30 Day Shred - People 240lb +

Options
Hey! I know there is another thread currently out there for 30DS and I'm sure there are loads of others but I thought I'd go out on a limb and create my own.

Basically, I was just wondering if there is anybody out there who is close to my weight who's doing it or have done it in the past? On a whim I decided to do it this evening, mainly cos it's a new month and all that but my god I sucked. I don't think I even made 10 minutes, my heart was pounding and my legs were like jelly lol. I know you're not meant to give up but I didn't want to push myself too hard because until today I've been very much living the sedentary. If doing a small amount today means I can do more tomorrow, that's a good thing right?

So yeah, if you're 240+ I'd love to hear your experinces.

Replies

• michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I am currently around 254. I started at 272...I have started and never finished 30 day shred for different reasons...some beyond my control and some not. What I can tell you from my experience only is you will notice a difference when you do it. You will sweat like crazy and want to die the next morning. You might actually gain a few pounds at first...pretty normal...my knees CANNOT handle any kind of jumping activity, so I march in place, do modified jumping jacks (side step instead of jump out/in), and just keep moving during those moments of cardio. I also could not do a single push-up to save my life. I did wall push ups to start...then I was shown how to do a 'girl' push up...lay flat on the floor, push yourself up, bending only at the knees so that from your shoulders to your knees you are a straight line. it works. lots of different schedules for 30ds as well. One I like is this:
    Day 1: Shred
    Day 2: Cardio
    Day 3/4: Shred
    Day 5: Cardio
    Day 6:Shred
    Day 7: Rest/light cardio

Best of luck to you. Feel free to friend me! :smile:
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm around the 250/260's and I have always started ,but never made it past like day 3. I know exactly what you're feeling. I feel like if you just push through it, you'll eventually feel better.

I had attempted the C25K once and thought I failed the W1D1 because I could barely make it 1/4 way through. However, I posted about it and a lot people mainly told me to go to my own pace. Start W1D1 and follow the instructions as said. If I cannot do it, just keep walking and keep doing that until I can follow the program as written.

My advice is similar. Each day, try to push yourself farther. Maybe keep the video on and walk in place or something until you can jump back in. Keep doing that until you can complete the whole thing.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I started in June at 265 and am now 234. I am not 240 but I am damn close! I had my husband buy this and I hardly do it lol...Shhh don't tell him that! I have used it maybe 6 times. Much like one of the previous posters, I can not even do the jump in jacks so I jog in place or I will lean against my chair and do butt exercises lol...I also can not do a regular push up so I too use the wall. They have some dumb jump rope exercise on there too which I don't do but I will keep jogging to keep my heart rate up. One thing I can do is the ground work but at my own pace! Even the woman who is supposed to be the "beginner" is much faster than me. I don't care, I don't over do it. The first time I did this I was in pain for three days (because of the squats). It's not worth pushing yourself. I learned how to properly do a squat after of course. *kitten* OUT FIRST! THEN SQUAT! SLOWLY. Trust me. I prefer to do this little low impact aerobics cd I found on UTube actually. I can handle it better. Feel free to add me as well. I need more friends my size on my friend's list to talk to because they know exactly how I feel and I feel more comfortable talking about certain things.
    EDIT: I also hate how fast they get off the floor. It makes me a lot longer and by the time I am up, they are half way through their next exercise lol
  • SWilkins75
    Options
    I am currently around 254. I started at 272...I have started and never finished 30 day shred for different reasons...some beyond my control and some not. What I can tell you from my experience only is you will notice a difference when you do it. You will sweat like crazy and want to die the next morning. You might actually gain a few pounds at first...pretty normal...my knees CANNOT handle any kind of jumping activity, so I march in place, do modified jumping jacks (side step instead of jump out/in), and just keep moving during those moments of cardio. I also could not do a single push-up to save my life. I did wall push ups to start...then I was shown how to do a 'girl' push up...lay flat on the floor, push yourself up, bending only at the knees so that from your shoulders to your knees you are a straight line. it works. lots of different schedules for 30ds as well. One I like is this:
    Day 1: Shred
    Day 2: Cardio
    Day 3/4: Shred
    Day 5: Cardio
    Day 6:Shred
    Day 7: Rest/light cardio

