Measuring Weight-loss is more than pounds!

Options
I have been challenged with staying motivated, and I've read several others who have stopped losing pounds so I thought I'd look for some other alternative...

I found the following article very helpful. I've expanded my measurements in MFP to include these and I'm going to measure twice a month to track weight loss. Only if both my inches stop shrinking AND my lbs stop shedding will I think I'm stuck. That's the promise I'm making to myself at least!:bigsmile:

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diet-fitness/how-do-take-my-measurements.html
How do I take my measurements?

Question :
How do I take my measurements?

Answer :
Taking your measurements is an excellent way to keep track of your changing shape as you get fit. When you burn fat and increase your muscle mass, you may weigh a bit more even though your body is getting tighter and smaller. Here is how you take 10 different body measurements. Remember to keep your muscles relaxed while you're measuring.

1. Bust: Don't squish yourself -- measure all the way around your bust and back right at your nipple line, and make sure the tape measure is not lower.

2. Chest: Measure under your breasts but as high up as you can go, keeping the tape measure parallel to this line when you reach it around your back.

3. Waist: Measure wherever it is the smallest (if you have "no waist" go around yourself right at the navel line).

4. Hips: Measure at the very biggest part -- even if that is so low that you are almost on the top of your thighs.

5. Midway: Measure midway between the very biggest part of your hips and your waist.

6. Thighs: Measure wherever they are the biggest.

7. Knees: Measure right above the knee.

8. Calves: Measure wherever they are the biggest.

9. Upper arm: Measure wherever they are biggest above your elbows.

10. Forearms: Measure wherever they are biggest below your elbows.

Remeasure yourself every couple of months. It may seem discouraging to see your measurements when you start a diet plan, but once your begin to see results, the feeling of accomplishment is wonderful. Even if you have been on a program for a while, it's not too late -- it is great to watch your body continue to change.

Get your tape measure and get started now!

I hope this helps!

Replies

• angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I need to buy a tape measure today. The best guide I have is how my clothes fit. I know I am doing better because I no longer have to lay on my bed to force myself into my pants. Weight is just a number, even when you hit a plateau you have to remember to consider all of the healthy changes that are talking place within your body. Great post! :flowerforyou:
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    A co-worker walked in today wearing a pair of my hand-me-down pants - it's nice to have those visual reference points! I've been purging my closet off all my clothes as soon as I've out (un?) grown them. :smokin:

My weight is generally coming off the reverse of how it came on - so I've been losing inches out on the perimeter where it doesn't impact clothes size as much:grumble: . My calves have shrunk, as have my forearms, and I'm hoping to see losses in my upper arms!

I also love seeing my face beginning to return to it's old form. Somehow it's looking OLDER than I remember it :tongue: but I'll take it!
  • bvanam
    bvanam Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have seen a lot of people lose weight and end up looking older. My sister lost 80 lbs and her face was really saggy for the first few months, but it is slowly starting to regain some of its elasticity. Of course, those extra pounds we carry around do make us look younger, but we know the pounds are actually taking years off our life, instead of adding. I am a bit concerned about how my face is going to look after I reach my goal, but I'll accept it. I'd rather look a bit older and feel healthier and years younger! Congratulations on your progress thus far and thanks for the tips on the measuring!
  • ncislandgirl
    ncislandgirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think I am gonna try that method too. Thanks for the article. Good luck and stay strong!
  • mistilinn
    Options
    I try not to weigh myself, but I tend to measure a bit more often. Within the first two weeks of my diet I hadn't lost very much, but I had lost 2 inches in my waist and hips.