Vinyasa

Options
OK, I have some serious questions regarding this sites calculation of calories burnt during yoga! They only give you an option for Hatha. But if I'm doing Vinyasa for an hour, I have a feeling I'm burning more than 125 calories.

Anyone want to weigh in on this? About how many calories do you figure a female weighing about 122-123 pounds would burn in an hour of vinyasa?

Replies

• bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Don't know the answer but I'd love to find out. Did 40 min Vinyasa this morning, site said I only burned like 70 calories. There's no way!
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok, just found this calculator, seems more accurate:

http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm

Though I'm sure a heart rate monitor is the only way to really tell.

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I can burn about 200 calories (give or take) in an hour of vinyasa yoga.

But unless you have a heart rate monitor, it's better to underestimate than over.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    According to livestrong.com, Vinyasa yoga burns approx. 300-600 cal./hr.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/297884-calories-burned-during-vinyasa-flow-yoga/
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    I'm pretty sure doing Vinyasa burns more calories than Hatha. I'm no yoga expert but I have done both. Do you have a HRM?
  • rml_16
    Options
    According to livestrong.com, Vinyasa yoga burns approx. 300-600 cal./hr.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/297884-calories-burned-during-vinyasa-flow-yoga/

I've heard that, but I think it's a VERY liberal estimate. Depending on weight and fitness, I can see 300 an hour, but 600 is seriously pushing it.
  • KatyFace9801
    KatyFace9801 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    ooh! I like this calculator I found

But I mean, maybe it's just the yoga studio I go to, but I feel like even in an hour of Hatha I burn more than this site says.
    Oh, well. I guess I'll never know exactly (because doing yoga whie wearing some contratption would be mad uncomfortable)
  • rml_16
    Options
    ooh! I like this calculator I found

But I mean, maybe it's just the yoga studio I go to, but I feel like even in an hour of Hatha I burn more than this site says.
    Oh, well. I guess I'll never know exactly (because doing yoga whie wearing some contratption would be mad uncomfortable)

You don't even feel it, honestly. I feel it when I first put it on, but then forget it's there after about a minute.
  • faith519
    Options
    I wore my HRM for my 90-min vinyasa flow practice because the online calculators estimated really high calorie burn (6-800), which I didn't believe. I am 172 lbs and 5'6 and burned 255 calories during that time. We had a 30 min relaxation during the class divided between the beginning and the end of the class.
    Even then, I was quite disappointed as I did sweat through my sports clothes :(
  • violetta88
    violetta88 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The problem with yoga is that different instructors set their sessions up differently - I do some classes where I feel like I've run a marathon by the end, and others where I feel like I've done little more than some intense stretching. Tbh though for me yoga isn't about the calorie burn, it's about the other benefits. So I'm happy just taking 150 cals per hour for it :)

Sadly ^ is right, a HRM is the only accurate way!
  • shyyoga
    shyyoga Posts: 1
    Options
    i think it greatly depends on the level you are at. 120 cal burned per hour may be more like a beginner. and it depends on one's definition of hatha. traditionally, i have been told that hatha encompasses more than one type but in n. america, i think we generally use hatha as an 'easier' form of yoga (compared to ashtanga vinyasa, for example).

from the various articles and and calculators (that take into the type of yoga), it appears that i burn about 400 cals in 1 hr whenever doing a type of ashtanga vinyasa flow. i am female: 5' 7" @ about 140 lbs. i have a lot of muscle mass because i also do p90x (and cardio) along with my yoga. going by my experience, that appears about right. i've monitored calories in and out per week and am at the stage where i've been maintaining my weight (i don't bother counting calories anymore though - after awhile, you just learn to trust your body and go with how it feels and how it fits into your clothes). i've now maintained my body weight pretty consistently (except when i go on vacation where i always gain 5-7 lbs :p) for almost two years now.

i've been practicing yoga for 3 years (consistently about 3-4 practices a week) and while i'm not advanced (for example,i can not do the scorpion or any head/hand stands), i usually do a pretty intense level where i'm dripping with sweat at the end.

trying to determine calories burned for a yoga sessions is probably one of the harder workouts to decipher in regards to calories burned. it's taken me awhile to find an answer i'm okay with.
  • alisonpgold
    Options
    I definitely agree that an intense yoga class for 60 minutes burns more than 200 calories. I personally think it's better exercise than running for 60 minutes! I liked this website's estimate at around 429 calories burned for me: http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A HRM will NOT accurately calculate the calories burned during yoga. A HRM is only designed for steady state cardio calorie counts from any other form of exercise will not be correct
  • DAaaMan64
    DAaaMan64 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother.

Every session of yoga is different, every class is vastly different and skill levels are vastly different between people.