Best of luck to you. Feel free to friend me! :smile:
    I really like your schedule. You mix it up well. That's what I need to start doing.
  • thedandylion
    Options
    I have no set plan myself, the only thing I want to achieve is lasting more than a few seconds lol
  • kg2run
    Options
    I'm 255 and started a couple of weeks ago. I'm alternating days between shredding and C25K and I've done 5 days of the shred. I've definitely noticed a difference in the amount I can do from day 1 to day 5. I can now do 10 girly push-ups and I could barely do 2 on day 1. I haven't lost much weigh, but I have lost inches.

Keep at it, but listen to your body! Good luck!
  • spark_inthedark
    Options
    I'm 223 and started today.I have tried twice before when I was about 260 and not completed it either time. I started it today, and it wasn't so bad. I'm going to try again tomorrow. :)
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm 256 (and a lot older than you.) I started 2 weeks ago at 261. The weight is flying off of me since I started. I do it 3 or 4 day's a week and I'm sure I'll be at level 1 for a few weeks. I also walk about 2 miles every evening at about 3.0. The first day I thought I was dying but it gets much easier pretty fast as long as you keep with it. If you couldn't make it the first 10 minutes, then you have to slow it down a little. You don't have to keep up with the girls in the video. Go at your own pace at first and work your way up. Listen to your body and your breathing. Doing it at your own pace is better than not doing it at all. I'm totally amazed at how fast my endurance has built up since I started. Best of luck to you!
  • Outdoorsman50
    Outdoorsman50 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    30DS was my first exercise when I started MFP and it was difficult BUT achievable!! I completed the whole month and I I am currently starting it again to complete my challenge. Come and join my challenge.."Commit to fit challenge" (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups)

Keep it up it only gets easier!!!!!
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    312 and completed day 2 today, looking forwards to day 3 tomorrow! The jumping jacks are a tad difficult for me but as she said in her dvd, she has 400lb ppl doing them so yep..we can too! Just listen to your body :) I am sure you can do it !
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I weigh 276 and today was Day 5 of level 1 for me. I have used the workouts from 30DS sporadically before though, this is just my first time trying to do it for 30 consecutive days. It was really rough the first few times I did it, and it's still a tough workout but it's getting easier and I'm definitely getting stronger. I still do some of the beginner modifications though.

For people who have issues with the high impact cardio, you could always replace things like jumping jacks with more shadow-boxing. Jillian says in the video that it's a good way for people with lower-body injuries to get their heart rate up.
  • xLexa
    Options

For people who have issues with the high impact cardio, you could always replace things like jumping jacks with more shadow-boxing. Jillian says in the video that it's a good way for people with lower-body injuries to get their heart rate up.

Liking this idea :)
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I am not in your weight category, BUT I will tell you I had the exact same problems. I'm about 151 right now and I tried to do it 3 days ago, I literally got 6 minutes in and quit. I was out of breath, panting, my arms were shaking so bad I couldn't hold myself up anymore.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't do it, you totally should, BUT it is not like C25K(from what I understand) where you can work gradually up to it. It is all or nothing. The moves are not hard, no lie, they're really not, but it's the constant speed theyre going that I can't keep up with. So...I joined a gym and am working on getting my muscles back into shape BEFORE I try 30DS again. Because I started it having only been changed lifestyle for 3 weeks, 5 pounds down and normally walking everyday and let me tell you, that was not the way to do it, my muscles were in for a rude awakening.

