Walking v. Bike Riding

Options
I'm having a bit of a brain fart today. Can anyone explain the benefits/differences between bike riding or outside walking, moderate pace? I'm trying very hard to get outside and walk every day (3 miles). But honestly sometimes I just don't have the time or desire to walk. Bike riding seems like a reasonable subsitution.

Replies

• CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Both are great cardio exercises. Not sure what the difference is between them besides the obvious but when I was biking I'd burn more calories in a smaller amt. of time versus walking mostly because I pushed myself to go faster. Whatever works for you is what is best (IMO). If it gets you motivated to exercise do it.
  • Lola142012
    Lola142012 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My husband has lost 25 lbs from bike riding!!! I really recommend it :).
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Often I choose the bike because it's just faster and not as boring -- can't listen to a book though, while riding. If I've got a great audio book on the MP3 player and just NEED a hour of listening and walking, then that's the way I roll. Variety is the spice of life -- do lots of each.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What ever gets you out and moving is the BEST. :)
  • PapaDunx
    Options
    Bike riding can be easier to regulate how much effort you put in for a longer period of time.
    It also means you get to see more countryside than walking alone.
    It also helps that the world isnt flat and so the workout is varied

But then I love bike riding.
    Last year I lost 15lbs/7kg due to cycling
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Of course it depends on how you walk or bike. If you just roll along very slowly, it's easier than walking, but if you push a little, it's tougher than if you just walk along easily. So I'd say: The real difference is in the muscles you use. I'd think it's better to mix biking and walking, because then you work out difference muscles, and you don't get bored as easily. One thing though: you have to bike for as long as you would be walking. Riding your bike for the same 3 mile trip as you would walk is cheating. :-)
  • flajocar
    Options
    I bike all the time, both outside and inside on my recumbent, mostly because i can burn far more calories faster. Plus i have a bad leg and can't walk very far without pain.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I would say the difference is sustainability. If you don't want to do something, you will find every reason not to. If you would rather ride than walk, then do it. I started out biking a few miles here and there, on my kids' bikes about 6 years ago, because I didn't enjoy walking. I found that I really enjoyed it. Now I routinely bike anywhere from 20 to 65 miles at a time. My cardiovascular system is in great shape, my legs and core are strong....oh yeah, and I lost 100 pounds.
  • solamentemama
    Options
    Yup, both great cardiovascular exercises. I prefer biking over walking for two reasons: it burns more calories for same amount of time and its very low impact. However, I do both in any given week. I use a walking for my light days or rest days even.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Bike riding is higher intensity to my body. I burn much more calories in a hour and its lower impact to my feet.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I rode 60 miles yesterday morning, from Carlsbad, CA to San Clemente, CA, and back ; ride time 4 hours, 20 min. That's 13.9 mph., or what I'd call a moderate pace. I burned 2286 calories. Non-impact, nice breeze, lots of ground covered.

If I walked for 4 hours and 20 min at a moderate pace (maybe that would be at an amusement park or something) MFP estimates I would burn 943 calories.

Hmmmm.
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    Options
    For me cycling is fun and you can travel reasonable distances. Often if we're going somewhere ~20 miles away I'll cycle and my husband drives with the kids. Fits into life. Walking just isn't fast enough and doesn't *feel* like exercise.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Whatever gets you active, I try to use my bicycle as much as possible in the summer to go to work (roughly from April to end of September), I also walk with my dog. During the colder months, I take the bus but get off a bit further from work (about 30 minutes walk).