Atkins diet anyone?

Options
I know this is a calorie tracking website but im counting my carbs.. Im consuming less than 20 carbs a day.. anyone out there in the same boat? I could use the motivation and some friends :-) btw I've been on the carb diet for a week..

Replies

• Celticthunderfan
    Celticthunderfan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm doing the same. In the past, I've lost 30 sum pounds. I need to get focused again and lose the remaining hundred. That's why I joined MFP. :smile:
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    not 20 carbs but I do lower carb. Are you 20 NET carbs or just 20 carbs all together? I personally can't do that. Vegetables have carbs and fiber so that is obviously a staple in MY diet.

Feel free to add me!
  • BRADUMP1234
    Options
    I WAS ON THE ATKINS DIET MYSELF SEVERAL YEARS AGO. I DID LOSE WEIGHT BUT WHEN I GOT TO MY GOAL, I "RELAXED" (BETTER KNOWN AS RELAPSED) AND THE POUNDS CAME BACK ON FASTER THAN EVER. HOWEVER, GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR PROGRESS AND BE SURE TO PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR INTAKE AFTER YOU GET TO "GOAL".
  • Springfield_Rocks
    Options
    eeewwwww atkins!
    i love carbs!

losing weight doesn't have to suck!!

go to this group and join and read the pinned threads.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/7965-in-place-of-a-road-map

have fun!
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Friend request sent.
  • dusty_712001
    dusty_712001 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    eeewwwww atkins!
    i love carbs!

have fun!

I do not agree with the premise that following a low carb eating plan sucks. I love carbs also, but since living low carb, I have no "cravings for them" and am rarely hungry between meals. Every so often I decide to take in some extra carbs to enjoy things I used to eat regularly. I do this because I do not think there should be anything off limit, but I choose when and how many carbs I am going to take in. I will not be a slave.

Before angry responses start rolling in, I am not saying that anyone who eats a standard amount of carbs is a slave. I understand low carb is not for everyone and do not claim it is, but for me regular carb intake leads to excess. I am happy for and admire those who do not have this problem.
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I am doing low(er) carb. Staying between 70 and 100 a day total. It is working great for me!! Some days I do stay under 20 tho.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck. Do what works for you. I would like to offer that I was able to lose all my weight while eating 40-60% of my calories from carbs. Currently I eat 325 - 400 g of carbs daily, for the last 4 months, not up any weight because of it.
  • vanessairene
    vanessairene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I"m under 40 carbs a day.... but slowly moving over to primal/paleo and that will go up. I keep an open diary and log/support every day. Feel free to add me..
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting today :) I used to be on Tony Ferguson (VLCD) but it isn't working well with an existing health condition. I did Atkins years ago, trying to remember how it all works, but I had my blood test this morning.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    hi,
    i also did atkins a while back, i loved it, this way of eating healthy fresh vegetables, fruit,fish,meats worked for me when nothing else did, i saw results like never before and did not crave anything, once i get my "head in the game" did my research and slowly began to make that change my body followed, atkins is not for everyone this is not a quick fix, you still have to excercise daily and be mindful of what you put in your mouth and why your eating (are you hungry or are you just bored) i do recommend you do your homework before you get started because it is a lifestyle change, again you have to slowly adapt to it or you will get frustrated and give up, but the steady results are so worth it.

good luck on your journey.

friend me if you need to we can begin together my first day back it today :)
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me i love low carb and have been for 2.5 years
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    you should also check out the atkins support group and the livin la vida low carb group on this site
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    eeewwwww atkins!
    i love carbs!

have fun!

I think different things work for different people, and my binge eating, triggered by sugar and and flour-y foods, sucks more than anything else! I've found that low carb controls that, and I literally feel set free in that I'm not focused on food all day, every day and can think about things other than my next meal. I've lost 7 pounds in the last two weeks, eating meat, cheese, nuts, vegetables, and butter/sour cream/mayo. It's super un-sucky in my opinion, and I feel better the last two weeks than I have in the last ten years. :) I truly believe the same thing doesn't work for every body, otherwise there wouldn't be tons of diets out there.

OP--here's the link to a low carb group :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the way our ancestors ate. A high carb diet is a relatively new phenomenon that is killing the western world in our time. Diabetes, heart disease, other major inflammation based illnesses (which is most of them) are all from sugar and processed carbs.

You would do well to follow a low carb regimen for the rest of your life. And the carbs you do eat should be high quality natural sugars that occur in nature. This is how our bodies were designed to be sustained.
  • 90lbmom4ever
    90lbmom4ever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Low carb is the way our ancestors ate. A high carb diet is a relatively new phenomenon that is killing the western world in our time. Diabetes, heart disease, other major inflammation based illnesses (which is most of them) are all from sugar and processed carbs.

You would do well to follow a low carb regimen for the rest of your life. And the carbs you do eat should be high quality natural sugars that occur in nature. This is how our bodies were designed to be sustained.

Amen brother. if you arent eating processed food like grains you eat low carb anyway. Most of the high carb fruits aren't from the u.s. and we would never eat them. People are such pricks sometimes. I asked a question about ketosis the other day and a chick went off on my about it. I don't get why people think they need to preach about diets. They just must not have anything better in their lives.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

Amen brother. if you arent eating processed food like grains you eat low carb anyway. Most of the high carb fruits aren't from the u.s. and we would never eat them. People are such pricks sometimes. I asked a question about ketosis the other day and a chick went off on my about it. I don't get why people think they need to preach about diets. They just must not have anything better in their lives.

You pretty much can't post about low carb stuff on the regular boards without someone being bratty. That's why I like the groups, get to post amongst like-minded people.
  • youallonsy
    youallonsy Posts: 95 Member
    Options

On what do you base your claim, do you have any supporting data?

This on is why MFP states "Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy."
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    when I was a pharmacy tech this older lady came up to the window wanting to know where the psyllium fiber husk was (which is Metamucil), so I took her over there and she was all "3 grams of carbs!" (or something like that) and I was like "yeah?" She was all mad because she said "so I can either eat or poop?!" Personally I don't count carbs or protein, I just try to eat a lot of protein and mostly healthy carbs - but I LOVE cup-cakes.
  • fixintoloseit
    fixintoloseit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Low carb is my only friend! I absolutely MUST learn to live without them. I give 'em up, & immediately begin losing weight, but I always end up cheating & giving up. I have determination like crazy this time.