Dont want to weigh myself... Other ways to track results?

Options
Hey all! So when it comes to the scale I can get a little OCD about it and the number (silly I know) dictates how I feel about myself. Are there other ways that I can track my progress? Thanks :)

Replies

• rainessooften
    Options
    tape measure, I haven't lost weight in a WHILE, but my measurements are constantly going down.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Take monthly measurements, progress photos, buy some skin-fold calipers to measure bodyfat---there ya go!! Best wishes :drinker:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Take monthly measurements, progress photos, buy some skin-fold calipers to measure bodyfat---there ya go!! Best wishes :drinker:

Yes too all this. The scale is the less reliable tool to measure weight loss
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    Hi BB i dont weigh myself at all. As i just want this to be forever not for a short time. I like u dont want to become OCD over the scales i know i will be on them every day if not more. i use my clothes as a measurement of weight lose. I want to measure myself but have not found my tape measure yet. You know those really tight things in your wardrobe ? i use them. When i first discovered MFP i was busting out of some of my gym clothes infact on certain days they were just too tight. Now they fit nicely and are not tight at all. I know if i weigh it will become a diet ... I am happy with a 1 pound a week lose nice slow and steady :)
  • bb_tiu
    Options
    Ya that's a great idea! Should I just adjust my fitpal weight lower every once and a while? So I make sure my calorie goal is on par?
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I hate weighing too. Measurements are really the best tool because they are what you are for real. I also keep an old pair of jeans that I haven't been able to fit in for a while to try on occasionally. They are sort of a touchstone for my size.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Ya that's a great idea! Should I just adjust my fitpal weight lower every once and a while? So I make sure my calorie goal is on par?

Change it when you get weighed at the doctors office perhaps?
  • bahmanygood
    bahmanygood Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used to be like you, and focus on the number on the scale. Then my husband took my scale away because he saw how obsessed I was with it, and I started focussing on my measurements.

Once you stop thinking about the number on the scale, it's liberating and will prove to you that the number doesn't mean anything. I've only lost 10lbs, but I have lost over 12 inches. How do you feel in your clothes? Your weight can stay the same but your body shape and muscle can change.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    for the purpose of the fitbit weigh yourself every month or two, but don't allow the number into your brain.
    if you don't have a scale, the gym, the mall or a friend will have one
    use the same scale each time if you can
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm relying on my tape measure more than the scale. I measure about 2x a month and that, to me, is better for my sanity. I can be a compulsive scale freak too.

And to bahmanygood - kudos on the 12",
  • ellyinflight
    Options
    I used to have a horrible obsession with the scale. I'd weigh myself several times a day, and be afraid to do tiny things like even wash my hands before stepping on the scale because I thought the water might add extra weight and tip the numbers up a bit. It made me so miserable and was very disordered, so I had to find a new way to track myself as well.

I don't use measurements because I know I'd obsess about the numbers in the same way, SO I use my camera! I take a picture of myself in the same pose every day, right before my shower. This makes me feel like I'm tracking myself still, but I can't compare today's to yesterday's because obviously there wont appear to be any difference. Then in three months time I'm going to go back and look at the old photos and see my progress!
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I take a picture of myself in the same pose every day, right before my shower. This makes me feel like I'm tracking myself still, but I can't compare today's to yesterday's because obviously there wont appear to be any difference. Then in three months time I'm going to go back and look at the old photos and see my progress!
    at the end you may be able to make an animation out of the pics, that would be soo cool