accuracy check....

Options
Ok if I am doing intervals of 3mph/ 5mph and it comes to a mile in 15 min... then how can i put that on here more accurately? I put it in as intervals and just deal with the fact that I know its not accurate. However, i know that when you put it on the 5mph/ 12 min mile the calories shoot up to 500 burned... I just want the most accurate thing as I cant afford a HRM right now...

I appreciate the help!! :)

Replies

• tltincher
    tltincher Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure:( However, I found this formula online to calculate your burn using your average heart rate. You can just take it ever so often manually and average it out. ****Not sure how accurate this formula is, just started using it. I'm hoping to get some feedback through the forum.

[(weight x 0.0574) + (age x 0.074) + (average heart rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] / 4.184
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    Ok if I am doing intervals of 3mph/ 5mph and it comes to a mile in 15 min... then how can i put that on here more accurately? I put it in as intervals and just deal with the fact that I know its not accurate. However, i know that when you put it on the 5mph/ 12 min mile the calories shoot up to 500 burned... I just want the most accurate thing as I cant afford a HRM right now...

500 calories for walking a 15 min mile? I don't know what you are really burning but it is not that. I run for 40 mins straight at a faster speed then that to burn almost 500 calories. Invest in a HRM, you will be happy you did. Your mile is probably closer to 100- 120 calories burned.
  • Sierrasmommy
    Options

500 calories for walking a 15 min mile? I don't know what you are really burning but it is not that. I run for 40 mins straight at a faster speed then that to burn almost 500 calories. Invest in a HRM, you will be happy you did. Your mile is probably closer to 100- 120 calories burned.

Well for one, Im a lot heavier than you and the heavier you are the more calories you burn.
    Two I stated I did a mile in 15 min... in total I did 2 miles in 30 min with a 5 min cool down.
    Three, I already stated I cant afford an HRM right now.
    Im just going based on MFP's calculations.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've just started interval training on the treadmill. I enter the times and speeds all separately.

For example, today I did 20 mins. I walked for half at 3.5 (uphill 2% incline) Then my intervals of running were either 6.0mph or 6.5mph.

You can view my workout from today and I've got it logged already.

I am aiming for 30 mins of intervals.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I am noticeably larger than everyone on this thread. I'm basically a porterhouse steak with feet. (6'3 / 270 pounds).

It is true that if you weigh more, you tend to "burn more." However, from what I have seen, MFP WAY overestimates "calories burned."

If I log 90 minutes of martial arts training, the system posts numbers of 1400+ calories. There is no conceivable way I am burning that many calories in a single workout. In fact, Trainer/HRM calculations for me typically calculate "calories burned" at around 50% of what MFP calculates.

..edited for typos.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    When you choose an exercise, you can edit the caloires burned just the same as you can edit the number of minutes, etc.
  • titanium2012
    Options
    I agree with the above. This website overestimates the calories burned. I go by other websites info that sounds more reasonable or the machines at the gym that tell you how many calories after you enter your info.
  • mbraley92
    Options

When I do intervals, I figure out how many minutes total I'm doing each speed. Such as in a 20 minute workout, I may do 8 minutes at 6mph, and 12 minutes at 4mph. I just input those separately.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options

Well for one, Im a lot heavier than you and the heavier you are the more calories you burn.
    Two I stated I did a mile in 15 min... in total I did 2 miles in 30 min with a 5 min cool down.
    Three, I already stated I cant afford an HRM right now.
    Im just going based on MFP's calculations.

Sierrasmommy you are correct to NOT compare yourself to others who are not of your weight & height. You can find a calorie burning calculator online to get a more accurate calories burned amount. YOu enter your weight the exercises are listed, you go down the list and put in the time that you did that exercise and it will calculate it for you. Thats how I do it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    When I did intervals on the treadmill, I entered my weight & other info, and used the calorie burn from that instead of from MFP. Same goes for using runkeeper outside.

Sometimes I'll go with the average total pace, too. If you average 4 mph, use 4mph.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    So many runners on this site. If I'm "running," it's because I'm out of ammo and/or something has gone horribly wrong. ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I run now so I'll be able to escape when things go horribly wrong. One of my favorite routes takes me around a small cemetery, then through some wooded trails where I pretend the zombies are chasing me.

Maturity. I haz it.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I'm not worried about zombies. They weigh like 110 pounds. P*ssies.
  • NicoleisQuantized
    NicoleisQuantized Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about zombies. They weigh like 110 pounds. P*ssies.

LMAO
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I just over ride the MFP numbers with those from my HRM the numbers here are strange
  • SuggieDa
    SuggieDa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It looks like we are about the same weight. I walk the elliptical at about a 3 mile an hour pace and I burn about 100 calories every 10 minutes accordning to the machines I walk on. This sights says that in 30 minutes I burn over 500 and I know that is way off.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    When you enter the exercise into MFP I would just change the calories burned number to half of what it gives you. I have found that it is much more accurate that way. When I use my HRM the calories burned are normally half of what MFP would tell me. Also, go with a lower intensity than you think you have done... we normally think we are working out harder than we really are.

Once you can afford a HRM I would invest in one... you can get them pretty inexpensive online. I got mine at a fitness store that was closing for $60 (Polar model).
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like using iMapMyRun, an app on my cell. With my GPS enabled, it tracks and estimates calories burned, and tracks your distance, speed, etc.

I typically track my 'intervals' done at different speeds separately based on time spent for each one. For example today I ran for 145 minutes.

45 minutes at 4.5 mph (warm-up/cool-down/midway breaks)
    100 minutes at 5-6 mph

Of course, without a HRM everything is an 'estimate'.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    So many runners on this site. If I'm "running," it's because I'm out of ammo and/or something has gone horribly wrong. ;)

Hahaha :laugh: Totally agree
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I would definitely lower my calorie estimates from MFP by 30-40%. That is about the difference I found after getting an HRM. Right now I have a boot camp video that I do that gets my heart rate up pretty high for about 30 minute and I burn about 350 calories. I do think there is a difference in height and weight as far as calories burned but I have found that the more I lose and the better shape I get in I am working much harder during my workouts so I have not noticed a drop in calories burned as I have lost weight. I am still over 200 lbs so I am definitely not a light weight.