Primal / Paleo - thoughts please!

Options
Hi I want to lose about another 28lb in the next 60 days. As you can see by my ticker I have been somewhat successful in weightloss so far, but November 5th is my birthday AND is my target date. I am thinking the paleo/primal diet will get this weight off quickly??

I am eating reasonably clean already, although I am not strict about the odd piece of multigrain bread, and 0% greek yoghurts and fruits. I train every day in the gym, heavy weights in supersets/circuits x 5 days with one day doing a bit of cardio for about 45mins. I also cycle about 20 miles a week to and from work. Obviously I won't be stopping this lifting regime so my main worry is that this type of diet will affect my energy levels and my workouts.

Does anyone have any experience or advice you can offer please?

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    Options
    My personal opinion is that the diets are fads. In 2011/12 the top 20 or so diets were ranked and those were placed dead last.

Additionally, I think setting deadlines for weight loss can be self-defeating or even dangerous.

Don't go over your calorie limit, eat healthy, and find a good macronutrient ratio.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Eating a paleo/primal diet will definitely help you lose. However, most look at it as more of a lifestyle change, rather than a quick way to lose weight. I can say that since switching to a primal lifestyle, it's helped me lose those last few stubborn pounds, and my energy levels have been awesome. Overall, I *feel* so much better - and being freed of my sugar cravings has been incredibly liberating. This way of life won't effect your lifting routine at all; in fact it'll only help improve it.

This is a great place to start:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz254Tw5byC

Mark Sisson is one of the many big names in the primal/paleo community. He has some great info and links to other amazing blogs.

I also love to listen to podcasts. My favorites so far are Latest in Palo by Angelo Coppala, and Fat Burning Man by Abel James.

Best of luck on your decision! There's a pale/primal support group on here too :smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about paleo/primal eating, but honestly, losing 28 lbs (of fat) in 60 days is not a very realistic goal. That's nearly half a pound a day. The closer you get to goal, the slower it's going to come off. If you currently eat a high/moderate amount of carbs, cutting them significantly will give you an initial drop in water weight, but I presume you're more interested in losing fat? You've done an amazing job so far, and in your profile pictures you look great. If it was me, (which in a way it is - I'd love to reach my goal by my birthday) I'd just carry on as you are, be proud of what you've achieved and let the weight come off at a healthy, sustainable rate.
  • scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love this site! You guys are so straight talking. Loveit.

Thanks for responding, Shane yes it's not a diet, can't believe I said that - my bad - bubblicious I am still reading lol, and Jester thanks for your nice words, I know I am being unrealistic now, it's just that I had my goal set in January and want to make it by my target date.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love this site! You guys are so straight talking. Loveit.

Thanks for responding, Shane yes it's not a diet, can't believe I said that - my bad - bubblicious I am still reading lol, and Jester thanks for your nice words, I know I am being unrealistic now, it's just that I had my goal set in January and want to make it by my target date.

Losing 81lbs is an awesome accomplishment! Congrats on your loss so far :) There's quite a few on here that are primal and paleo, so if decide that it's a change you'd like to make, you'll have a great support group!