BodyMedia Fit?!?

Options
Hi i was thinking about getting a Bodymedia fit to help with my weight loss journey, im looking to find out what people think of them and what version you recommend getting. ?

Replies

• TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pkuro29
    Options
    Hi, I'll add my 2 cents to your question. First off, there's multiple "calorie monitors" in the market right now. BodyMedia, BodyBugg and FitBit seem to be the leaders in this. Some people like to just use heart monitors like Garmin to see how many calories their burning. There's a few discussions comparing them floating around the forum if you search for them. :)

Now as for the BodyMedia Fit, I personally own the Core model. Deciding between the Link and Core depends on your personal preferences. Here's some questions that I asked myself before I made my decision:
    1. Do I need to constantly see my progress on my phone?
    1a. If yes, is my phone compatible?
    2. Do I want a smaller, less noticeable armband?
    3. Cost?

Also, consider the benefits of other models:
    3. Do I want something that can be hidden in my pocket? (FitBit)
    4. Do I want just a pedometer or something that actually measure the calories I'm expending? (FitBit doesn't do that)
    5. Am I okay with the price? $99 for FitBit, $100+ for BB, BM models
    6. Am I okay with paying a subscription fee after my trial period? (FitBit's site is free, BodyMedia and BB have a fee of ~$8/month)

So like I said, I got the Core, and I really like it. It's thin enough where it looks like I'm just wearing my ipod nano on my arm. I will say that it took a little bit of getting used to when it came to wearing the arm band for 20 hours. Now I hardly notice it. Just play with the strap until it fits good. The only time I have a problem with it coming off is when I'm really sweaty and trying to do handstand pushups.

I mainly got the armband because I wanted to see exactly how much energy I was burning through the day. I knew the exercise calculators were overestimating my calorie expenditure. The algorithms are based off healthy 6 ft males, not 5'4" females. I like logging my food, and other users say this, their FB is not nearly as extensive as MFP. Fortunately, I eat a relatively boring diet, so I just created my food in about 10 minutes.

The user interface is lovely. Lots of bright colors and a plethora of information. I really like how you can export data. The handiest of these is to export weekly reports and track your progress. I just did this yesterday, and I calculated my weekly deficit. It said I should've lost 0.6 lbs this past week (it was a bad week), and I looked at my weight log exactly one week ago, I lost 0.6 lbs. So very accurate! I should note though, I am really meticulous about my food logging.

I haven't had any problems syncing or getting it to read me. Within five seconds of going on, it makes the little noise saying it's on me. Also, no problems with battery life and cleaning is a snap. I just wipe it down with an alcohol pad after exercising and showering.

I hope this helps you out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask more! Idk if this is allowed, but here's my personal link to BM, you can use it to get 15% off! http://bodymedia.extole.com/a/clk/1m0zSB Good luck!
  • TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'll add my 2 cents to your question. First off, there's multiple "calorie monitors" in the market right now. BodyMedia, BodyBugg and FitBit seem to be the leaders in this. Some people like to just use heart monitors like Garmin to see how many calories their burning. There's a few discussions comparing them floating around the forum if you search for them. :)

Now as for the BodyMedia Fit, I personally own the Core model. Deciding between the Link and Core depends on your personal preferences. Here's some questions that I asked myself before I made my decision:
    1. Do I need to constantly see my progress on my phone?
    1a. If yes, is my phone compatible?
    2. Do I want a smaller, less noticeable armband?
    3. Cost?

Also, consider the benefits of other models:
    3. Do I want something that can be hidden in my pocket? (FitBit)
    4. Do I want just a pedometer or something that actually measure the calories I'm expending? (FitBit doesn't do that)
    5. Am I okay with the price? $99 for FitBit, $100+ for BB, BM models
    6. Am I okay with paying a subscription fee after my trial period? (FitBit's site is free, BodyMedia and BB have a fee of ~$8/month)

So like I said, I got the Core, and I really like it. It's thin enough where it looks like I'm just wearing my ipod nano on my arm. I will say that it took a little bit of getting used to when it came to wearing the arm band for 20 hours. Now I hardly notice it. Just play with the strap until it fits good. The only time I have a problem with it coming off is when I'm really sweaty and trying to do handstand pushups.

I mainly got the armband because I wanted to see exactly how much energy I was burning through the day. I knew the exercise calculators were overestimating my calorie expenditure. The algorithms are based off healthy 6 ft males, not 5'4" females. I like logging my food, and other users say this, their FB is not nearly as extensive as MFP. Fortunately, I eat a relatively boring diet, so I just created my food in about 10 minutes.

The user interface is lovely. Lots of bright colors and a plethora of information. I really like how you can export data. The handiest of these is to export weekly reports and track your progress. I just did this yesterday, and I calculated my weekly deficit. It said I should've lost 0.6 lbs this past week (it was a bad week), and I looked at my weight log exactly one week ago, I lost 0.6 lbs. So very accurate! I should note though, I am really meticulous about my food logging.

I haven't had any problems syncing or getting it to read me. Within five seconds of going on, it makes the little noise saying it's on me. Also, no problems with battery life and cleaning is a snap. I just wipe it down with an alcohol pad after exercising and showering.

I hope this helps you out! If you have any questions, feel free to ask more! Idk if this is allowed, but here's my personal link to BM, you can use it to get 15% off! http://bodymedia.extole.com/a/clk/1m0zSB Good luck!

Thank you so much, I will use the link to get one on payday! :) Im excited to get one and try it out!