What did you think of the movie, "Fat Head"?

Options
I saw it recently and it's been on my mind. I'm not sure to believe it or not.
What do you all think?

Replies

• IceDragon72
    Options
    *crickets*
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I liked it....I think. I've watched so many documentaries about food I can't remember which is which.
  • mdelcott
    mdelcott Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I watched it, decided to give the low carb a shot and dropped 20 pounds...
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    In before people talk **** about it. People love to bash stuff they don't believe in or is opposite of what they do.

I liked it. I take it for what it's worth and learn what I can from it.

Low-carb is the way to go for me

I'm having great success with little effort.
  • IceDragon72
    Options
    I liked it....I think. I've watched so many documentaries about food I can't remember which is which.

It's the one with Tom Naughton, who loses weight eating only fast food for a month and then touts a low-carb diet.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I loved it! He explains the politics of food very well and brings in some true experts!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Never saw it but just read a synopsis. The synopsis didn't mention any references other than a guy ate a 2,000 calorie fast food diet and increased his exercise and resulted in losing 12 lbs. That doesn't sound surprising to me, eating a calorie restricted diet and increasing exercise resulting in weight loss. Cholesterol has a number of factors to it but it also appears that his HDL went down which is a bad sign especially considering exercise usually ups HDL.

Anyway, studies aren't composed of 1 person for many reasons and changing multiple variables isn't a good idea if you are trying to 'prove' something. Again, I only read the synopsis so I'm guessing I'm missing a lot of info.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I bought 6.5 lbs of Lemonheads at my local supermarket. I hope Fat Head was as at least as awesome but I doubt it.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I bought 6.5 lbs of Lemonheads at my local supermarket. I hope Fat Head was as at least as awesome but I doubt it.
    966c6d5
  • IceDragon72
    Options

:laugh:
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I've queued it for tomorrow morning.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I liked the part were they figured out that Morgan Spurlock couldn't have eaten the amount of calories he claimed to have. Then they call him to confirm and see his notes and they refused! :bigsmile:
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I liked the part were they figured out that Morgan Spurlock couldn't have eaten the amount of calories he claimed to have. Then they call him to confirm and see his notes and they refused! :bigsmile:

Except Tom Naughton pushed the idea that calories didn't matter, that weight gain is controlled by carbs. There's no question Spurlock ate a ton of simple carbs. By Naughton's own premise, Spurlock absolutely could and should have gained the weight he did.

You can't claim calories in/out is a lie but then try to use the theory to discredit someone.
  • IceDragon72
    Options

Except Tom Naughton pushed the idea that calories didn't matter, that weight gain is controlled by carbs. There's no question Spurlock ate a ton of simple carbs. By Naughton's own premise, Spurlock absolutely could and should have gained the weight he did.

You can't claim calories in/out is a lie but then try to use the theory to discredit someone.

Hey! That's a good point!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i like it.
    so much better than fat, sick, nearly dead and supersize me.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    That movie was crap. It was disinformation. The guy participated in a short term calorie restriction diet and claimed that he achieved better health. Very short sighted.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I love it. Very educational and entertaining at the same time. I always show it to family and friends and suggest it to others.
  • ocarinaoftimid
    Options
    That movie was crap. It was disinformation. The guy participated in a short term calorie restriction diet and claimed that he achieved better health. Very short sighted.

This. It was so ridiculous I couldn't even finish watching it.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options

No, he was making the impression that calories in vs calories out is over simplified. He is correct.

Eat a daily diet of 2000 calories consisting 100% fat, or 100% protein, or 100% carbs and see how poorly it will go. The premise of his diet is that reduction in carbohydrate will help by playing a positive roll on hormones, and to use common sense along with a caloric deficit.

It's not necessary to vilify one particular food and I don't believe he was doing that. If anything, he vilifies ignorance and extremism by using Super Size me, and fat-phobic extremists. Besides, 100carbs per day in his diet is not exactly low carb, it's merely a restriction. Low carb is half that, and even less for the Keto diet.

The lesson I took away form Fat Head was to use common sense and to educate myself.