What do "big girls" wear to prevent exercise rash?

Options
Woohoo! I'm exercising! (starting C25K)... Now what the heck do I wear to prevent my huge jiggly thighs from rubbing enough to near about bleed? I've now tried pretty much every pair of shorts I own. Loose ones ride up into my crotch and my thighs rub badly. Tight ones are just that - tight, and uncomfortable in the heat (it was near 100 during my walk/jog today). Capris do better than shorts, but hot too. I've tried baby powder, gold bond powder, and diaper ointment. I have't found any decent spandex-ish shorts in a plus size 24-26 (3X). I'd love some store suggestions or good websites or any other secret remedy for "The Thigh Problem".

Replies

• DeniseBarone
    DeniseBarone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a good poof of talcum powder. It will help to keep you dry.
  • jennyann117
    jennyann117 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I read something recently about using vaseline. I'd rather wear capri workout pants and sweat my *kitten* off before I'd wear shorts :)
  • 80Ben
    80Ben Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There's a product called Body Glide that's made for that purpose. You can find it in running shops and sports stores, and there's one made for women.

Regular deodorant also works but doesn't last as long, and vaseline works but it leaves grease stains on clothes.

PS: Congrats on your dedication to running, you won't regret it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i always wear compression capris or tights. it's no warmer than anything else, but you have to make sure you're working out in the right materials and not cotton since cotton doesnt breathe

oh yeah i's not just a big girl problem. even when i was a size 4 i couldnt run in shorts. my thighs are larger than my pelvic girdle so there was always thigh rubbing :laugh:
  • OnMyWeigh464
    OnMyWeigh464 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I wear yoga type capris. They don't ride up and they're very comfy. Got them at Walmart. But now they're starting to fall down so I need a smaller size lol
  • amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I still can't wear shorts to run in -- target has some affordable yoga type capris and eunning pants/ capris. They work great!
  • Skeen903
    Skeen903 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've found when I do exercises that involve jumping around like P90 or Jillian Michael's I don't need these... but for running/jogging... even walking I have the same thigh problem. I found a pair of black spandex capri (skintight) workout bottoms from Walmart and then I wear a pair of girl version exercise shorts over them. I feel a little goofy but at least no one can see how tight the capri's are and I don't have to worry about my thighs rubbing!
  • alie001
    alie001 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the other posts but what I did want to say is the ones that will think you look funny are the goofballs that doesn't excercise and don't matter. Anyone that has excercised has had these problems and feel your discomfort. I have a great friend who is a elite marathoner and wears the silliest running outfits ever. So you wear what you need to wear to keep up your running. I am so proud of you!
  • fortheheart
    fortheheart Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wear Capri leggings that stop at the knee. Bought them off Torrid.com. Sizes 12 to 5x.
  • msdivine26
    Options
    BodyGlide is fantastic, but Vasaline is just as amazing.
  • HealthyShazza
    Options
    I recently discovered BodyGlide & another product called Monistat Anti-Chafe Powder Gel. Both work insanely well. I found them after suffering horrible chub rub chaffing between my thighs when we vacationed in Cuba (from walking in a bathingsuit). I did some research before we went on another vacation and found both these products. I tried them both and WOW what a difference. Not one spot of chaffing or chub rub. BodyGlide is waterproof and is fantastic if you sweat. The other goes on as a gel, but rubs in to a powder finish and feels wonderful on your skin. Thanks to these products, I no longer suffer from the dreaded chub rub!!

No, although I sound like an infomercial, I don't work for either company. I am just a girl who's thighs rub and am happy to find something that works!!
  • selfmedicated2
    selfmedicated2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I found some great shorts on Athleta.com (it's the same corporate parent company as GAP, Old Navy, etc.). It's the Kickbooty short. They hit just above my knee, so nice and long for practical purposes but not as warm as capris. They're expensive, but after the first pair came, I went back and ordered 2 more pairs.
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I usually run in capris or compression shorts to the knee. Body glide gave me a rash but the Asics version called chafe free I like. The are also a few other over the counter brands now in mainstream store vs running stores. I think neutrogena or neosporin makes one?
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I swear by body glide.

JC Penney had some CUTE CUTE CUTE running shorts in their plus sized section. Old Navy online has some decent plus sized stuff. Whatever you do, do not wear cotton.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have a few pairs of yoga shorts that I found at Ross a while back. They're sort of like compression shorts, except they are a lot more comfortable. I think they're some sort of cotton blend, so they breathe nicely, and they're also high-waisted for tummy control.

I tried the BodyGlide, and didn't care for it. It seems that if it's hot out, it just reacts with the sweat and makes things worse for me. But it's cheap enough, so it might be worth a try!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts worked really well for me until my thighs got smaller and leaner. I still wear them under skirts to keep the skin from sticking and getting a rash.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    Lanacane works miracles (it's like baby powder is supposed to help it if it happens but lanacane, if applied about every half hour for running, keeps it from happening pretty well, or at least makes it less severe). And that after-sun gel stuff with lisocaine. If the skin is really really bad it burns like crazy but if it's only a little bit (like what I get when using lanacane) it burns for a minute or two but then it's much much better. And also, running in capris in the gym on a treadmill until winter.
  • Aventuria
    Options
    I wear yoga type capris. They don't ride up and they're very comfy. Got them at Walmart. But now they're starting to fall down so I need a smaller size lol

Same for me, not too loose not too snug over-knee yoga capris. I never have ANY problems, and I weigh 210lb. :wink:
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    some fungal cream wouldnt hurt in those areas, either to prevent blackheads, pimples, etc.