Not Smoking And Loosing Weight

Options
Not a match made in heaven. I feel so stink at the moment, as I am trying to watch what I eat, but I keep snacking :(

I eat carrots and apples a lot when I get a hunger craving...but I work as a chef, and I find it really hard not to pick at the moment.

Is anyone going through a similar thing? Any tips?

Replies

• Ashley8993
    Options
    I have never picked up smoking as a habit, but almost everyone I know has gone through this. I worked at a fast food restaurant, so I can understand wanting to eat the food. The thing that helps me in that department is bringing my own snacks that I have already accounted for that day. Also, drinking coffee helps because caffeine is a natural hunger suppressant(just don't go overboard on cream and sugar). My friend started taking lozenges to help with quitting smoking, they have different flavors but I am not sure what the cal count is on those. Just eat filling foods for your meals, a lot of meat because the protein keeps you fuller longer and like I said just keep your own snacks handy.
  • Ivarivdnoe
    Ivarivdnoe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I started exercising and eating healthier on August 6, and quit smoking altogether August 10, and I have not felt better about my decision! You have to create a different mind set. I quit cold turkey! I just told myself I had to, I keep myself busy, and I rarely think about it now! If I get a craving, I get a straw, and work my way through it, but that has actually only happened 1x since I quit!. It also took 3 weeks for any weight to start coming off, even though I was eating correctly and exercising everyday! It definitely is hard, believe me, but put your mind totally on this that you don't want to put that cigarette in your mouth any longer! Good luck to you!!
  • chucknorrisfan
    Options
    I started exercising and eating healthier on August 6, and quit smoking altogether August 10, and I have not felt better about my decision! You have to create a different mind set. I quit cold turkey! I just told myself I had to, I keep myself busy, and I rarely think about it now! If I get a craving, I get a straw, and work my way through it, but that has actually only happened 1x since I quit!. It also took 3 weeks for any weight to start coming off, even though I was eating correctly and exercising everyday! It definitely is hard, believe me, but put your mind totally on this that you don't want to put that cigarette in your mouth any longer! Good luck to you!!

I am smoke free for 8 days, and I too went cold turkey. Thank you for the help. It just seems a bit overwhelming that I'm tying to loose weight, and then giving up smoking...which famously can lead to weight gain! The smoking part is under control now, so back to watching the diet!!!
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I quit years almost 9 years ago old turkey and it was one of hardest things I have done. One thing that really helped because wanted to eat, was to cut up straws the same length as cigarettes. I found ou that the act of large inhales on the straw and the feeling in my hands were part of the craving in addition to the smoke itself. Make sure to use the thick straws, as it did make a difference.

I actually remember bringing straws with me to the bar on vacation because everyone was drinking and it actually helped.

Good luck
  • Xvmandsie
    Xvmandsie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm smoke free, week 3! I have found myself wanting to eat and snack more often, and the only way i've been able to combat it is to try and drink as much water from a straw as possible. I think the straw helps because its shaped cylindrical sort of like a cigarette? I'm not sure, but it definitely has helped me!! I'd rather have a slower weight loss then be smoking. Friend up with me if you need support :)
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am smoke free - 10 months now. I did gain a significant amount of weight...50lbs. I was doing nothing as far as working out and watching what I ate. Now I work out and try to keep the calories at about 1200. I've lost 11 lbs and seem to be holding. I do more than 2 hours a day cardio and I also do strength training. I feel firmer and smaller, but the numbers on the scale seem to stay the same!
  • riverab1
    Options

I also quit cold turkey 2 weeks and 4 days ago, and totally agree with this! I do still get slight cravings, tell myself I do not smoke anymore, and do something else. I smoked for almost 20 years and tried to quit numerous times. The only times I have managed to quit were when I got pregnant and this time. I have not lost weight, but I have not really gained anything either. I also sort of fell off the exercise and diet wagon these last few weeks too. You really can do it, I promise!!! Good luck to you!
  • Ivarivdnoe
    Ivarivdnoe Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I am smoke free for 8 days, and I too went cold turkey. Thank you for the help. It just seems a bit overwhelming that I'm tying to loose weight, and then giving up smoking...which famously can lead to weight gain! The smoking part is under control now, so back to watching the diet!!!

If you need to talk it out I suggest getting on MFP, a lot of times I just needed to be doing something. I never smoked inside, so that was a plus. So anytime I wanted a cig I just hopped on the computer and came to mfp to read on the success stories! I am here for you, I will friend you, and you can message me anytime!
  • ellyinflight
    Options
    I quit smoking about three years ago, cold turkey. Went from 25 cigs a day to none in the blink of an eye, and immediately began my weight loss journey and lost over 40lbs. I can really sympathise with how hard it is, but I can tell you that as time goes on you'll notice one really great weight loss benefit: you can exercise much more comfortably! That's the reason I quit in the first place, I knew I was never going to lose weight while I couldn't even breathe properly.

For the moment, I'd say relax a little on your food. You might snack a bit more but that's not going to last forever, once the addiction is out of your system you'll feel much more in control. Do what you can to choose lower calorie snacks but forgive yourself when you don't. You could also consider buying a no nicotine electronic cigarette, they behave just like real cigarettes but without the health damage and addiction.
  • harveysnith27
    Options
    Smoking is not good for our health. There is nothing like that if you are smoking and your weight is losing.
    Weight losing is totally different task. To weight lose have to maintain diet and avoid some things also.
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free 2 years ago this July. I also started a weight loss plan at the same time. I was 268 lbs. then, 219 today. I know what you are going through, but stick with it...it gets easier. Instead of snacking to fill the void of cigarette cravings, I would chew on toothpicks, coffee stirrers, or cut up pieces of straws. If that didn't keep me from eating, I would pop in a Halls cough drop, because noting tastes right after one of those, haha. I would also drop and do 5 pushups every time I had a really bad craving (this number eventually increased). I work in an industrial environment, so cigarette smoke is everywhere, but I no longer have any cravings. Sending you a friend request if you want anymore suggestons.