Help.. Still not loosing!!

Options
I started MFP approx 2 weeks ago. Still not lost a thing not even 1/2 a lb! I have been sticking to my calorie allowance, drinking plenty of water and exercising way more than I have done usually. I can't see where I'm going wrong and could really do with some help and advise. I'm 5ft 2'' amd need to loose around 40lbs. I am having tests through doctor to check for diabetes and thyroid problems but I'm sure this isn't the problem.

Those of you who have lost successfully... How do yu do it? I have around 1200 calories a day and occassionally eat back what I earns through exercise. I've gone through some people's diaries on here and I seem to eat way more than some people I'm sure.

I'm completely at a loss, I need help and motivation.

Any successful members please add me I'd love to see your diaries

Thanks x

Replies

• raetonycass
    raetonycass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see what you are eating or exercising it is hard to tell. Are you on any medications? I took one that caused weight gain. Getting a dr to rule out medical reasons is a great start.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, so I can't tell you if you're eating too much carbs, not enough protein, bad fats, etc.

1,200/day isn't high at all. In fact, it's the MINIMUM you should eat as a woman to lose weight regardless of height (unless you're incredibly short -- like under 4'10").

For the first month, to jump start your metabolism, keep your (NET) cals at 1,200. I don't recommend eating back exercise calories unless you need to make your NET at 1,200.

Cut out fast food. Throw out your salt shaker. Try green tea. Eat clean. Try to get a vegetable in at EVERY meal and possibly every snack. It's preferred to eat throughout the day from 4-6xday to keep your metabolism going. The snacks should be 100-150 cals for now and be high protein and/or high fiber.

You can make sure you're participating in cardio 3-4 x week, strength is very important and make sure you do that 2-3 x week.

If you don't know if it's healthy, think about a produce aisle. Cut out bread for a while and use wraps instead if you really need a sandwich or sub. Get lots of lentils, beans, grains, oats, quinoa and eat those. Leafy vegetables like kale and spinach are great because the body burns more calories just processing them than what they're actually worth!

We also cut out most drinks. We only drink water, have coffee black now, drink tea or treat ourselves to lower calorie and lower fat Starbucks drinks. No pop/soda. No alcohol. Not for a while at least :)
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary it's impossible to give you specific advice.

Here are some common issues you can consider and see if they may fit your situation:

-Not logging everything. You have to log everything that passes your lips, including beverages. There are no "free" foods.

-Eyeballing portions. Weighing portions on a scale is the most accurate. If you don't have a kitchen scale, then measure carefully. I highly recommend getting a scale though.

-Using a lot of "diet" foods. Most pre-packaged "diet" foods replace the missing fat with salt and sugar. Both of these will cause water retention and you'll see those pounds on the scale, masking any weight loss.

-Eating a lot of fast food or pre-packaged foods. Again, loaded with sodium and sugars, causing water retention.

-Overestimating your exercise calories.

-Double-logging exercise. This usually happens when someone sets their activity level as inclusive of a fair amount of activity yet still logs daily activity as "exercise".

ETA: My diary is open to friends, so add me if you think it would be helpful.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    To add to the above poster, I would also recommend buying a digital food scale. You can buy them fairly cheaply and they're a great investment. Don't eyeball anything. If you can, measure things in grams and in metric. You can do cups and what not but the metric system is slightly more accurate.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    you probly need more food..1200 calories is so low that at times on some peeps your body can go into like a starvation mode.. hold on to fat vs loosing??!! idk.. how much do you need to loose?? not a lot or?? all things are factors... if your having high sodium or??? i have a lot to loose.. 60 ish pounds .. and my first mo on mfp i was at 1200 cals.. and then i upped it 1380 and now 1480 im over 200 pounds and 1200 cals aint squat... i did loose 15 pounds tho in last 6wks!.. so it can/does work
    but it all depends.. you might do better and loose if you cut out carbs/refined sugars more...
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calorie target is correct - follow the link and see where you should be - too few calories will prevent loss just like too many will. Eat more than your BMR and less than your TDEE!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • dlbinin
    dlbinin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Make sure your calorie target is correct - follow the link and see where you should be - too few calories will prevent loss just like too many will. Eat more than your BMR and less than your TDEE!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^^This
  • shenaniguns
    shenaniguns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything, and I mean everything, and these were the things that I did that ended up making a big difference --

1. No carbonation AT ALL.
    2. I gave up coffee unless I mix it with the Pure Protein drink as the "creamer" - if you drink a lot of caffeine, you have to slowly wean yourself off or you will get a migraine.
    3. I eat a protein every 4 hours.
    4. I force myself to eat a high protein breakfast within an hour of getting out of bed (one of the hardest things for me to do was to make myself eat breakfast).
    5. Drink 2-3 liters of water a day.
    6. Don't eat after 7 pm (preferably after 6 pm)
    7. Pretty much no artificial sweetener except Stevia (Truvia and Stevia in the Raw are not actually Stevia by the way).
    8. No sugar/no alcohol for a while.
    9. I only do cardio. I will start lifting weight after I get to my goal weight. I need to see the pounds drop to stay motivated (right or wrong) and since building muscle can slow that down, for me, it is best to stick to cardio alone until I lose the last 10.
  • emstethem
    emstethem Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Maybe try counting carbs instead of calories?
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm sure its true - and alot of people are going to tell you that you ARE NOT eating enough.

