Any mothers into meal planning???

Options
Any momma's into meal planning? Please shares tips, sites, etc.

Replies

• fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am!

I don't use any websites to help with it, other than just writing down in a notebook what the meals will be that week. I have to plan for 2 adults and a toddler, and she eats usually what we eat. I always have a few "emergency" foods on hand in case she refuses to eat what we are eating, or it's not something she can eat.

I love to cook, so I don't mind the time it takes to cook a lot. I use Saturdays to prep for veggie broth (if I need to make any), make bread (2 loaves for the week), and those kind of bigger ventures. Saturday I also plan the meals for Monday-Sunday night for the next week.

First I think of what we should eat for lunch. We usually eat the same thing for lunch all week, and the sides vary. For instance the past week we ate subs (organic deli meat, cheese, veggies) with a side of either rice cakes, almonds, dried edamames, or leftover butternut squash soup.

Then I think of what we should eat for dinner. I use Pinterest for some inspiration, but because I like the Mediterranean diet/cuisine, I do some research on authentic Mediterranean (Spanish, French, Middle Eastern, Italian, etc) cuisine. Usually two recipes will yield us not just 2 dinners, but leftovers for 2-3 more days as well.

I usually buy a frozen Amy's pizza, or a Naan pizza just in case a recipe goes horribly wrong or I didn't have the time to cook that day.

We always buy a bunch of bananas and about 5-7 pieces of a certain fruit -- which I switch seasonally.

Allrecipes.com is a great website with lots of recipes. I prefer, for dieting, skinnytaste.com. VERY healthy and inspirational!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    When I make a grocery list I also make a meal plan for suppers and weekend lunches. I do not put a day plan on it I simply post the list afterwards and my hubby and I as well as the kids decide what we want the next day out of what's on there. Its helpful so we dont have to run to the store every day as well as I can plan other meals of the day and snacks around what we've chosen.

It never worked planning days ahead of that time because we ended up not 'wanting' what was scheduled. We usually do 2 weeks at a time with 2 spare suppers just in case.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I make up a meal plan along with the grocery list as well. I usually buy foods know we eat regularly that are either canned or can be frozen (meats, pasta, canned tomatoes, frozen veggies, etc.) when they are on sale, and then plan out a weekly menu based on what fresh produce is on sale (or seafood, which I don't like to freeze).

I use allrecipes a lot for recipe ideas. I've been using Pinterest a lot lately too. Other websites I love -- Kaylyn's Kitchen (South Beach Recipes), eatingwell.com, and skinnytaste.com. There are quite a few once a month menu planning sites out there too.

I usually plan suppers and do leftovers for lunch, or cook up extra chicken and make a salad. (Ds often opts for peanut butter). I also buy lots of snack food (fruit and 2% cheese/cheese sticks are favorites around here). I try to keep ingredients for a few staple meals on hand too, even if they aren't as nutritious as I'd like (thinking of frozen ravioli and jarred spaghetti sauce here... but still cheaper and healthier than eating out!).
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I make a meal plan each week. I usually ask each of my kids (3) to pick a meal, and then ask hubby, and I figure out the last 3. I do cook what is planned though, if I say on Monday we are having ginger beef, then its a 97% chance that we'll be having ginger beef. The only time I really change what we're having is if its an unusually hot day, or if I forgot to take the meat out of the freezer and its too late.

I just make a grocery list each week based on what we are having for dinner, and we have other staples that we always buy. Cheerios, crackers etc.

I couldn't function without my weekly menu. Seriously, we have so many allergies, intolerances and dislikes to work around that it would be impossible to just decide on meals at the last minute and still have them balanced for everyone.
  • amyrebtx
    amyrebtx Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Try Onceamonthmom.com. They just converted to a membership site, but you can get all of their meal plans from 2011 and prior for free. Really a great, informative help for meal planning, all the way down to spreadsheets you can use.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I make a meal plan and then buy my groceries off of that.
  • JCKKB374
    JCKKB374 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I make a "Dinners for the Week" sheet that I hang on the fridge. I make that list based on what is on sale that week. My kids are older so they do their own breakfast/lunch thing (2 are away at college, the 24 year old is home)