New & in need of motivation

Options
Im Steph, I have been struggling with my weight since i was 19, i am 23 years old now with a 1 year old daughter, i am a single mother. Every night i tell myself tomorrow i am going to exercise and change my eating habits, i lay in bed for hours before falling asleep thinking about all the things i want to change. unfortunately a new day arrives and i find myself with no motivation and no hope... i tried for a few weeks exercising and eating differently, but of course i saw no results so i lost my drive. its been 3 months since then and today it all came to light that im done feeling sorry for myself, im done making excuses because only i can do this for me nobody else, im done making promises to myself that i cant keep. I want this more then i want anything in the entire world, and ive known this for a very long time... i know i will need a lot of motivation and help, i would like to make friends who, like me; is ready to stop dreaming and ready to do it for real.

Replies

• jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Steph you have taken a very important first step and we can help you out here. Many of us have been through this over and over and know what you're going through. Feel free to add me if you want someone that will help in any way I can.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome Steph! This is the right place for friends and motivation! You have taken the first step. Start tracking your food and this site will get you on your way :bigsmile:

You can friend me if you'd like :smile:
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    when you try to take on a huge challenge all at once it can be overwhelming. Sometimes the "well, I messed up a little, so, since the day is no longer perfect I'll just mess up a whole lot and start over tomorrow" leads one to the point where you feel like you're always starting over, but never really getting started. That leads to a feeling of "I can't do it, I'm not strong enough, etc". Don't try to do it all at once, and be kind to yourself. It takes every decision added up to make the big picture, so work on something reasonable to get started. Choose an exercise you can do daily, decide to eat more of something healthy (instead of focusing too much on what you "can't" have), drink more water, etc. If you're having trouble moving the mountain start with a few stones
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    It took along time from the point of desperately wanting it to the place where I was ready to do something about it. You are on the right track, keep moving forward.
    I have confidence you will amaze yourself! Cheers to your future success!
  • JLDavis5
    Options
    hey girlie! trust me i know how it is. i have be overweight all my life. after i had my first son i lost 75 pounds and was just beginning to get healthy, then i got married, had 2 more kids and well here i am. i am a firm believer that you have to start eating healthier foods and make that habit before you being working out. one thing at a time. its hard enough giving up everything you love to eat. AND then trying to work out on top of that. its just ridiculous! so start slow.... trust me.. after a month... if starts to feel to go to stop..
    i think of it like this. i want to be able to take my kids to the water park and not be that mom thats covered from head to toe. i wanna be able to flaunt it.. im just saying.. its a live long change.. and it feels good. i just had my 3rd child about 2 month ago and i am starting the change myself. do it for you and your child. cause you dont ever wanna be that one that can fit on the roller coster with them. good luck.
  • queencherrii
    Options
    Thank you everyone i really appreciate it, i am happy i found a place where i can get the motivation i have been lacking! its great to know that there are people like me that know how i feel and want to make the change. I plan on taking it one day at a time, Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. - Barack Obama I recently read this quote and it will stick with me because it is the truth.
  • MandyJokl
    MandyJokl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Steph. Just try and make small changes to your diet and start by taking a short walk every day. I was 23 stones and I thought I was past redemption. I was ten stone before having four kids and then I suffered with depression for four years. As the years went by I just got bigger and bigger. Two years ago at the age of 43, I managed to lose four stone but then I slid back to old ways and put nearly two stone back on. In may this year I discovered my fitness pal and I love it. I went for walks and I could give myself a treat with the extra calories! I have lost twenty pounds since then and I am four pounds off getting back to my four stone weight loss. Four weeks ago I plucked up the courage to join a gym. I started swimming at the gym three to four times a week. Gives you lots of extra calories too!
    I have even plucked up the courage to start using the treadmill and exercise bikes. The first few times I felt really self conscious. At over 19 stone walking slowly on a treadmill with some slim goddess running 8 miles an hour at the side of me! But as I looked round there were lots of different sizes and ages dotted around and I started to feel good that I was at least trying to do something.

It has done wonders for my mental health as well as my self esteem. I'm even managing to cope with my youngest child leaving for uni this week. Instead of moping with empty nest syndrome I've been down to the gym and exercised.

I still want to lose another 8 stone and it is going to be a very long term goal and if anyone wants to add me as a friend I will be grateful for the support and can give support in return.
  • YUMMY45
    Options
    I'm new too. Add me and let's do it together!:flowerforyou:
  • katibug11
    Options
    Steph you have taken a very important first step and we can help you out here. Many of us have been through this over and over and know what you're going through. Feel free to add me if you want someone that will help in any way I can.

I'm not sure I could say it much better. I have been overweight for the majority of my life and I've realized at this point, that the challenge of loosing weight can't be anymore difficult than it has been walking around with this weight all these years. I am done struggling with myself and with my weight and tired of the sleepless nights too! And am glad to help in any way I can and would love the mutual support. Please add me if you would like :)
  • openairhealth
    Options
    good luck! <3 i'm 19 and making a change for the better as well.
  • sonotphat
    Options
    I've been in the exact same position as you were in but i've finally set myself a target and i'm buckling down and somehow it seems really easy! I'd lve to give you help and motivation so add me! It's so much easier going through this with other people!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You'll be okay now. I have struggled with mislaying weight for years and now age is against me (at 63) . I heard about 'Myfitnesspal.com', registered and found that recording EVERYTHING stiffened my resolve like never before. I lost 9 kilos in the first fortnight but have stuck at 110kilos since. (This may be because my scales went to 'electronic heaven' a couple of weeks ago and I bought a cheap spring-type scales from Argos).

Welcome.
  • THINk_kkaybbyx0
    Options
    Feel free to add me <3 im always here to off encouragement and support