If you have the will power, by all means try it out for a week or two and if you can do it, then STAY WITH IT, but if you can't, don't. It's not the end of the world.
    I do alternate rotations at the gym, 5x a week like such:
    Day 1 Cardio ONLY
    Day 2 Strength
    Day 3 REST
    Day 4 Strength
    Day 5 REST
    Day 6 Cardio
    Day 7 Strength
    Then the next day would be REST because we don't have 8 days in a week it's hard to make it even lol

Listen to your body and do what you can handle. Do not over exert yourself and just take it slow. Remember you didn't gain the weight in a day, you wont lose it in one either.

Hope you aren't mad for a non-weight-level telling you some stuffs, but I do really wish you the best of luck!
  • msteresao
    msteresao Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am 246 and I just bought the video today, will try to start it tomorrow. I too am very worried about the sit ups and the push ups
  • SWilkins75
    Options
    I am not in your weight category, BUT I will tell you I had the exact same problems. I'm about 151 right now and I tried to do it 3 days ago, I literally got 6 minutes in and quit. I was out of breath, panting, my arms were shaking so bad I couldn't hold myself up anymore.

I'm not trying to say you shouldn't do it, you totally should, BUT it is not like C25K(from what I understand) where you can work gradually up to it. It is all or nothing. The moves are not hard, no lie, they're really not, but it's the constant speed theyre going that I can't keep up with. So...I joined a gym and am working on getting my muscles back into shape BEFORE I try 30DS again. Because I started it having only been changed lifestyle for 3 weeks, 5 pounds down and normally walking everyday and let me tell you, that was not the way to do it, my muscles were in for a rude awakening.

If you have the will power, by all means try it out for a week or two and if you can do it, then STAY WITH IT, but if you can't, don't. It's not the end of the world.
    I do alternate rotations at the gym, 5x a week like such:
    Day 1 Cardio ONLY
    Day 2 Strength
    Day 3 REST
    Day 4 Strength
    Day 5 REST
    Day 6 Cardio
    Day 7 Strength
    Then the next day would be REST because we don't have 8 days in a week it's hard to make it even lol

Listen to your body and do what you can handle. Do not over exert yourself and just take it slow. Remember you didn't gain the weight in a day, you wont lose it in one either.

Hope you aren't mad for a non-weight-level telling you some stuffs, but I do really wish you the best of luck!
    What if we don't have a gym membership?
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I didn't have one until this week actually.

I walked down my road(it's about a mile long) and back(so 2 miles total) doing intervals of 30 second jogging then 2-3 minutes of walking.
    That's for your cardio and as for weights, really you can use ANYTHING around to lift. Find a heavy book. Lift your vacuum(dunno about you, but mine is like 15 pounds!), lift your kids, borrow weights from a friend, use craigslist to find some. Anything can be used as a weight, I promise.

I'm not trying to sound like a know it all it's just things you pick up on.
    Again, I really do wish you the best on your healthy journey and feel free to add me if you need encouragement or anything. I'm always willing to help if I can.
  • xLexa
    Options
    For weights I have heard of using cans of soup or something like that. Also I saw on ivillage that a woman was using 2 full gallon jugs of water and using those, they were easy to grip because of the handles. Might be an idea!
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm 262 and am on Level 2. I do it every other day and do cardio alone on most days in between. I only lost 3 damn pounds the whole month of August, but I did lose 6 inches overall. I think I haven't been eating enough, so I'm changing that and will keep on with the 30DS.

Just watch out for Level 2. It's WAY harder than Level 1 - lots of planks!!!!!
  • SLE0803
    SLE0803 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I am 245 I just did L1D1, it wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. Don't get me wrong it def got me sweaty (and I know I will be sore tomorrow). I plan on doing it the whole month of sept taking 1 day off a week as well as other stuff I am going to try to fit in. (like extra walking, etc.)
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I just bought this tonight and tried it out. I think I only lasted about 10 minutes before I thought I was going to die LOL!! So I turned it off and jumped on my treadmill for another 15 minutes. Im going to keep at it each day until I finish the whole thing.
    I know we can do it, we just have to keep at it and don't let it get the best of us. :) Im sending you a friend request, I need more people who are in the same weight class as myself because I feel so alone in my weight loss struggle. We can help each other. :)