Could use some opinions on bad carbs

Options
Hey guys, I am a female, 19, and weigh around 120lbs. I love to exercise and I get plenty of it! My question is about eating bad carbs though. I eat anywhere from 1850-2100 calories a day and maintain my weight just fine. The thing is, I always struggle with resisting dessert. I LOVE desserts.. unfortunately. I recently found these clabber girl whole grain cookie mixes that have some good fiber in them also. I have been making them for my nighttime snack lately even though I know that they say to steer clear of bad carbs completely. My question is: Since I am fit and exercise almost daily, how much do I really have to worry about enjoy these cookies at night? As long as I am staying in my calories would they even cause me to gain weight?

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Probably not at your age, but it's best to start eating healthy for optimum health as early as you can. For dessert, there are many many recipes that are very healthy and make a tasty dessert.

Try this recipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRVUelINA5I&
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Carbs are only "bad" if you're a diabetic. Even then, it's more the quantity than the source. Mostly.

It sounds like you're doing beautifully and your thinking is right. I don't see any reason to worry about those cookies. At all.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    As long as you're staying within your calorie max and your overall carbs don't exceed 40% (which is the highest percentage that most common diets allow) you'll probably be OK.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever tf you want to if it fits your macro\cal count for whatever your goal is (lose\maintain\gain)
  • CGault11
    Options
    You can eat whatever tf you want to if it fits your macro\cal count for whatever your goal is (lose\maintain\gain)

This. There are no bad carbs.
  • hilltopsarah
    Options
    with all of your exercising, carbs do play an important role in your energy and performance and for that I congradulate you:wink: for your bad carb concern I say dont beat yourself up about have your late night desserts but remember to keep them in moderation
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Dont miss the forest for the trees.

Cookies (or "bad carbs") in the context of an otherwise healthy, balanced diet is not a big deal.
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    They're whole wheat mixes, you said? If it's 100% whole wheat then it's not what people consider a "bad" carb. So as long as it's whole grain, and you're not sitting there eating 5 of these puppies a night and are sticking close to your macros, I would say there's not really much of anything to worry about, as long as you don't have some sort of sensitivity. =)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    As long as you're staying within your calorie max and your overall carbs don't exceed 40% (which is the highest percentage that most common diets allow) you'll probably be OK.
    Many diets exceed 70%. The diets with the best long term results for overall health, like Esselstyn's, Mcdougall's, Graham's and Barnard's diets are all high carbohydrate diets.