How to get protein w/o shakes?

Options
I've tried protein shakes before but I can't seem to stomach drinking them. I throw them up 95% of the time and the other 5% was feeling nauseated for 10min before munching on a slice of bread. Is there any other way of getting your daily protein w/o mass amounts of calories? I've done string cheese but the calories on them add up quickly like 3 sticks is around 240cal. Peanut butter is too high of calories and I can't for the life of me cook up chicken w/o panicking that I under-cooked it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Get a meat thermometer and cook chicken properly.
    Tilapia
    Tuna
    Any fish for that matter
    Shrimp
    Lean cuts of beef
    Pork
    Eggs
    Turkey
    Greek Yogurt
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I will try finding some low-cal recipes with eggs. I'm not a big meat eater or fish eater. Occasionally will eat tuna salad sandwiches but I'd like to find something that doesn't use mayonnaise/miracle whip. I'm an incredibly picky eater so finding substitutes can be tough.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Get a meat thermometer and cook chicken properly.
    Tilapia
    Tuna
    Any fish for that matter
    Shrimp
    Lean cuts of beef
    Pork
    Eggs
    Turkey
    Greek Yogurt

^top notch ideas there. I personally go with 1.5 lbs of chicken breast a day for the bulk of my protein
  • RobinM1976
    Options
    I think you have been reading my mind. I was thinking about asking this same question. Thanks for posting it!!!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be rude, but... Stop being such a picky eater.

A narrow range of food that was mostly bad for you may be how you got to the weight you don't want.
    Keep trying new things in small amounts, prepared different ways. Try something you "know you don't like" several more times. Try them when you're actually hungry.

This process is about growth and change. That might be a positive direction to try.
  • goodman2559
    Options
    My first thoughts were egg whites, yogurt, peanut butter, legumes
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options

A narrow range of food that was mostly bad for you may be how you got to the weight you don't want.
    Keep trying new things in small amounts, prepared different ways. Try something you "know you don't like" several more times. Try them when you're actually hungry.

This process is about growth and change. That might be a positive direction to try.

well said - when my kids were small and trying new foods they had to try something cooked 3 different ways at least 3 different times before they got to say they didnt like it and could take it off their list of foods to eat ie - tuna salad one day - another time tuna steaks and yet a 3rd time steamed tuna with lemon butter and practicing what I preached helped me to start eating more varied foods.
  • goodman2559
    Options
    Here is another Quinoa. Check out this article http://www.marksdailyapple.com/top-ten-protein-sources/#axzz25G5BNZK2
  • goodman2559
    Options
    Have you tried making your tuna salad with plan greek yogurt? It's not bad. Don't get me wrong it does not taste the same as mayo but it is much better for you. You could probably add some spices (pepper) to give it more flavor. Give it a try.
  • CyeRyn
    Options

This might sound rather awkward but I'm a picky eater because of the texture of certain foods, not necessarily that I aim to eat unhealthy foods versus non-healthy foods. I will admit that a year ago my choices in food/drinks were not the best but I have changed that in the last 8mo. for the better it's just trying to find things I can tolerate (texture-wise). One of the reasons I'm on a diet was because I gained weight after quitting smoking. I compensated for the nicotine fits/habit of putting something near my mouth with food so my calorie intake increased too. Took gaining 40lbs to figure out what I was doing.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    One consideration, and you'd have to tread carefully here since whey was making you sick: Try a different brand of whey AND instead of drinking it, use it in a recipe. You can either add it to foods or use it in various baked goods or desserts. You can end up with a moderately low calorie item that tastes good and has a lot of protein.

People do pancakes, muffins, etc.

Get a different brand than you currently have tried though, just in case it's the brand making you sick.
  • ashley67203
    Options

Yes, you can make yourself like any food. Pick a food you don't like and force yourself to eat it - then wait a week and do it again. Gradually you will stop hating it and eventually you will like it. I was able to get over all of my aversions to food this way. Sometimes it takes awhile but it always works.
  • sionnain
    Options
    beans, rice, cereal, bread, nuts & nut butters, etc.
  • renegadecupid
    Options
    Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt 6oz. 18 grams of protein per 100 cal serving. It's an acquired taste, but worth it.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    My fave is 2 hard boiled eggs for a quick source of protein
  • CyeRyn
    Options
    Feel free to look at my food diary and you can get a good summary of the things I do enjoy eating.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

This might sound rather awkward but I'm a picky eater because of the texture of certain foods, not necessarily that I aim to eat unhealthy foods versus non-healthy foods. I will admit that a year ago my choices in food/drinks were not the best but I have changed that in the last 8mo. for the better it's just trying to find things I can tolerate (texture-wise). One of the reasons I'm on a diet was because I gained weight after quitting smoking. I compensated for the nicotine fits/habit of putting something near my mouth with food so my calorie intake increased too. Took gaining 40lbs to figure out what I was doing.

I'm very familiar with texture concerns. I have a 16 year old special needs child that, among many other issues, has sensory problems.
    None of us are wired the same it seems and some folks are a little further off the norm than others in all sorts of ways. Still, they only way past an aversion is repeated low level exposure to the offending texture/taste/smell/feel. We've struggled for years to get my son from a cheeseburger only kid to someone that can enjoy a sushi dinner with us. Lots of patience and persistence.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I like getting canned chicken breast so I don't have to cook it myself (and I rinse it a lot to try to reduce the sodium.

Some of my favorite stables are cabbage salad with canned tuna or chicken breast and white wine vinegar.

Also, egg white frittatas with lean ground beef and spinach in them.