WE need a free day :(

Options
So my wife and I have really been watching what we eat and we are tracking out calories out. She has lost 15 lbs, and I have lost 10 lbs. We have made some small strides but tonight she mentioned she would really like to go to a Wing place and get some. Sadly, the restaurant we used to hit on a regular basis does not have a nutrition guide and we have both learned very quickly going into a place not knowing how many calories your taking on by having 1 bite is a serious no no.

Would going to a place that you know isn't healthy derail your diet or is it more of a set back? Do we keep doing the right thing for our bodies and furthermore for our lives?

Replies

• guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    When we go eat into a place without posted calorie counts, I just choose a good estimate from the list.

With Wings it should be super super easy. I'm kind of jealous because wings are good :D

If you want, you could pick a few and take the most average one.

edit: I didnt answer your question. For me, this is supposed to be a lifestyle. And yes that means not eating healthy around 20% of the time. Ive made this work since January (I started before I signed up here) by living my life and not being miserable by restricting 100% of the time. For me, it works. But I've worked hard to not have an all or nothing point of view on things.
  • gregg2lynn
    Options
    Personally, i think it is sometimes necessary to indulge your taste buds just a bit! i have found that if i try to avoid a craving or desire, i end up eating more of something else than i should! I think as long as you are dedicaated to the cause, a SMALL splurge every once in a while shouldn't be the cause for total derailment. If you find that it becomes that- give it up and stick to the plan!!:smile:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Find a similar recipe online for the wings you are eating, then plug the recipe into your MFP totals. I do this all the time. Even the restaurant nutrition guides are only an estimate. Most restaurant workers are more generous with portions than corporate would care for, so you are probably getting more calories than are listed in their nutrition guides.

Edited to add:

I take a free day every Sunday. I still work at guessing my calorie counts anyway. I play a game with myself and try to guess how many calories are on my plate. Lately, I've roped friends and family into this game, too. It's fun trying to eyeball what a portion of food on your plate may be.

I use recipe websites like http://www.copykat.com/ to get close approximations and better nutritional information.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Would going to a place that you know isn't healthy derail your diet or is it more of a set back?

It WILL derail it as far as the impact that the individual meal has on your diet. (All I'm saying here, is that if you stuff your face with calories, those calories will offset previous progress). But, read on because that's not necessarily evil.

One meal will make a negligible difference on your long term progress. One bad day will have a negligible difference on your long term progress. But if you use these as excuses, pretty soon one meal turns into one day turns into you just fell off the wagon.

My advice to you and your wife would be to ask yourself whether or not you are capable of enjoying a meal, or a free day, without letting it become so frequent that you look back and discover that you're no longer dieting.

EDIT: If the answer is "Yes, we can go have a free meal or day once in a while and then stick to our plan the rest of the time" then I would 100% encourage this for the simple fact that you're human and shouldn't view your diet as a pair of handcuffs.

Long term trends = vital.
    Acute things = not important.

Focus on the big picture.
  • genefabes
    Options
    ^exactly. couldn't have said it better.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I think the occassional evening out no holds barred is important, you however may be surprised how bad you feel the next day, lol. That seems to be the response, but by all means, hit Wings and make some reasonable choices, eat moderately and move on.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Once in a while it's okay to over estimate calories. If I find it too difficult, I just write in the notes a summary of what I did eat so I would still be "recording" it, but just not calorie wise.

Once in a while is okay though. Go have some wings and have a good night. Just remember to come back the next day.

P.S. congrats on your and your wife's weight loss. My boyfriend and I are doing this together too =D

Added: I also think that if you restrict yourself of what you're allowed to eat and not treat yourself, you'll overdo it in the future when you get the chance to have it. Keep in mind that everything's okay with moderation.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Would going to a place that you know isn't healthy derail your diet or is it more of a set back?

It WILL derail it as far as the impact that the individual meal has on your diet. (All I'm saying here, is that if you stuff your face with calories, those calories will offset previous progress). But, read on because that's not necessarily evil.

One meal will make a negligible difference on your long term progress. One bad day will have a negligible difference on your long term progress. But if you use these as excuses, pretty soon one meal turns into one day turns into you just fell off the wagon.

My advice to you and your wife would be to ask yourself whether or not you are capable of enjoying a meal, or a free day, without letting it become so frequent that you look back and discover that you're no longer dieting.

Long term trends = vital.
    Acute things = not important.

Focus on the big picture.

