Netflix Suggestions?

Options
mgobluetx12
mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
Any Netflix suggestions? Looking primarily for shows I probably haven't heard of, not like Weeds or Breaking Bad, which I've seen. I love comedies or cop/legal dramas.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    If you like sci fi try torchwood
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Any Netflix suggestions? Looking primarily for shows I probably haven't heard of, not like Weeds or Breaking Bad, which I've seen. I love comedies or cop/legal dramas.

Thanks in advance!

Peep Show
    Luther
    Sherlock
    Louie
    Workaholics
    Futurama
    Mad Men
    Skins
    The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret (seriously recommend!)
    Portlandia
    Arrested Development
    Elfen Lied
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    If you like sci fi try torchwood

Ooh such a great show!
  • dub101
    dub101 Posts: 325
    Options
    ever notice that Torchwood if you use the same letters spells Doctor Who?
  • MandV4U
    Options
    A great "girls" show...Being Erica. It's all about life's journey...and it's SO GOOD!!!
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    I'm using instant Netflix and 'Being Erica' isn't on here. :-(
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    White Collar! Absolutely in love with that show. Just finished all 3 seasons on Netflix and don't know what to do with myself now.
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    It's got that guy from Magic Mike in it, right?
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Haha, yes. Matt Bomer. I saw Magic Mike and had no opinion of him whatsoever...could take him or leave him. Now that I've seen White Collar, I love him! Absolutely adorable!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    United States of Tara and Parenthood...
  • sarahlynn78
    sarahlynn78 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Life
    Breakout Kings
    Terriers
    The Defenders
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    I just finished watching Life and am SO disappointed there weren't more episodes. That show was great! At least we get to see him in Homeland.
  • mgobluetx12
    Options

Haha, yes. Matt Bomer. I saw Magic Mike and had no opinion of him whatsoever...could take him or leave him. Now that I've seen White Collar, I love him! Absolutely adorable!

I like the other guy too. I still think of him as 'Bizarro Jerry.'
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Bones is a great series if you like who done its and cop like shows. If you want some different movies and have an open mind I can suggest some Bollywood films :happy:
  • mgobluetx12
    Options
    I've read books by the woman (Kathy Reichs) who Bones is based on, but never seen the show.

As for Bollywood, sure, why not? :-)
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    They are a little different from western films, mostly a cultural thing but that is part of the fun for me. I love the colorful dance and song numbers, they kind of remind me of classic Hollywood which I love incidentally. I think a couple of good places to start would be
    Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi- (Match Made by God)- AMAZING love story- I'm a sap for one. Quick run down- it's her wedding day, he's a student of her father's tragedy strikes- her fiance is killed which causes her father to have a heart attack (it ALWAYS gets worse and then even worse before it gets better in BW) her dad asks her to marry Surri- his student who is there for the wedding. She does, her dad dies (I told you it gets worse before better) and she goes off a mourning, new bride- they love to set up a story in a dramatic way :wink: The smile he fell in love with is gone and she is a ghost in the house. She asks for dance classes- he disguises himself to watch her and see her smile (I told you I love sappy stories) and accidentally bumps into her- she doesn't recognize him. What follows is a man living a double life trying to win over his bride. It's funny, touching, goofy (intentionally so at times) and makes you sigh at the end with a warm gooey feeling. It stars SRK (Shahrukh Khan) one of Bollywood's biggest stars and to tell you how well they did with the dual role- my husband didn't recognize him at the start of the movie. His acting style is unique but we love him.

Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na- (Maybe You Do, Maybe You Don't)- two friends on the cusp of graduating college- everyone thinks they are dating- including their parents who think they will now marry- they are appalled at the idea and set out to set each other up. Only you guessed it- hmmm, maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Funny little sub plot with his family history and some of the BW goofiness that amuses us so much on his right of passage into adulthood- This movie watches a little more western like without so many song and dance numbers which I miss but still a GREAT movie.

Jab We Met- this one stars my favorite BW cutie (my husband knows I saw so) Shahid Kapoor- He's watched the woman he loves marry another (that BW drama again- I love it) and gets on a train to escape the drama in his life. Enteer Geet- a chatterbox who just won't shut up and who won't leave him alone. When they miss the train in a small town along the way he feels responsible for seeing her safely back on it. What follows is a series of misadventures that will change both their lives. Just when he falls for her, he also (after a great many adventures and a misunderstanding with her family) delivers her to her fiance. Only he gets a call sometime later that her family hasn't heard from her and she is missing. He sets out to find her and does so, a crushed, disillusioned woman who is nothing like the bright funny, girl he left. I'll leave it there for them to finish. A fun, movie with plenty of BW drama and goofiness to keep you entertained.

If you watch and like any of those let me know and I can recommend more. I usually recommend these for BW first timers because they are easy to follow and fun. They average two and a half to three hours in length and sometimes can start slow. When you make a movie that long you can take a lot of time with back story. There are usually at least a few song and dance numbers- some better than others- which we enjoy. It is a fun look into another culture and way of life and I like their approach, over all, to story telling. Anyway, I hope you do try one and enjoy it. The subtitles aren't too bad after you get used to them :smile: