Zucchini

Options
jsukhan
jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
My grandpa has alot of zucchini in his garden and always wants to give me some but I have no idea what to do with it. I did see a recipe here for zucchini muffins that were only about 15 calories each. I bumped it but its no longer in my topics. If any of you have it, could you please bump it for me.
Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Replies

• ShrinkingShona
    ShrinkingShona Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I don't know about zucchini muffins but my family eats zucchini slice a couple of times a week. There's a great recipe on taste.com.au for it. I make the recipe with however many zucchinis I have and add an extra egg or to if it's too dry. Turns out like a crustless quiche.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If they're thin (which usually means more tender and sweeter), they're great sauteed or diced into spaghetti sauce. If they're thick, they might taste a little woody. A good way to eat them is to slice them lengthwise, hollow the seeds out (so you have something like a boat), fill with diced tomatoes, onion, and your favorite herbs/spices, and bake them. Put cheese over top for the last 10 minutes and it's like a veggie-based pizza.

If you don't like the taste of zucchini very much, you can also grate it and mix the shredded zucchini into meatloaf or burgers.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like to just bake them, I cut them up with red peppers, carrots, onion, mushrooms, potaotoes, eggplant, squash, celery (or any combination of these and other veggies) and toss in a tbsp oil, add seasoning and bake till soft.

I then eat them as is as a side dish, or serve over rice, you could also toss the veggies in pasta sauce and serve with spaghetti.
  • ktmmom189
    ktmmom189 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love zucchini. For a quick meal I cut in half microwave for 4 to 5 mins add some cheese and red pepper. Or I have added chicken and tomato sauce for zucchini boats. Also i add them to salads, spaghetti sauce. Anything. For a meal with cheese a whole zucchini is like 300 cals and if I can have a healthy dinner that fills me up in 5 mins. I'll take it.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to saute them in olive oil with mushrooms. Real Salt, Basil, and some other italian seasonings. I also like to saute just the zucchini with Real Salt and Season All in Olive Oil.

My father likes to saute them in butter and they are yummy, but high in calorie that way.
  • padmesarai
    Options
    I usually slice them saute them in olive oil with salt and black pepper and then to the grill; I do the same thing with eggplants, sooo yummy :)
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I love zucchini sauteed up with some garlic and onion in a little olive oil. Tossed together with a protein and chopped fresh herbs is really quick and tasty.

6074930439_826abf400a.jpg

I will also slice or julienne it into brothy tomato soups with other veggies.

6185189802_4249dbbcd8.jpg

If you use a vegetable peeler you can shave it into "noodles" and top with marinara sauce.

6236661846_b6e645f7a6.jpg

Sometimes I like to slice it, layer it with italian cheese, tomato sauce, and basil then bake like eggplant parmesan

6772904771_bc4decb949.jpg

It's really good as a filling for enchiladas, quesadillas, sandwiches, or anything else you want to stuff

7892019186_8171e87531_z.jpg

You can split them down the middle, scoop out the seeds, stuff them, and bake them

7889454214_aa7d6182b8_z.jpg

As already mentioned, there are lots of recipe to put zucchini into breads and muffins (chocolate chip muffin here)

muffin.jpg
  • jsukhan
    Options
    I love zucchini sauteed up with some garlic and onion in a little olive oil. Tossed together with a protein and chopped fresh herbs is really quick and tasty.

6074930439_826abf400a.jpg

6185189802_4249dbbcd8.jpg

If you use a vegetable peeler you can shave it into "noodles" and top with marinara sauce.

6236661846_b6e645f7a6.jpg

Sometimes I like to slice it, layer it with italian cheese, tomato sauce, and basil then bake like eggplant parmesan

6772904771_bc4decb949.jpg

It's really good as a filling for enchiladas, quesadillas, sandwiches, or anything else you want to stuff

7892019186_8171e87531_z.jpg

You can split them down the middle, scoop out the seeds, stuff them, and bake them

7889454214_aa7d6182b8_z.jpg

As already mentioned, there are lots of recipe to put zucchini into breads and muffins (chocolate chip muffin here)

muffin.jpg

Wow love the visual aids, making me hungry.
  • joyciebear
    joyciebear Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this dish is strictly mexican, but it's a family favorite (and we're mexican haha)

brown some protein of your choice. usually pork or beef works best.

add in some garlic and onions and brown them a bit

toss in some diced tomatoes

throw in some zucchini (i usually slice it into 4ths and then chop it into approx 1/2 inch pieces. if you cut it up too small it gets too squishy)

throw in a pepper of your choice-for flavor-i usually use a yellow pepper, you don't eat the pepper, just adds flavor, you don't have to cut it up either.

toward the end, rinse a can of corn and throw it into the pan with the rest of the ingredients.

top it with monterey jack cheese.

We call it Calabasas or Calabasitas. So delish!!

hereis a pic

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=calabacitas+recipes&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=2064&bih=1225&tbm=isch&tbnid=9UquveV5uzMEvM:&imgrefurl=http://forkfingerschopsticks.com/calabacitas-con-elote-mexican-zucchini-succotash-2/&imgurl=http://forkfingerschopsticks.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Calabacitas-con-Elote-H-1024x768.jpg&w=1024&h=768&ei=J5hCUJ2WLc_ryAGk7IGwBw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=594&vpy=223&dur=495&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=159&ty=136&sig=114842113376538190559&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=187&start=0&ndsp=72&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:0,i:149

i'm sure you can find a recipe with more details but we never measure stuff with recipes we make frequently. you can adjust all the ingredients to your liking.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Make a zucchini lasagna! A favorite of mine. http://nourishedmeadow.com/2010/07/zucchini-lasagna/

I've been eating these like crazy for the last couple of weeks http://curiouscountrycook.blogspot.com/2012/03/zucchini-tots.html
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    WOW nice pics, I have made zucchini bread and sauteed them and baked them but some of those pics are amazing, I am so making some of those dishes. Thank u for sharing
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options

your noodles and boats look TO DIE FOR!!!

I made zucchini chips the other night - they were really great!!!!
  • weezie31
    Options
    I just posted this on another topic: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/turkey-stuffed-zucchini-4-pts.html

It's awesome - really easy and flavorful and doesn't use any crazy ingredients.
  • princessrtk
    Options
    I grill zucchini! Either baste with olive oil or spray with olive oil flavored Pam, salt, pepper and then put on the grill until they are done. Yum!!
  • jsukhan
    Options
    Is Zucchini freezable?
  • jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes it is. It freezes very nicely.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    You can do zucchini and zucchini flowers pasta. Is really tasty.
    Cook the zucchini together with some flowers in some olive oil(not too much), salt them as you like.
    Boil the pasta but keep it one minute less than indicated. Toss the pasta over the zucchini and let it cook for another minute. add some parmesan cheese and that's it.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Zucchinie slice - this is the recipe we use

http://www.symplytoogood.com.au/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=84863

great to use up fresh veg and sometimes we go without the ham . It's a great recipe for the day after you have eaten too much. It always helped me lose.

Tme to make it again :)
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    they are called zucchini tots and you can find them on skinnytaste.com i made them and they are really good.