Gaining weight..no matter what I try!

Options
This is beyond frustrating and I'm seriously at the point where I'm going to throw my hands up and say "screw it all" Nothing seems to be working anymore at all. :sad:

I don't know if it's because I'm not eating enough or if I'm working out too much. My lowest weight I've gotten down to is 252. After joining "eat more to weigh less" I gained 10 lbs so I gave up on that. Then I went to that scooby website and figured out m TDEE and BMR. I tried achieving that number but all I was doing was gaining weight still! I was so discouraged that i took the whole summer off from exercising in hopes of tricking my body so when I started again, the weight would come off but I'm still freaking gaining and I don't know why!!!!!!!!!

So now I'm completely lost. I went back to use MFP's goal settings. I can't for the life of me eat more than 1,800 without feeling miserable and feeling like I want to puke. I've always been told (still to this day) that it's important to listen to your body. If you aren't hungry then DON'T EAT!

Anyway, my stats are: 5'6, 30 yrs old, and currently at 268. Exercise wise I walk outside for roughly 35 minutes and then come inside and do an 30-40 minute walking DVD by Leslie Sansone. I just recently started lifting weights on Monday. I've also recently had people tell me that I'm exercising entirely too much. (I do this same routine Monday-Friday) The weekends are always my rest period.

So in your opinion, am I exercising too much and not eating enough? MFP has me set at eating 1630 which I think is very good for me so I'm guessing I need to cut down on exercise some to stay as close to that number as possible? Does this sound good?

Replies

• Johlawrence
    Johlawrence Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel...I'm eager to hear what others say.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    What was your BMR?

How many calories were you eating per day in the EM2WL group when you gained?
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    get blood work done
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    what types of workouts were you doing, what types of foods were you eating?
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You eat a lot of sodium try keeping your sodium levels at or below 2,000 drink plenty of water and see a doctor for blood test to make sure there isn't a medical reason for not losing weight
  • sarbar71
    sarbar71 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So maybe this is a silly question, but have you seen a doctor lately? Had your blood tested? Had your thyroid checked? Seems like you have been doing everything right, and as long as the food you are eating is healthy, it seems odd that you would be gaining weight unless you have some sort of a metabolic condition. My friend had lots of problems with uncontrolled weight gain and found out that she had serious thyroid issues. Once they got it under control she was able to lose weight again.
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would go to my doctor and get some testing to make sure there aren't other factors at play before doing anything else. In my case, my hypothyroidism was discovered for this same reason you're explaining. I now manage it with meds and have started seeing progress on my weight, but there are other medical conditions that could apply too....
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    No advice here... but I can so relate! (Actually, I will second the answer to get blood work done. I've been limiting carbs after being diagnosed with hypoglycemia/high insulin.... hoping *that* will work to kickstart some weight loss, although it is too soon to know yet if it is working...)
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I don't think your working out to much, especially since a lot of that is just walking, Looking at your diary it seems that your constantly going way over on fat, maybe try and tweak your lunch some. It looks like you eat the same thing every day, and that cheese is killer, so maybe start with that first.
  • xo_Sarah_xo
    xo_Sarah_xo Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Bump to hear the educated responses.

Sorry, I am a newbie here but to my inexperienced ears it sounds like you are doing all thr right things.

The only question I have is perhaps (and I am just throwing this out there....so don't get upset) but could there be an error in your food logging?

I wish you all the best and I hope someone with a LOT more education in this field can give you a great answer. :smile:
  • RoosMommy01
    Options
    You eat a lot of sodium try keeping your sodium levels at or below 2,000 drink plenty of water and see a doctor for blood test to make sure there isn't a medical reason for not losing weight

See I had someone else tell me not to worry too much about the sodium level since all I ever drink is water. What is confusing me is that I lost 49lbs at first with no problems. Now it seems like I'm gaining it all back.
  • bastet23
    Options
    Definitely get some blood work done. Check in with your doctor. I had a similar problem after losing 75 lbs, then started gaining. I found out I had PCOS and insulin resistant. I am now a full diabetic, on a specific plan to balance carb intake, with nutritionist and am finally losing the 50 pounds I had regained.
  • PilotX
    PilotX Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    looks like you need to add in vegetables into your diet also
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    you aren't working out too much. that sounds like 60-90 mins a day 5 days a wk. most people should be aiming for that. i exercise more than that and I lose weight. My friend heather works out at least and hour or more, 5-6 days a week and she has lost 80 lbs since march. i don't know why u can't lose so i would see your doctor. something else could be wrong like thyroid or something
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    less carbs. more veg. more protein.
  • wolfehound22
    Options

See I had someone else tell me not to worry too much about the sodium level since all I ever drink is water. What is confusing me is that I lost 49lbs at first with no problems. Now it seems like I'm gaining it all back.
    Sodium can be a factor, its hard though as everyone body reacts differently to different things. Perhaps you do need to watch your sodium. Getting your blood work done does sound like something you should check into as well.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're sort of inconsistent about logging your food...do you know how many calories you're eating on the days you don't log? That could be part of the problem.

Plus, like the other person said, you're almost always over on fat, which could be another part of it.

Looks like you eat your exercise calories back too. Maybe try not doing that for a few weeks and see what happens when you create a bigger deficit.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Using TDEE and BMR calculators just gives you an estimate, your actual numbers may be higher or lower.

Your exercise sounds fine to me, as long as you aren't working the same muscle groups every day. I used to walk twice a day, an hour at a time, and had a lot of success with it. Walking is good exercise because you can do it every day and it doesn't put much stress on your body, while still burning a decent amount of calories.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diaries. I would first make sure that you log your food every single day. It is amazing how much that keeps me honest, focused, and on the straight and narrow! ;)

Secondly, try increasing your protein. The settings of MFP have protein very, very low. You can go into your diary settings and change the goals. I have found that I lose weight and feel the best when I have lots of lean protein and get my carbs only from fruits and veggies. I wish I could do whole grains, etc. but I just don't do well with them. Now I'm not promoting low carb, please understand, because there are tons of carbs in fruits and veggies. This has definitely worked for me.

Are you drinking a lot of water daily? I try for a minimum of 10 glasses. It is easy for me b/c I truly do love my water. Other friends of mine struggle so some have put MIO into their water, mint leaves, juice of a fresh squeezed lemon (but drink that with a straw or the acid can erode the enamel of your teeth). Also, try tracking your sodium. I did this for a while and was shocked by how much sodium I had been taking in. I increased my potassium and track that, too. Spinach, melons, and dried apricots are filled with potassium. On days I am over on sodium, I am sure to increase my water and potassium to help.

Good luck to you!!! :)
  • RoosMommy01
    Options
    I don't think your working out to much, especially since a lot of that is just walking, Looking at your diary it seems that your constantly going way over on fat, maybe try and tweak your lunch some. It looks like you eat the same thing every day, and that cheese is killer, so maybe start with that first.

I agree with you on the cheese. *L* I just had someone tell me since I had a hard time reaching m calorie goals to eat cheese and high calorie things like that. I hate yogurt with a passion so I was trying with that.