On weighing one's self

Options
For the last few months I have fallen back into some bad habits that I had before I lost 55 pounds. I know that I have gained some weight back, but looking back I realize that I became obbsessed with the number on the scale. I would let that number contribute to my mood for the whole day. I do not want my life to be run by my weight. I have decided to not weight myself. Simple as that. I am going back to my good habits, just no weighing...any thoughts on this?

Replies

• lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I think its a great idea if thats whats going to work best for you and keep you happy! if the scale brings down your mood for the day then it obviously isnt doing you any good, and you will be able to tell if your losing weight by your clothes and such anyways!!
    Im one of those "weigh everyday or else" type people who needs to weigh everyday, and yes when it goes UP im kinda bummed but at the same time it just motivates me to work harder, and if its down im super pumped for the day.. but i know a lot of people just lose all their motivation if it stays same, goes up, doesnt go down enough, so in that case maybe you should stop weighing all together- or weigh once a month after eating healthy and probably KNOWING youve lost! Maybe not make a goal weight but a goal size/measurement and just work your way to it!!
  • supercool111
    Options
    I think that is a really good idea. I think you should hold off on weighing yourself until you are sure you'll be happy with the number you see!
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. If you're working on having healthy habits, it will become noticeable whether or not you weigh, as your clothes get looser, you feel healthier, etc. I was thinking that weighing sometimes slows my progress because if the result wasn't incredible, I feel bad. So I might start weighing once a month or so, myself, while still striving just as hard every day.
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree too, my ticker doesn't move very much on here now. I also was letting the scale change my mood. When I get on the scale I say a number out loud, trying to guess what it will be (and I always say something higher than what I really think it's going to be). Then when it's lower, I get excited.
  • jrobertson37
    jrobertson37 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I do not own a scale!!! I have been dieting since March and have lost close to 50 lbs. All I do is keep my measurements. I get on the scale at work maybe once a month. I said i was going to purchase a scale when my diet ends in March but I changed my mind. I like the measurment system better. The scale can be your worst enemy. I have been stuck at 169 since November but Im wearing size 10 clothes. Im not tall im only 5'2. So go figure. I know me, I would be on the scale everyday, stressing my self out like so many others.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ask a loved one to hide your scale. Seriously that is what I did. I was obsessed with it, wanted to weigh every day and got discouraged. My friend Karen had my scale at her house and I'd go over once a week for my weigh-in ;)

It worked!!!
  • ccdo
    ccdo Posts: 217
    Options
    i myself dont like the scales at all and yet i weigh myself twice daily to make sure i dont go over a certain number. but like others say i record the lowest number in the week here on MFP and i always record my measurements daily cause they are a better indication of wthether im loosin weight or not and also my smallest jeans i fit them on everyday and that way i can tell if im loosin inches or not and so far so good its workin wonders im not gaining weight at all. the thing about scales is that it weighs everythin in ur body whereas as measurments really measure the amount of fat lost or fat gained etc so ye ill only weigh my self once a week and not let the scales dictate my mood for the day ever again :flowerforyou:
  • fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone who posted a reply! All of your advice was great! I decided to stick with not weighing myself and so far it really is working. I feel good just knowing I am getting back into shape, and that is good enough. Thanks again all :happy: