Looking for no impact exercise for beginner?

Options
I was looking for a seated strength training program for a beginning exerciser with mobility issues. I found this and thought it may be helpful for someone here.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blobeseexercise.htm

If that one is too much to start with, the prior page had functional exercises for people who have a very hard time with basic movement such as getting in and out of a car or stepping up to a curb.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/obese_strength.htm

Hope this helps someone. Good luck!

Replies

• fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike is a common go-to for non-impact cardio. Swimming is another great option.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you can stand, a Gazelle Elliptical is a great no impact way to exercise.
  • sondrawolfe
    sondrawolfe Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks, ladies. These exercises are for those with severe limitations due to obesity or other issues. Some people are not able to use bikes or ellipticals due to being too heavy for the machine or not having enough muscle strength to balance.

I should have been more explicit in my original description. The pages I posted are for those with severe limitations who need to work up to being able to exercise. Everyone has to start somewhere and work from where they are.
  • CMarshek
    CMarshek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ergometric cycle is great (pedal with arms instead of legs) and also gives you upper body development
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later...my knee sometimes does not like any impact!
  • solamentemama
    Options
    walking and stability ball strength training!
  • jimmeezwyf
    jimmeezwyf Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Swimming is the absolute best for what you are describing, the best for anyone really! You get an amazingly high calorie burn with absolutely no impact! Plus when you are done swimming, you don't feel all beat up! Otherwise I'm not sure what to recommend if you don't have a place to swim near you...good luck!
  • ashlensmomma
    ashlensmomma Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    bike, swim, lift weights.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    In honesty, if someone is so obese that they cannot use a machine because the machine cannot hold them they need to seek professional help so that they don't hurt themselves physiologically or physically. A trainer would be a great start, or ask their doctor what are recommended exercises. They would probably just be lifts with light weights while sitting.