Do you guys experience this..?

Options
So started working out last summer to lose weight to get ready for senior year of HS (i still work out now). I went from 256-185 but when i look in the mirror, i still see myself as a fat guy even though my friends say i lost a lot of weight and that i look better. I can't seem to seethe changes i've made.

Replies

• mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Great job on losing so much weight, and you will see the changes in your clothes and the way you feel!

Keep it up OK :D
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have this too. I have lost 65 lbs, but I am still overweight and that is all I see, not the accomplishment. I have seen a few threads on mfp where other people talk about having the same problem. I just hope my mind catches up with my body and that I can learn to appreciate what I have been able to do.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, I cannot really see it at all. The only way I can see it is if I compare pictures of my face before and now side by side. It is really frustrating!!
  • leolin6
    leolin6 Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm sure you look much different. Sometimes your body shape might not change a lot but just get smaller. If you measured yourself or saved clothes that you wore when you were at your highest weight. Pull them out and I'm sure you'll see the difference on paper or in the mirror if you try those clothes on. Way to go, by the way!!
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!
  • Gabrielle456
    Options
    It's frustrating because I made so a lot of progress but I guess those negative voices in my head still linger from the people who kept calling me fat and saying bad things
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think it takes time for your brain to adjust.

My best friend went from a 16 to a 2. She still sees the plus size girl.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Yes! I always need a belt to keep my pants/jeans up, and I still see 'the fat girl' in the mirror.

Sure I bought a few new pants/jeans, but, I still hate getting my picture taken because I don't want to see what I did years ago. Friends tell me I look so much better, but I just don't really see it.
  • cambridgegirl309
    cambridgegirl309 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yep. I still look at pictures of myself and I see NO difference. But it must be there?????
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    It's frustrating because I made so a lot of progress but I guess those negative voices in my head still linger from the people who kept calling me fat and saying bad things

For every bad thing someone said you have lost at least 1lb so add up all your lbs and you are the winner for sure!!!

Forget all those people, you are you and you are important to YOU!

Keep it up :-)
  • thomasglee
    Options
    I've been in shape and I've been way overweight. When in shape though, I too only saw the overweight, out of shape guy when I looked in the mirror. It's one reason, I believe, why I often let myself fall back out of shape.

I ballooned up to nearly 280 pounds a couple of years ago, which was the largest I ever let myself get. Starting about a year ago I began working on losing weight, but also doing so in a slow, controlled manner (don't want to yo-yo). I'm down to 230, but have about 40 more to go. This time I am DETERMINED not to continue seeing the "fat" me in the mirror.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. I still see myself as the 300lb fat guy. People have said how great I look, and I do see a differnece, but I think I have been the "funny fat guy" for so long, that I still see myself that way. I'm not sure if there is a way to change that perception, or even if I want to. I enjoyed being the funny fat guy, and I am the same person... just now without the "fat" part.
  • Tkichler
    Tkichler Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think I will always see the fat chick, especially without clothes. Clothed, I am starting to see the change though.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Id say, ask your parents to get you some counseling. This is a direct reflection of your self esteem. It may be okay in high school, but once you get into the adult world, that low self esteem will turn into a cyclone that you will have a harder time with, and it will affect your everyday life. It will affect your job, your friends, your schooling, and --especially-- the women you may or may not date. Hope all works out for the best. Great job on the weight loss. You are a huge leg up on your compadres as far as effort and dedication is concerned! Keep going!

P.S.----counseling is not just for crazy people. If you have accomplished something big, you need to find a way to shed whatever bad feelings you have had, and be able to see yourself in a new light. You can do it!

Edited: my bad dude.....
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have this, I don't see it at all, I think it takes a while for your brain to catch up with your body. :/
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, so much. I put on weight after being anorexic though so I doubt i will ever see myself as not fat.
  • maczope
    maczope Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I experienced it when I lost 60 pounds. I felt the same, and didn't feel like anyone treated me any differently. I ended up gaining the weight back, and can see and feel a huge difference. I wish everyday that i could be at the place again. It sucks that I have to start again. Moral of the story, don't give up.
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So started working out last summer to lose weight to get ready for senior year of HS (i still work out now). I went from 256-185 but when i look in the mirror, i still see myself as a fat guy even though my friends say i lost a lot of weight and that i look better. I can't seem to seethe changes i've made.

This is quite a common problem with people who have been big for a while. If you take a piece of paper about the size you are and draw you body on it then have some one trace your figure out. you will see the areas of exaggeration. This is common. I was skinny for years but in this exercise I draw a pregnant man as my fat accumulates in my stomach area I used to joke about my twins. So yes this is quite common.
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As Julia Roberts says in Pretty Woman - "It's easier to remember the bad stuff". It's human nature. We see ourselves in a certain way no matter how we actually look.

Keep looking at before and after pics. That is the only thing that has helped me not see the frumpy woman I used to be. It's visual proof to wrap my brain around that I have, indeed, made some pretty significant changes to my lifestyle and how I look.

Keep up the great work you are doing Gabrielle! It is making a difference in your health.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Take an older picture of you that is very unflattering and hold it up to a newer picture of you.
    Put them side by side and set it somewhere visible that only you will see, such as your dresser drawer, that sort.

I think we would all have a better self-esteem if we saw ourselves from other people's eyes.

256 to 185 is AWESOME.

That is so freakin awesome in just one summer!!

Also, instead of looking in the mirror, listen to your body. How much easier is it for you to do things. How much easier is it to lift as much as you do now. 185 is simply fabulous!