Newbie struggling with cravings

Options
I started MFP a week ago and have been struggling with cravings. Luckily they don't last long, but they're intense and have been getting more frequent. I want to eat all the things!

Replies

• LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If I ever figure it out, I'll let you know ;)

Welcome btw!
  • zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    I started MFP a week ago and have been struggling with cravings. Luckily they don't last long, but they're intense and have been getting more frequent. I want to eat all the things!

Mind over matter.. Train until you master it. :)

Welcome to MFP!
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt with sweetener (Stevia) in it. - smooth, creamy, sweet and healthy.
    I also eat chocolate and treats sometimes. Just plan for it and count it on your food log.
    Build it into your plan ahead of time so you won't feel deprived and you can look forward to it.
    Good luck - you are already well on your way!
  • 912systems
    912systems Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Join the club. I have been doing this since May and it does get easier. Remember, you get a cheat day once a week so you can go overboard just a little bit. Just hang in and you can do it...
  • freyamaclachlan
    Options
    its ok to give into some cravings just make sure you keep in your calorie limit <3
  • ablasa1958
    ablasa1958 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also an newbie and also struggle with cravings.... but I am motivated by the fact that I can see everything I eat (or want to eat). It helps me to choose wisely....:blushing:
  • thinnerclaire77
    thinnerclaire77 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anyone out there who can honestly say they never get cravings. as most of the other people have said, don't let your cravings get the better of you, but a little bit now and again, won't hurt anyone. often your cravings are your bodies way of saying that it actually needs something, there are however cravings that are from your brain, just testing you. you need to learn which ones are which. log everything and don't deprive yourselve, that is the sure fire way of failing.
  • SHAL215
    SHAL215 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Definitely logging everything! It makes me feel accountable for what I'm eating and I've been uber successful at not giving into the cravings - but it's hard!
    Thanks everyone for the support & suggestions :)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The way I deal with them (most of the time) is to decide I CAN have it...just not right now. So if it's french fries or a reese's cup or whatever, and I'm craving it today, I'll decide that I can have it on Tuesday, if I still want it. It's true that you can eat whatever as long as it 'fits' in your daily goals but I know myself and soon it becomes a daily thing or a twice daily thing. Delaying the gratification makes me more in control of it. And as for dealing with it at the moment, knowing I will have it (later) helps and then I can eat an apple or something to take the edge of my hunger, which helps the craving go away.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Watch your carbs and white knuckle it for about three weeks. They go away, mostly.
  • donna_m_larson
    Options
    me too! I'm on day one of my own personal 30 day challenge. Part of my challenge is to faithfully track here on MFP. I like all kinds of foods, bad for me and good for me. I'm having a hard time right now, after supper. I'm very much looking forward to my f/f, s/f chocolate pudding pop I made later. That's the only thing keep me going right now.

Good luck!
  • RingoBeatlesgal
    Options
    don't deprive your cravings or you might cave in and then over eat what you're craving. I used to do this to myself and I intially felt bitter and cranky all the time. Find the lower fat version of what you're craving and indulge on that. For instance, my weakness was icecream and chocolate. By doing research at the grocery store I found skinny cow icecreams in a variety of flavors and hostess cupcakes in the 100 packs. Another great indulgence were the special K chocolaty bars at 90 calories each. I only allow myself up to one of these indulgences a day and it really helps.

Typically I want more than one serving a day, but I curb that craving by eating fruit for a sweet treat. Another thing I do is chew trident gum in a variety of flavors. Cinnamon is great at curbing that craving.

Bottom line: find a healthier alternative and eat that alternative in moderation. It will still suck at first, but your body WILL get used to this! :)
  • Substances
    Substances Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Drink a full glass of water and do something that'll keep your hands busy.

Or, if you just REALLY want it, try to find a healthier alternative, or eat less of it.

Say you want strawberry ice cream. Instead, try a strawberry flavored frozen yogurt, they usually have half of the calories.
    You want chocolate? Get a glass of milk, add chocolate sauce, voila. Healthy and probably far less calories.
  • soph120
    Options
    I don't know about setting aside a day every week... but if you want something really badly, have a little and log it. If you plan to have a cheat day all your cravings will be building up until that one day and you'll go overboard. If you want something in the moment, go for it! It's a lifestyle change not just a diet :)
  • Gimpdogg
    Gimpdogg Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think all the tricks help but the only thing that seems to work for me is to try and stay busy. Occupy your time and try to limit down time like tv that's when mine are at their worse.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Depends on the craving and the reason for it. I've collected some information and suggestions for different kinds of cravings at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ignore it, it will go away but I do give in from time to time. Just log it and see how bad it is and you will change. mind over matter the results are worth it. I used to see commercials and think that looks good, not I think "how bad is that"
  • PearlMarie_3gen_11484
    Options
    I have been doing this for almost two years and it does get easier. Remember, you get a cheat day once a week so you can go overboard just a little bit. Just hang in and you can do it...

Welcome!
  • skamm59
    skamm59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing MFP for a year. I STILL GET CRAVINGS, but I've learned that you can give in to them sometimes. I'm not perfect by any means. There are some days that are harder than others. But stick with it and you will succeed. I've lost 64 lbs by tracking everything I eat/drink. Even when you go over, which I have done occassionally, don't feel guilty and give up:brokenheart. Just realize that that day was what it was and move on knowing that you are still on track even if you stray one time.

Good luck and welcome to MFP.
  • jean701
    jean701 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I try and keep raw veggies and fruit as snacks, have a big bottle that holds atleast 6 cups, I drink two of them during the day ;). I think cravings are normal, and it's ok to eat them, I just measure the amount, and I make sure I count the calories. ;)...my biggest is salty chips and sweets :)