Olive Oil-is it worth it?

Options
I've always had this notion that olive oil was always OK to eat and cook with. I know it's a healthy fat and that there are nutritional benefits but I checked the back of the bottle tonight (yes, it was a little too late) and it was 120 calories per 1 tbsp! I couldn't believe I had been blindly using this stuff and not even accounting for it in my food diary. Should I keep using it (I'm on a strict 1200 calorie diet till December) or is veg. oil spray ok to use?

Simple question! Thanks everyone.

Replies

• LupaNera
    Options
    In my experience is a big yes. Since I switched only to olive oil extra virgin (and when possible not filtered) and in general a healthy diet my blood tests are perfect. Previously I had high cholesterol etc.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's fine, within your fat and calorie allowance. High in calories does not always mean unhealthy.

But since you are on such low calorie allowance such a calorie dense food might not be a good choice.

Based on your ticker you have lost 19lb while not even tracking it, So what does that tell you?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Yes.

There's not much difference in calorific contents of oils. You could try using a pastry brush to apply.

One thing to note - olive oil has a low burn temperature, which means it is not suitable for frying. Use rapeseed oil (also one of the 'healthier' oils instead for cooking with high heats such as stir-fries. Olive oil also imparts a flavour which is good for some dishes but others are better with a plainer oil.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love it. I use it on popcorn instead of butter.

Awesome stuff.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    I use it for cooking also but you need to take care to do it over a low flame. It takes longer but since I relax cooking is ok for me.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It's better used raw rather than cooked but you do need to calorie count it.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i think as long as your not one of those who likes to dip bread in olive oil i strongly believe the benefits far out way its high calories ... (my old housemates used to i dont understand the appeal at all). Maybe consider how much you use.... do you use a table spoon where you could get away with a teaspoon... i only use olive oil, i find the others taste horrid (actually cant say i really like olive oil) but i do use the smallest amount i put about a teaspoon full in the pan then use kitchen towel to spread it thus removing any unnecessary oil.
    x
  • headzy
    headzy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think it is the better option. I use it for frying steak, chicken and fish. Don't need alot when using a good quality non stick pan.
  • chrlslove7
    chrlslove7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then. Yeah I use my non-stick pans and love the way it tastes with chicken. I have chicken almost every day for dinner so I guess I was just thinking that IF I cut it out of my diet, it would save me at least 600 calories a week. That seems significant to me so that's why I ask. Thanks for your input all!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is worth it, I use rapeseed oil as well but its slightly higher cal

The olive oil im using is 90cal per 10ml serving
    The locally produced rapeseed oil is 100cal per 10ml serving

Also on another note oliveoil is great for the skin, I use it as a massage oil sometimes
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We use extra virgin olive oil (some infused with lemon, thyme or garlic) almost exclusively. OP mentioned veggy oil spray - we have extra virgin olive oil in a sprayer, and use it regularly.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is well worth it. And if you are losing while using it blindly maybe just control it more to 1tbsp per day and allow for those extra calories..up your daily target to 1300.

I use olive oil for salads, but use hemp oil for cooking (has a higher heating point).

Good luck in getting to your goals x
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Get some Coconut oil instead. Much better for you all round. Smells fantastic & actually HELPS you lose weight
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    Its so worth it! I love my olive oil .. I even use it on my skin (trust me it can be used for SO much more then just cooking with) ;p
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Extrain virgin olive oil or oilseed rape. Both very high in omega 3 - an essential EFA that you need to eat in your diet, your body cannot make it.
  • Irish_eyes75
    Options
    Yes! I make sure I measure it though or else I'll just coat the entire pan. YUM
  • WVMedicineMom
    WVMedicineMom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I use olive oil on my baked potatoes now instead of butter or margarine.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I am not a heavy user of olive oil. Mostly because I am cheap and I cook a ton. I would probably forgo the calories.
  • kclarkss
    kclarkss Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Get some Coconut oil instead. Much better for you all round. Smells fantastic & actually HELPS you lose weight

I would love to use this coconut oil, doctor recommended it. But..... It is so expensive, I haven't bought any.