Cajun Boudin Balls....

Options
Stephendw9
Stephendw9 Posts: 88 Member
Everyone from South Louisiana stretching over to Houston love Boudin Balls, a staple of Cajun cooking.

Below is the recipe with pics for homemade Cajun Boudin Balls.

Prep time: 125 min. Makes 22 Boudin Balls.

28 oz. Boneless Pork Shoulder
1 Yellow Onion - Medium
1 Green Bell Pepper
4 cloves of Garlic
2 cups of cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp chopped Green Onion, green tops only
1.5 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning of your choice
1.5 tsp Tabasco Sauce
7 Tbsp Zatarian's Seasoned Fish Fry
Canola Oil

Directions:

Cut pork shoulder into 1 inch blocks, dice the yellow onion, dice the bell pepper (remove stem and insides), and mince the 4 cloves of garlic.

Mix all into pot and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. After reaching a boil, uncover the pot, bring down to a simmer and cook for 1 hour and 45 min.

After removing from heat, strain the meat and vegetables, but keep the cooking broth. Place the meat and vegetables into a food processor and blend finely. Put the finely blended mixture into a bowl.

Mix into meat/vegetable blend the green onions, dried thyme, dried oregano, cayenne pepper, cajun seasoning, and rice. Keep the mixture moist by adding some cooking broth into the mixture when becoming dry.

Roll the mixture into balls about 1-1.5 inches. While rolling (or after all are complete), roll the boudin balls in the Zatarian's fish fry. Cover completely and then place into oil. Oil can be in a fryer or on a pan on the stove. Oil should be at 350 degrees. Balls cook for 4-6 minutes or until brown.

Remove from oil, let cool and serve.

A great dipping sauce would be a remoulade sauce.

Nutritional Info Per Cajun Boudin Ball:
Calories: 122, Carbs: 9, Fat: 7, Cholesterol: 25, Sodium: 199, Sugar: 1, Protein: 7, Fiber: 1

Step 1:
7904435246_10ab3ff967.jpg

Step 2:
7904430668_808f585317.jpg

Step 3:
7904427574_cf62984823.jpg

Step 4:
7904423646_42a0c44a37.jpg

Replies

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    These sound and look delicious. What is fish fry? Is it like a breadcrumb
  • Stephendw9
    Options
    These sound and look delicious. What is fish fry? Is it like a breadcrumb

it's basically a corn mill breading that a lot of people use for fried seafood
  • Picola1984
    Options
    I see, I saw the other day something that I may use instead. Its a Japanese coating for crispy chicken, meat etc but forgotten the name!

These do look yummy!
  • Stephendw9
    Options
    I see, I saw the other day something that I may use instead. Its a Japanese coating for crispy chicken, meat etc but forgotten the name!

These do look yummy!

I've never heard of a Japanese type coating, but I live in the South and when you want to fry anything, they have about 10-20 different types of opinions on what coatings to use. But I bet it would be just as tasty on the boudin balls......
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Those look awesome Stephen! Toss a few this way!
  • 4Elyse2012
    4Elyse2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yum! Grew up in Louisiana but living in Colorado the past 4 years......will be making these soon! Thanks for posting!
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options

These do look yummy!

I think you are thinking of Panko breadcrumbs- they give a very crispy coating. :)
  • hml86
    hml86 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Omg...these look so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing Stephen!! Now u have me hungry for some!
  • Picola1984
    Options

These do look yummy!

I think you are thinking of Panko breadcrumbs- they give a very crispy coating. :)

Yes! That's the stuff :)
  • seamonkey789
    Options
    Panko bread crumbs aren't going to give the same results as cornmeal. If you don't have access to the fish fry we have down here, you can get regular corn meal and spice the crap out of it