Knee pain after bike riding...

Options
We rode 14 miles today. I know that's a warm up for some folks, but for us it was the longest distance we've ever gone. My knees started hurting a bit during the last two miles, but not too bad. Now, after a few hours, and half a pain pill, they are still making themselves known.

I was just going to slap on some Ben Gay. Anything better for them? I have psoriatic arthritis and take Humira injections every two weeks. I just gave myself my shot yesterday, and I know my joint pain is worse when my shot is due. But I wasn't sure what the best way to deal with my current knee pain. It's not oh-my-god-I'm-gonna-die bad, but it's definitely bugging me. Any suggestions?

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I would take your bike to a bike shop and have them check the seat height. I know that my knees hurt more when I ride if the seat is not in the proper position. There is a certain amount your knees should be bent when fully extended and a bike shop can make sure it's not too much.
  • jehuster
    Options
    Ice for 15 minutes every 3-4 hours, Ibuprofun, Ben Gay and if you sleep on your side put a pillow between your knees. I am suffering from a bad knee this weekend myself.

Hope it gets better for you. :flowerforyou:
  • RebmaGe1sha
    RebmaGe1sha Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have knee pain as well especially after jumping around. I used a generic ben gay and the pain went away rather quickly. Great job on the ride! I really enjoying bicycling as well. In fact, it's time for mine right now! Be back in an hour!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Ice and elevate?

No expert here-I experience the same thing when I bike. I can run and run and run and not feel any pain, but the peddling on a bike just bugs the heck out of my left knee. Ice and Tylenol seem to help
  • glenette1
    glenette1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Ice for 15 minutes every 3-4 hours, Ibuprofun, Ben Gay and if you sleep on your side put a pillow between your knees. I am suffering from a bad knee this weekend myself.

Hope it gets better for you. :flowerforyou:

This
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I would take your bike to a bike shop and have them check the seat height. I know that my knees hurt more when I ride if the seat is not in the proper position. There is a certain amount your knees should be bent when fully extended and a bike shop can make sure it's not too much.

If you are going to start doing long distances do yourself a favor and go to your local bike shop for a professional fitting. Your problem is undoubtedly solvable by adjusting your bike. Best of luck.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Well of course, this is just my suggestion, what I would do if it were me.
    I'd ice those joints,
    Make sure I'm taking the anti-inflammatory supplements
    Vit d3 (if I'm not in the sun regularly)
    Fish oil,
    Go to the chiropractor,
    And just continue to make healthy adjustments to my diet and exercise lifestyle.
    Nice ride, congratulations!
  • angbunny22
    Options

I had this happen to me and you are correct to take it to a bike shop and check everything....you can over extend your knee. In the mean time....BIOFREEZE :) and Aleve.
  • twelker878
    twelker878 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Bio Freeze lotion. The best ever. Use it all the time on my knees and calves. I have avascular necrosis.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Your seat should be just above your butt dimple when you stand on the ground, I think, just to address the post above.

I bike pretty much every day but I still get sore knees, mostly from having my bike speed set too high so I have to push down really hard to go faster which stresses the knees out. This mostly happens when crossing at a light because I stop and then get going again.

So make sure your bike isn't at too high if a setting, and gradually increase the speed to a comfortable pace. (I have a 21 speed, I usually start off at the 18th speed and then increase it, and make sure to click down when going up hills to make it more comfortable.)
  • dbevisjr
    Options
    No suggestion of what to put on your knees for the pain but I will say that you might have your seat adjusted too low. If you are only riding a few blocks to the park or something it isn't really an issue but for extended rides you need to extend your leg almost straight when at the bottom of the stroke. But DON'T pull the seatpost out too far. It will have a line on it a couple inches from the bottom that show the minimum insertion required for safety. Check with a nearby bike shop if that would be easier for you.

Edit: Rotate crank so that one pedal is all the way at the bottom. Sit on your seat with the heel of one foot on the low pedal. Your leg will be straight if the seat height is properly adjusted. Then when you place the ball of your foot on the pedal to ride your leg will be bent slightly.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Be careful with aleve, many people develop a reaction to it that includes itchy palms, feet, constricted throat, and scarring hives. It can happen first time or the 50th time. Numerous personal people in my life have had the reaction, and inworked at a clinic where we saw it frequently. Ibuprofen will work just as good, take it with a snack if you have a sensitive stomach.
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    Lots of great suggestions...thanks! I didn't even know you could go to a bike store and have it "fitted". I may have my seat up too high...don't think it's too low. As for speeds...well...I don't have a bike with speeds. Just a regular cruiser type bike. It's embarassing, but I never learned how to ride a bit with speeds.

I was so afraid to ride bikes for so many years. I had an accident when I was 12 years old, and the bike pedal actually punched through my leg to the bone. I finally got over my fear a few years ago, but was just too weak to ride at the time. I'm quite proud of the progress I've made so far, but boy do I have a lot to learn!! Thanks for the advice!
  • dbevisjr
    Options
    OP said she is on meds for arthritis. Don't take any other meds without checking with your doctor. Rest, ice, compress and elevate. Hope you feel better soon. Nice ride by the way.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    No suggestion of what to put on your knees for the pain but I will say that you might have your seat adjusted too low. If you are only riding a few blocks to the park or something it isn't really an issue but for extended rides you need to extend your leg almost straight when at the bottom of the stroke. But DON'T pull the seatpost out too far. It will have a line on it a couple inches from the bottom that show the minimum insertion required for safety. Check with a nearby bike shop if that would be easier for you.

Edit: Rotate crank so that one pedal is all the way at the bottom. Sit on your seat with the heel of one foot on the low pedal. Your leg will be straight if the seat height is properly adjusted. Then when you place the ball of your foot on the pedal to ride your leg will be bent slightly.

Ditto this or taking it in to the bike shop for a professional fitting.

Then, once you know the fit is right, measure the distance from the center of the crank to the bottom of the seat and write it down somewhere. Periodically check it to make sure that the seat is still at the proper height, especially before a long ride. My husband checks mine religiously because if it's the least little bit off it makes my knees want to weep and I have to do the whole "ice and anti-inflammatory" thing. Also, the shoes you wear (thickness of sole) can make a difference so make sure when you do the fitting that you're wearing the shoes you intend to wear when you ride.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Saddle height could be one issue, but if you're pushing too hard a gear you're also at risk of damaging your knees. Spinning faster is generally better than "mashing" in a slower, harder gear. I've ridden across the state of MI and never once had sore knees from riding my bike, but I also rarely drop below 70rpm. If you're pedaling with a slower cadence than that, then I'd put money on that being the issue.

IMO the best tool a person can have on any bike is a computer that shows cadence.