Exercise during Lunch??

Options
Hey Everyone,

I have joined a local gym that is near my home and job. I will be working out during my lunch hour. This way I won't feel like i am taking time away from hubby and kids. Its bad enough I work from 9 - 5p. I just don't want to feel like I am robbing them of mommy time. The gym is literally around the corner from my job so thats a plus.

Im just wondering, can you guys share some lunch ideas for after my workouts since I will be doing it during lunch? Thanks so much in advance for your help!!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a cafe? I'm lucky enough to have a cafe at mine where I can pre-order a salad with grilled chicken before my workout, and then pick it up on the way out the door.

If I didn't do that, I'd make something and bring it to work, and have it for when I got back to the office.

Good luck! And I totally understand about wanting to go during lunch!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I exercise during my lunch hour and I usually have a carb snack before hand and a heavy protein afterwards.

Today I had a whole wheat bagel thin with two wedges of laughing cow cheese and afterwards I am eating a whole can of tuna with light mayo, relish, saracha (asian sauce), and maybe like two saltine crackers.

Thats just today but I feel like I need a snack before I workout to get a better workout in!
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    Get yourself some protein powder. Look for the kind made for women and that is low in carbs. They say this is the best thing to have after a work out.
    If you feel like you need to chew something make yourself a turkey sandwich on Ezekiel bread. Lots of protein and fiber!
    I think it's great you can work out at lunch! As soon as it gets warmer here (Michigan) I am going to start walking on my lunch. Hope I don't get too stinky!!!:laugh:
    Good luck!
    Hugs:flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, only giving myself 10 minutes or so for lunch. I usually just bring left overs and eat at my desk. Sandwiches and salads are quick as well, just pre-make at home and make sure to get complex carbs and protein as your body will need these after a workout.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My gym is near my work too but I find with driving there, working out, showering and driving back I only get 30 - 35 minutes to actually work out. Is that going to be enough for you?

I use my lunch hour work outs as a supplement to my morning work outs. If I have been doing weight training in the morning I do cardio at lunch. As well, I love to go and swim lengths at lunch to burn off steam. Swimming is very relaxing for me.

You are not taking time away from your husband and kids if you work out in the morning or after work. Time for yourself is very important for everybody. I fell into this trap when my kids were younger. Actually I was kind of forced into it because my ex-husband would never do anything to look after the kids when they were small.

But, you didn't want that lecture, you were looking for lunch ideas. Can you make a sandwich that you can eat in the car driving back from the gym? I eat veggies, hummus and chicken at my desk after a work out and so far nobody has complained!
  • sincereme
    sincereme Posts: 276
    Options
    Does your gym have a cafe? I'm lucky enough to have a cafe at mine where I can pre-order a salad with grilled chicken before my workout, and then pick it up on the way out the door.

If I didn't do that, I'd make something and bring it to work, and have it for when I got back to the office.

Unfortunately, they don't have a cafe. I guess I will have to pre make it at home. The only thing that sucks is that my job doesn't have a fridge. ugggg
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, they don't have a cafe. I guess I will have to pre make it at home. The only thing that sucks is that my job doesn't have a fridge. ugggg

Get a cooler bag and an ice pack.
  • sincereme
    Options
    Well, the gym is actually across the street from my job so what I will do is change before I leave my job. I will take a quick shower at the gym, then just eat something at my desk. I sure I can get in about 45 minutes a day since it is so close. Plus the days that I can't during lunch I will go after.

The thing is my kids are in bed early. I leave them at 8a. When I get home I like to sit down and have dinner with them before bed. I am very big on sit down family dinners. I know they are growing up quickly and would like to give them as much time as possible with me. Maybe it's just me but I do feel like I am robbing them of that quality time. By the time I get home, cook and get them in bed I only have about 1.5 hrs to spend with hubby before bed. I like to make the best of that time by talking, watching a movie, etc. My family time is very important and I don't want to give up on it.

Thanks for the pointers though!!!:wink:
  • DebbieW
    DebbieW Posts: 187
    Options

Hi there,

Sorry, I can't help but jump in here.

I don't go to a gym on my lunch hours, I choose to get out the door and hoof it on a good power walk 30-40 minutes).

That said, you do not need a fridge in order to pre-make food at home to bring to work.

I have not used a fridge at work for years at work.

Buy yourself a proper lunch bag, one that is insulated, then buy yourself an ice pack or two. They should sell them in the same area as the lunch bags. I have brought lots of supper left overs to work with me over the years. This includes seafood and other meats. This also include sandwiches with mayo and of course my milk. As long as you have an ice pack in your lunch box you do not need the fridge, The ice pack will keep your food cold until you come back from doing your workout.

Trust me, it works!

Good luck!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I plan to start back to lunch hour workouts next month. I did them for 2 years previously.

I would eat lunch around 11:30am. I'd go to work out around 2p or 3p so I had digested enough that I wouldn't feel sick.

As said above, factoring in for dressing times and a jump through the shower, I could get in 30 - 35 minutes of working out, tops. However, I did this every day, Monday - Friday. I really liked it, because like you, I didn't want to take ANY time away from my family. This worked for me, and was a GREAT workday stress reliever!!

When I began, I only worked out 3x a week. Eventually, I had the urge to work out more and eventually was up to 5x a week. I'd skip lunch invites with friends because I just couldn't miss my daily gym! It was nuts how much I loved it.

I hope you find this routine works well for you. :smile:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Really good ideas from everyone here! :drinker: :flowerforyou:

I just want to add BRAVO Girl!!! :love: :heart:
    For making an AWEsome effort to juggle job & family & time for yourself!

When I was working, I did a 30-40 min. "power walk" every day, outside or inside the nearby mall, depending on the weather. Then did my gym workouts on the way home or Sat. am.

In addition to the lunch you bring to eat after a workout, I'd say always keep healthy snacks in your desk. Bananas, apples, oranges, nuts and food bars are great to have handy!

Keep on RoCking baby!!!! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K Protein Shakes and Meal Bars with a helping of fruit/veg. They are perfect for on the go people and can be kept in your car or desk.
  • sincereme
    Options
    You guys are awesome. I will take in all the great ideas and find my happy medium. Thanks for all the support and encouragement!!!! I look forward to sharing this journey with you all!!! :flowerforyou:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    During the summer, I swim at lunch. But that is in addition to other workouts. And just like when I need to run errands at lunch I just bring my normal lunch, eat about half before my lunch hour, and half afterwards.