constipation

Options
Posting a topic that will guarantee that i never put up a photograph but there you go.

How do you cope with the constipation that comes when losing weight?

I know drinking more water is important and keeping fiber high, but if you do these things and you still only open your bowels every 3 days or so :( it sucks! anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you are dehydrated, DRINK MORE. DRINK UNTIL YOU POOP WATER.

Regular bowel movements are part of being healthy. You should not have any major issues with deification.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Are you using some sort of product to up your fiber that might be binding you? I know that cinnamon tablets work well for me to get my system moving right. Are you drinking enough?
  • jaj68
    jaj68 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    hmmm......similar problem. I started taking Fiber Choice weight management. But it is perfectly "normal" to only go once every three days
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use a mild laxative like Coloxyl and Senna. But a lot of my issues are medication caused. Just make sure you're eating enough fibre.
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    Depends on why your constipating has happened. I had this problem quite severly last week and discovered thru research on internet that moving and not sitting was a key recommendation for how to become un-constipated. Went for a quick walk around the block and it made things move down there.

But prevention would be best i.e. eat fruit & fibres (porridge), and keep your food moist i.e. drink water with your food.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Psyllium Husk capsules can help get things moving along.
  • 140lbgoal
    Options
    LOL...I actually am doing way better than I use to! I notice the more fresh fruit and vegetables I eat, the easier it is and also walking helps. I walk a lot because I am on my feet for 8 hours at work and sure enough, that is where it usually hits me. Drink lots of water, walk as much as possible and eat healthy. This works for me and I use to only go once or twice a week, but now it is once or twice a day. Everyone poops so don't be ashamed to discuss the topic...lol
  • ediths6
    ediths6 Posts: 72
    Options
    im likely not drinking enough i eat bran and oats and lots of salad - i think when im at uni i go too long not eating or drinking illl need to be more consistant with carrying a large water bottle- its just starting to be painfull im hoping i havent been eating something thats hurting my chances of being regular with this.

someones told me its because i eat alot of bananas so im not going to have any this week and see
    and carry more water
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Regular bowel movements are part of being healthy. You should not have any major issues with deification.
    Well, I tried to become a god, but all the villagers thought I was full of BS and chased me out.
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Yea, it's all about bulk and water for me. I have to eat a few pieces of fruit a day - apples, mostly, and enjoy a bowl of Raisin Bran each night, along with sufficient water, or things just don't move along for me. I also take a shot of Metamucil each day, which as I get old (I'm 45) I find helps too.

The more junk food I eat, the more bound up I get. If I have a good food day, things just move along.

Sorry if that was TMI, but the key is fibre, water and things will get back to normal. I skip a day once in awhile, but if I hit my food goals, I'm pretty regular.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Fiber without water = concrete.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have to not post a photo based on this question. This is something i suffer from daily. I have diverticulitis, and was only diagnosed 2 years ago after I finally gave in and had a colonoscopy done at the age of 31. I've had times in my life where I went several days without a BM, and it was extremely painful. This is with drinking a TON of water all the time, eating right, working out, everything you are suppose to do. There is NOTHING to be ashamed about when it comes to this. Everyone deals with it at one time or another. **HUGS**

Now, for what has helped me. Straight psyllium husk, mixed with light chocolate soymilk. ( I have this maybe twice a week ) Every morning I put a half serving of miralax in my coffee. I still try and eat right, and I certainly work out. Even with all this, sometimes I still have some problems, but for the most part, this has helped tremendously. Good Luck, feel free to mesg me if you have any questions about constipation. It's not something to be embarrassed about.
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    Mhm.. I eat bananas, no problem. They're soft.

But yeah, drink something with your food. You basically want to keep your stool soft. Nutritionists might advise against drinking water before eating or with eating because you're flushing away the acids in your stomach, but I just get constipated if I eat food without water. And yeah, it is really painful to be constipated. I was so surprised last week at how much it affected me, and how much I struggled to concentrate on my studies. Okay, I lie - I couldn't concentrate at all.
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have always struggled with constipation, but it has gotten so much worse since I've started dieting in ernest. I eat plenty of fiber, drink plenty of water, take metamusil twice daily, and have been taking Miralax twice a day for three days now with no reuslts. I have just resorted to taking double the recommended dose of dulcolax. If this doesn't work, I don't know what else to do! Please HELP!!!
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    How high is your fiber? I normally get 25-30g of fiber and have not had any problems.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has a bowel movement every day, but if this isn't normal for you, drink water, increase fiber a reasonable amount, and exercise, especially things like running.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    People have mentioned the big ones--water, fiber and exercise. But also consider your fat intake. If you're regularly coming in significantly under your fat goal, this could be contributing to your constipation issue,
  • stinamarie17
    stinamarie17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    drink warm liquids like tea... hot liquids will help get things moving in the right direction haha... do you notice that this happens regularly or is it just after you eat certain things?