What kinda bike should I get?

Options
Okay, so the last time I rode a bike was when I was 9. I'm 20 now, and its been a while since I've owned a bike...I was just wondering if there is a special kind of bike that would be beneficial to me. I'd like to cycle a couple of miles 3-4 days a week.

So, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks!!

Replies

• gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Depends on what type of cycling you want to do, avoid buying a bike with fancy suspension unless you plan on doing some serious offroad cycling as it only adds weight, as a general rule the lighter the bike the better they tend to be but if you have not rode for over 10 years why not just get a cheap second hand bike first as you might hate it?
  • timerr
    timerr Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!

I was planning on riding it within the city....I don't live in the country (wish I did). So I'll prob get a light weight one. Nice suggestion BTW. I'll probably look for second hand ones, do you know of anywhere that might sell them? (Sorry, I've got no clue :-S)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    craigslist
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I prefer the ones with two wheels... LOL> Just kidding though. (well, it does help if they have two wheels)... To me, if you are just riding for pleasure on the roads, a basic bike should be sufficient... Just invest in a really comfortable seat... Nothing like saddle sores to keep you off your bike and making it more of an oversized decoration... Even a good seat will be somewhat uncomfortable to start with BUT with a little time, it will get better. Also, if you are just riding for pleasure/exercise, most likely multiple speeds (3-speed, 10-speed) would be unnecessary and perhaps counterproductive...
  • gregsonevans
    gregsonevans Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I paid £30 for my bike on a facebook selling page 2 months ago and I cycled just short of 900 miles in August on it without a problem, I use sports tracker to monitor my rides and calorie loss etc and I find that really pushes me to ride further and harder every time I ride, the only thing I did to my bike was fit smoother puncture proof tyres as I was getting one a day and the smoother tyres makes it so much easier to ride on the roads
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have a 10 speed mountain bike. It has fatter tires than cross country bikes. I ride in the grass, up and down hills so need to change speeds so I'm not killing myself trying to peddle up hill etc. I ride on dirt trails and around lakes. I have the regular handle bars because the curved kind that look like a rams horns hurt my back. You need to sit on them in the store and make sure the seat is the right fit as well as the frame. There are road bikes, mountain, racing and even stunt bikes which is what our son has. If your going cross country and staying on the roads you would need a 10speed light weight bike. Make sure you get measured to get a good fit. They can run $300 to $5,000. WHile mine is a mountain bike I had it special made for me and paid over 300 for it. I picked the frame, tires, seat and special measured handle bars so that its the same width as my shoulders. They measure you from shoulder tip to shoulder tip across your back to get the proper handle bars. If its for cross country or racing they need to measure your inseam for the proper frame size, your arm length, shoulder to seat length and more. If your just going to cruise around town you can get any bike really. Walmart has some starting around 80 dollars on up. You can even get a cute basket for the front, a horn or bell and a funky helmet lol
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have a hybrid (in between a road and a mountain bike). If you plan on mostly roads, get tires that have less rolling friction, lighter bike frame always makes longer rides more enjoyable. If you plan to do hills (and most bike rides have them) the more gears you have the better. Mine has 21 (pretty standard in bike shops in the US.) They allow you to maintain a more constant cadence throughout your ride (for longer distances) and doesn't deplete your legs as fast on the hills. My bike has twist shifters and I like them more than the click shifters. Get a bike computer which gives you speed, distance, and time measurements. Always wear a helmet when riding roads with traffic. Join a cycling club for longer, social rides on the weekends... Plenty of used bikes around looking for new homes. You might want to try there first to see it you like the sport.
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Craigslist is a great resource if you know what you want BUT it sounds like you're not sure.

You need to go somewhere where you can try out a bunch of different bikes. Depending on where you live, there may be a used or consignment bike shop. OR you could go to a real bike shop just to try some stuff out to get an idea of what you might want. Once you find out, craigslist is great.

Enjoy your bike.

One more thing. If you do get a used bike, take it to a bike shop to get it tuned up and working properly.

Good luck!!!