Eating less does not mean you lose weight.

1200 calories may be too low for you.

I increased my calories to 1500 calories per day and have lost 3 lbs per week doing this.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You might need to give it more time. A week isn't very long. Sometimes people are a little low on their estimates of calories so it wouldn't hurt to notch down 100 calories and see how you do. ONly you can decide though. No one here can tell you how many calories to eat. You can always just notch up or down and see how you do.

If you are a femaile over 12% BF or a male over 6% of BF it is not going to hurt you to do down a bit (unless you have emotional eating issues). The is no scientific evidence for starvation mode above those BF %'s.

Losing weight requires patience patience patience. Focus each day on eat less, move more, nothing else really matters. Once you find the right amount of calories for you ditch the scale except to check once a week or so. There are too many fluctuations with water, hormones, digestion, sodium, allergies, inflamation, DOMS, the list goes on. You body has cycles.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" also and I'm on 1,600 calories a day. My diary is public if you want to take a look. My first couple of weeks on MFP, I actually gained weight. I think my body was freaking out, but then the weight started to come off. Also, like some other people have mentioned, you have to eat according to how active you are. Some people think 1,200 calories is the magic number for weight loss and it is for some people, but everyone is different.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options

exactly what I was going to suggest!!

You're probably not eating enough calories - it took a long time for me to get my mind wrapped around the eating more will cause a weight loss - just have to eat the right things - like others have said - stay away from the pre-packaged / processed foods - - check your measurements as well as the scale
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Give it timeee if your eating like junk or tons of carbs though than your body is going to say store fat because your going to spike your insulin.. but if you wanna keep that low of calories to lose keep it but give it time... i agree with California 100 percent
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    You should be eating back what you burn from exercise, not just when you feel like it. Your deficit is there before you even exercise.
  • lreyenga
    Options
    Two weeks is nothing! Bear in mind that your body weight can fluctuate by a couple of pounds just by water retention (hydration, salt intake, hormones), so it may take a few pounds lost before you see stable weight loss.

I just started as well and haven't lost weight yet either, those I may have lost inches (or I am just challenged at measuring myself). I figure be consistent and stick to a schedule and let the process work. :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything, and I mean everything, and these were the things that I did that ended up making a big difference --

1. No carbonation AT ALL.
    2. I gave up coffee unless I mix it with the Pure Protein drink as the "creamer" - if you drink a lot of caffeine, you have to slowly wean yourself off or you will get a migraine.
    3. I eat a protein every 4 hours.
    4. I force myself to eat a high protein breakfast within an hour of getting out of bed (one of the hardest things for me to do was to make myself eat breakfast).
    5. Drink 2-3 liters of water a day.
    6. Don't eat after 7 pm (preferably after 6 pm)
    7. Pretty much no artificial sweetener except Stevia (Truvia and Stevia in the Raw are not actually Stevia by the way).
    8. No sugar/no alcohol for a while.
    9. I only do cardio. I will start lifting weight after I get to my goal weight. I need to see the pounds drop to stay motivated (right or wrong) and since building muscle can slow that down, for me, it is best to stick to cardio alone until I lose the last 10.

I pretty much don't recommend any of the above especially #9. If you don't do weights you will lose muscle. Loss of muscle causes your BMR to go down and therefore you can eat even less to maintain your weight. Do weights over cardio every time you have the opportunity. If you hear all those stories about people losing weight quickly and then not being able to maintain it is because they lose their lean muscle. Don't be a statistic.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey still not losing (loosing)! Unlock ur diary if u want help.
  • shenaniguns
    shenaniguns Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    "I pretty much don't recommend any of the above especially #9. If you don't do weights you will lose muscle. Loss of muscle causes your BMR to go down and therefore you can eat even less to maintain your weight. Do weights over cardio every time you have the opportunity. If you hear all those stories about people losing weight quickly and then not being able to maintain it is because they lose their lean muscle. Don't be a statistic."

You don't agree with eating frequently, drinking lots of water, or having breakfast??? I have gained muscle, and I go to a specific clinic to have my body composition done regularly. It is MY experience and what has worked for ME. I have lost over 45 pounds and dramatically dropped my body fat, visceral fat and increased my muscle. What works for you might not work for everyone, which is specifically why I stated it is MY choice. I am amazed at how many people in the "community" believe they have all the answers and their way is the only way to do it.