Losing at 1200 cals??

Options
I have tried low cals and higher cals. Nothing seems to be working...so, I am going BACK to low cals (1200). Please respond if you've had success with this. I need all the support I can get. I've been using MFP since July 1st and feel like I should have lost much more than I have. I am so frustrated. Some people have told me to eat more, so I did, then some have said to eat less, so I have. I just cannot find what works for me. GRRRRR:grumble:

Replies

• JMarie5390
    Options
    Have faith, this does work. I've lost most of mine through a lower calorie lifestyle, roughly 1250 per day. Every now and then I'll increase it to 1600-1800 on the weekends. Food for thought, take a look at Primal Blueprint and Paleo eating. I swear to it. It goes against conventional wisdom/eating but so many Doctors support this way of eating. http://www.marksdailyapple.com is a great website to look at, especially the success stories.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Thats what I eat and I have had a lot of success, some days I eat more because of exercise and sometimes I have a treat but I try to stick to 1200
  • Pomroy89
    Options
    I have tried low cals and higher cals. Nothing seems to be working...so, I am going BACK to low cals (1200). Please respond if you've had success with this. I need all the support I can get. I've been using MFP since July 1st and feel like I should have lost much more than I have. I am so frustrated. Some people have told me to eat more, so I did, then some have said to eat less, so I have. I just cannot find what works for me. GRRRRR:grumble:
    [/quote

I'm in some boat... I'll add yu we can support each other x
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Did a quick scan through your diary.

Almost never do you go over 1200 calories, 1200 calories is known to be at least a MINIMUM.. and when you do eat, your carbs are almost doubled compared to your protein.. (I have that issue)

Eat at least 1200 calories at the very minimum I'd say.. and eat more protein to carbs, and you'll then probably see a difference.
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Did a quick scan through your diary.

Almost never do you go over 1200 calories, 1200 calories is known to be at least a MINIMUM.. and when you do eat, your carbs are almost doubled compared to your protein.. (I have that issue)

Eat at least 1200 calories at the very minimum I'd say.. and eat more protein to carbs, and you'll then probably see a difference.
    That is a tip I haven't seen and will be trying that. I stalled for 2 months then lost when (out of desperation) i dropped to 900 a day.
    I lost a few pounds in a week. It worries me that that may be the calories I need to eat to lose any weight and that 1250 might be my maintenance calories.
  • aimeelouwhite
    aimeelouwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster.... up the protein and lower the carbs a little. I find when I eat more protein I lose more and stay fuller. I have found that for me I actually need to eat at least 1400 a day (162cm and 79kg) and I always eat back most if not all of my exercise calories.. .those are the things that have worked for me... oh and cutting down on the sodium and drinking lots of water! Good luck!
  • emileesgram
    emileesgram Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have been at 1200 for almost 9 months now and it works for me. I do eat back my exercise calories. I also concentrate on higher protein lower carbs and sugar. I do cardio and strength training 3 times a week. I have lost weight at a pretty slow but consistent rate.
  • jennifermaffei17
    Options
    I started back to it last Saturday. Worked out, for the most part, for 30 minutes every day and lost 2lbs.
    You can do it. Just eat back at least 95% of your exercise calories and drink plenty of water.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-ish a day and eat back some, but not all, of my exercise calories. I've lost 27 pounds in 6.5 months. I do cardio and lift 5-6 days a week. I have my macros set to 40 protein, 30 fat, 30 carbs. It's been working well. I noticed that reducing my carbs and increasing my protein really helped me get over a plateau.
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I try to eat between 1200-1400 a day but sometimes I go over. I watch my sodium and straight calories more than anything else. I go to bootcamp 3 days a week and exercise on my own at least the other 3 days. I drink LOTS of water too. I don't eat as clean as I should but I've found what works for me. I've lost 17 lbs since I joined MFP. It can be done. You just have to figure out what works....
  • tasha_24
    Options
    Im eating 1200 a day and have lost 10lbs in 3 weeks so it does work, My only exercise is 20min on the treadmill 4 - 5 times a week, be patient it will work :)
  • suzmagana
    suzmagana Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost 10- lbs in about 5 weeks at 1200 cal day and then NOTHING for the last month. Eating about the same. Working out about the same. I have friends who swear by the "cheat day" - 1 day a week of super high calories to "reset your metabolism." Have any of you done it? Do you see it making a difference?
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

quit listening to everyone else and find what works for you .... I eat around 1200 and I don't even log my food anymore cause it's just a habit now.

A calorie deflect will show a difference no matter what so just find what works for you and keep at it.

Some points I have heard of ppl not logging alcohol drinks ... if you do drink alcohol just know you could have had a full meal at the cost of only a few drinks.

Also you don't have allot of weight to lose so it gets harder and harder the closer you get to your goal
  • becmwc
    Options
    This is generally what happens to me when I am counting calories--I lose 5 lbs in one week--which is probably water weight, then I plateau for about 3 weeks with the scale not budging---I get discouraged and decide I might as well eat since I am not losing anyway--then I quickly gain back the 5 lbs and more. I did at one time lose 15 lbs on Atkins, but started gaining the weight back when I started adding carbs back to my diet--so now I have decided to do two diets at once---Mon-Thurs I am going to do 1200 calories, then Fri-Sun I am going to do Atkins .Let you all know how it works out--
  • marni35
    Options
    If you work out it's very important to eat back whatever calories you burn... otherwise it may mess with your metabalism. :) Good luck! This is what I do and it's working well!!!
  • texjenn
    texjenn Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't usually go down to 1200 but stay around 1400 to 1500. I've lost about a pound a week.
    I would normally have a high calorie day once a week ~2000. It seems to work for me so my body doesn't think I'm in starvation mode.
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    1200 cals work just fine for me. I've been able to shed 34 pounds thus far and excited to lose another 15-10 pounds.
  • serzmulz
    Options
    I feel I'm in the same boat, but while the scales are not really going down, I think I have loss inches, but never measured (stupid me). Everyone on here appears to have lost a lot quickly and I have been on it for nearly 5 weeks and it is like it is not coming off! I run up to 5 times a week, sometimes go over calories, but normally only on weekend. I eat lots of vegies and protein, not sure what I am doing wrong. Maybe just being impatient and need to give it time :-p
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    find a medium, I try for 1250 net. If you can try and eat back you cals. if your not already. I usually eat 1500-2000, but exercise brings it down.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I feel I'm in the same boat, but while the scales are not really going down, I think I have loss inches, but never measured (stupid me). Everyone on here appears to have lost a lot quickly and I have been on it for nearly 5 weeks and it is like it is not coming off! I run up to 5 times a week, sometimes go over calories, but normally only on weekend. I eat lots of vegies and protein, not sure what I am doing wrong. Maybe just being impatient and need to give it time :-p

I have lost more inches than pounds, I get frustrated with the scale, I lost 6 pants sizes this year so far, but only 35 lbs. I just feel like that number should be higher.....then again I've always been real hard on myself too. I've been on here since end of January, so almost 8 months.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!