Carbs aren't the devil

So after about a month of increasing my carbs, I think I've actually GAINED definition in my abs and muscles. I still stay away from most pasta and white potatoes, but I've been eating way more carbs than I used to (still usually staying under my Macros though).

I don't think that cutting out carbs completely in one's diet is the answer. It could just lead to deprivation and binging.
Just my thoughts. Cheers everyone!

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I don't cut them out - I just try to choose better quality carbs than I used to.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Absolutely agree. Carbs are part of a naturally balanced diet, it's just that most people are used to eating way to much of them. Complex carbs like those in fruits are typically low on the glycemic index, meaning they won't spike a fast insulin reaction.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    I think everything has a purpose, and cutting it out isn't making a lifestyle change (unless you seriously just don't like it). The quote I have been living off lately is "Everything in Moderation"
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    I'm a pasta & bread *kitten*, lol I have switched to whole grains though. Seems to be helping with the cravings for sure:)
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    I don't do pasta or bread. My weakness is the baked tater with butter and sour cream. I do one a week or so. I am not as thin as you, to be able to notice a difference in my abs, but I do notice that when I eat too many carbs I feel awful. I try to get my carbs from fruit and veggies rather then processed food items. I eat mostly paleo.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Of course they aren't. Diet soda is.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    //word

carbs are indeed not the devil!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    So after about a month of increasing my carbs, I think I've actually GAINED definition in my abs and muscles. I still stay away from most pasta and white potatoes, but I've been eating way more carbs than I used to (still usually staying under my Macros though).

I don't think that cutting out carbs completely in one's diet is the answer. It could just lead to deprivation and binging.

Its cause your muscle got all swole brah!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Carbs are not the devil.

And I only eat 50g of them so I guess I should view them as somehow evil.

I just eat sources of carbohydrate that work for me and my daily energy isn't dependent on them, I prefer to burn fat.

I will say that since I started this the big upside is that I do not get hungry and I am now in control of my nutrition, not the other way around. And I exercise way less. And I'm still losing fat. On the same (if not more) calories as when I had a 'more balanced' diet.

Deprivation and binging? Nah, I had all that when I was a sugar/grain monster.

It's not for everyone but it works very well indeed for some, particularly those who are a bit older and can see their metabolism needs a bit of help after years of bad nutrition.

I don't hate or avoid carbohydrate, I just don't want my body depending on it.
  • So after about a month of increasing my carbs, I think I've actually GAINED definition in my abs and muscles. I still stay away from most pasta and white potatoes, but I've been eating way more carbs than I used to (still usually staying under my Macros though).

you were probably carb depleted which caused your muscles to look flat.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Carbs are not evil, but the love of carbs can be. Not getting my carbs from bread, pasta, rice or potatoes anymore.

Hi, my name is PKW58 and I am a carb addict in recovery.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member

Welcome to what the rest of us already knew! :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member

Uh, no sir.. Corn is..

brb, working on my thigh gap!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Uh, no sir.. Corn is..

brb, working on my thigh gap!

Well played sir.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    I love carbs in fruit. Carbs in store bought processed foods like cookies, cereal, crackers make me feel ill. I do better with less carbs and more protein. Problem is carbs are everywhere! Protein takes some effort!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    No, but it's better to be more choosy about the type of carbs one eats. I don't believe in removing any food group completely just making smarter, healthier choices in each and limiting certain ones.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    I don't cut them out - I just try to choose better quality carbs than I used to.
    Me, too :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Little girls are the devil.

I had pizza for dinner. Yesterday I had ravioli and garlic bread. Day before I had a baked potato and mac & cheese.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Oh Thank God they aren't the devil cause there is a loaf of Banana Nut Bread with Dark Chocolate Chips waiting for me to slice off 4 pieces for breakfast in the morning!! LOL :drinker:
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Deprivation and binging? Nah, I had all that when I was a sugar/grain monster.

True story. I eat carbs, about 100g in a day, but I have to be choosy about them. Non-corn grains are ok for me, sugar is ok for me (like fruits and yogurts), but any combination of sugar AND grain or sugar/grain AND fat will have me binging. Even though I love raisin bran and pizza, depriving myself of it prevents binging, not the other way around.

But I am happy for the OP finding what works for him! It does not surprise me that a young, active man does well eating lots of carbs. Enjoy!