This is a good way to think about it. Nicely said!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    For me, it's not a setback or a derailment. Sometimes I plan in the odd indulgent meal to keep myself motivated. If I never got to eat "naughty" food, I'd be right off this healthy eating thing. Knowing that I get to splash out on high calorie food, say, at the end of the week, means I can keep myself on track for now, and look forward to what I know is coming.
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    if you can figure out a healthier alternative, do that.
    if you can have this be one nice 'date' meal, or cheat meal, or whatever, without making a habit of going to this place every week, then go for it. sometimes it will prevent a binge if you have the specific food you are actually craving. If you can limit portion sizes while you are out, you get a gold star.

for example i love salt and pepper squid, the deep fried kind. I used to order it often. Now I cook more of my own foods and haven't ordered it in 6 months or so, but i do plan on eventually having a cheat meal and ordering some. and i will enjoy them as much as possible, and not order them for another 6 months.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Your going to get people on both side of the fence on this one.. I am on the Splurge Meal aka Cheat meal (whatever you want to call it) I have since the beginning of my weight loss had 2 cheat meals a week. The only rules is they have to be out to eat, I can have whatever I want off the menu, but it most be consumed there (nothing comes home). I will offset these meals with extra cardio that day and drink plenty of water to flush the sodium but this method (knowing I have those meals to look forward too) allows me to stay on point the rest of the week. Hitting my Caloric intake, and hitting my Macro's, getting in my workouts, etc., etc.. I do not count the calories of these 2 meals, never have and have managed to lose a few pounds.. You need to find what works the best for you two though, I am not saying mine is the right way, it is for me though... Best of Luck.....
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree with SideSteel - one meal will not undo all your hard work, but repeated indulgences will. Change the "we can't" to "we can, with limits" ...this is how I've remained firm in my convictions to change my life around.

Good luck and best wishes to you both! :smile:
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I say if you have the taste for wings then get them. YOu and your wife go and enjoy each other and have the wings. I will say just dont over do it. Have a few wings and maybe a salad or something other than fries with them. Then maybe you guys can go for a walk afterwards or step the workout up tomorrow! The KEY to me is yes you do need to eat healthy but dont deny yourself cravings you have or else you will over eat later. The most important KEY is you GOT TO EXERCISE and keep your body moving. Enjoy the wings if you decide to go that route..
  • asgower
    Options
    Well, I agree it is easy to get derailed in especially so early your journey. With that said, the eating plan I am on allows me one free day to eat what I want up to a certain amount of calories. I recommend reading Choose to Lose, by Chris Powell. This book offers a way to look at dieting differently. I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    A lifestyle change must be maintainable. Find something CLOSE to what you think it is and log it accordingly... But go and enjoy. Just don't make a lifestyle of unhealthy eating; but occasional deviations is not just ok... it is recommended... the key word is OCCASIONAL.
  • adavis59
    adavis59 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I t take a "free" day once a week. If I have any cravings for something that week, that's the day to have some( not over indulge) and get it out of my system. Then I get back on track the next day. Usually I pick a day on the weekend, where I know that the family and/or my friends want to eat out and I'm not sure of the caloric content of food.
  • mkbledsoe
    Options
    order a smaller serving than you would have ordered before. Have a salad or slaw instead of fries. Skip the appetizers. Depriving yourself of foods that you really like makes it hard to stay on your diet. You are trying to find a way to live the rest of your life and feeling like you can't have a treat every once in a while is not realistic.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Having a little splurge meal once in awhile is okay. However, you might want to see if they do "naked" tenders there, or wings without all the breading. Buffalo Wild Wings has naked tenders and they are a LOT fewer calories. You might be able to enjoy that restaurant without totally nuking your calories.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    So my wife and I have really been watching what we eat and we are tracking out calories out. She has lost 15 lbs, and I have lost 10 lbs. We have made some small strides but tonight she mentioned she would really like to go to a Wing place and get some. Sadly, the restaurant we used to hit on a regular basis does not have a nutrition guide and we have both learned very quickly going into a place not knowing how many calories your taking on by having 1 bite is a serious no no.

Would going to a place that you know isn't healthy derail your diet or is it more of a set back? Do we keep doing the right thing for our bodies and furthermore for our lives?

Sometimes when I go out and I'm not logging on that day I'll eat half of my food at the place then get the rest to go to have later on during the day so I turn it into my food for the day instead of having it all at one meal. If its for dinner maybe put some aside to have for lunch or dinner the next day, etc and can add some yummy veggies on the side.
  • cherbapp
    Options
    In all honesty my weight loss was more consistent and faster during football season when every Sunday was a free day. The way I figured was every day was a free day and I stayed fat. With only one free day I was 85% better off. Lol

Looking forward to see what football season does for me this time around. :)

As a side note...I did track my free days to make sure I wasn't going rediculously over.