weird question

justsalad
justsalad Posts: 132 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Lately, when I try to eat, I just throw up -- stress related.
Two questions:

1. If I eat, and 5 minutes later I puke it back up, do the calories count ? Do I log it?

2. I'm going over all my days calories, because all I can keep down is juice when I try, or chicken broth. What do I do?

Replies

• I'm sorry I have no idea!!! I just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon!!!! :smile:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    I am not sure either but I wanted to bump this in hopes that someone can help you. How aweful!!!
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    I wouldn't think if you threw up 5 min after you should count it. Maybe like 1/4 of the calories, if that. I hope you feel better :( That must be very hard to deal with!
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    If you are being sick after every meal you need to see the doctor and stop thinking about your calorie intake. You are ill and dieting and illness DO NOT go together... Might sound like I being harsh but it is not normal so you need to be looked at!
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Agree LOUDLY with jaycee76
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    x3(what they said^)

Get better!
  • justsalad
    I know, my doctor can't see me until Friday however, and has just told me to keep taking gravol an hour before I eat, though it's not helping.

Thank you for the well wishes everyone!
  • I read somewhere that bulimic people throw up 30 percent of their calories. Not that you're bulimic. I'm glad that you're going to see the dr. You shouldn't be worrying about your calories right now, if you're already that stressed out. Right after my mom died I threw up like that for weeks. People kept asking me if I was pregnant. I hope you feel better.
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Ok if you cant get into your Dr but please do not diet until you have seen him/her.
    If you restrict your calories this week you could do alot of harm to your body. Until you see the doctor try and go with a healthy and balanced 2000. Try little and often. Nothing rich and sugary.
    Honestly to cut your calories while you are being sick could be very harmful!
  • You should definitely see a doctor! I had that problem a few years ago... the stress got so bad that it turned into depression because I felt like I couldn't do anything right and had no control over anything. You REALLY DON'T want it to get to this level.
    Also, do some at-home yoga videos. Classes are great, but it's not as easy to relax and focus in a group environment.

You are strong! Overcome this!
  • Are you not able to keep the food down or are you helping to bring it up? I hope it is not the second. If you can't keep the food down for now, try smaller amounts of food and then meal replacement drinks. You need the protien so the drinks can help you in that area.

Hope you get better soon.

Mark
  • faile486
    faile486 Posts: 21 Member
    Have you tried the BRATT diet?

It's the food you are supposed to eat if you can't keep anything else down: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast and Tea. All plain (no added sugar, cinnamon, jam etc). Avoid anything dairy. Plain water can be hard on a stomach if you're already sick, so tea is your best option for staying hydrated.

Liquid jello (the kind made in the microwave) can also be helpful. Saltines are generally easy on the stomach as well, but all the salt isn't going to be good if you can't keep any liquid down.

My Mom is an RN, and I don't think I was born with an immune system, so I'm pretty well versed in this stuff =p

Even if you can keep down BRATT diet items, you should still see your doctor ASAP.

For stress relief, walking is usually great but if you might be sick, I would avoid going out in public - both for your sake, and the health of others.
  • justsalad
    Are you not able to keep the food down or are you helping to bring it up? I hope it is not the second. If you can't keep the food down for now, try smaller amounts of food and then meal replacement drinks. You need the protien so the drinks can help you in that area.

Hope you get better soon.

Mark

Definitely not helping to bring it up, it only started Saturday morning, I woke up, and I just couldn't stand the smell of anything, I would make food, and it would make me nauseaus, then I would try and force myself to take a few bites, and for some reason it would just either not sit right and I couldn't finish anymore, or I would eat it but in a few minutes later it would make a grand re-entrance into the world.

I don't really know why, I know I'm stressed out about lots right now, but I have to wait to see my doctor until Friday unfortunately.
  • justsalad
    Have you tried the BRATT diet?

It's the food you are supposed to eat if you can't keep anything else down: Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast and Tea. All plain (no added sugar, cinnamon, jam etc). Avoid anything dairy. Plain water can be hard on a stomach if you're already sick, so tea is your best option for staying hydrated.

Liquid jello (the kind made in the microwave) can also be helpful. Saltines are generally easy on the stomach as well, but all the salt isn't going to be good if you can't keep any liquid down.

My Mom is an RN, and I don't think I was born with an immune system, so I'm pretty well versed in this stuff =p

Even if you can keep down BRATT diet items, you should still see your doctor ASAP.

For stress relief, walking is usually great but if you might be sick, I would avoid going out in public - both for your sake, and the health of others.

Thank you so much! I didn't even think of that, (BRATT) I'm going on day four of this bull****, can't seem to figure it out. Just gotta hold out til I can see my doctor Friday, unless he gets some open cancellations or something. I haven't been going out thats for sure, I don't think it's an illness, although today I'm getting a migraine but I figure its from all the sleeping, and throwing up, and no real nutirition in my body.
This discussion has been closed.