CrossFit

Options
Who has done it? What was it like? What were your results? I'm thinking of joining a crossfit gym, but I feel a bit intimidated by it.

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    79416491.jpg

There's a Crossfit Group here on MFP that could be helpful in finding the information you're looking for.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/99-crossfit-love

I haven't been yet, but I'd love to. Don't let what bodybuilding.com thinks of Crossfit deter you. I'll be the first to admit that compared to what those guys do, Crossfit probably isn't much. For me, it would be a wonderful accomplishment.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You could search for previous posts. I do agree with looking at some criticisms. I did Croosfit and I wouldn't do it again. There are good aspects but some bad ones as well. The way certain workouts are done, they are more prone to injury. I loved the Olympic lifting aspects, especially when they weren't part of the WOD.
  • GorgeouSaur
    Options
    Crossfit is a beast... And injury prevention is just a big a part of the workout themselves. Hence mobilitywod.com etc
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    I haven't been yet, but I'd love to. Don't let what bodybuilding.com thinks of Crossfit deter you. I'll be the first to admit that compared to what those guys do, Crossfit probably isn't much. For me, it would be a wonderful accomplishment.

Don't sell it short. It is a much better way to hurt yourself while simultaneously being a good way to get slower results by doing willy nilly style working out with no real plan for progression or periodization.
  • theartichoke
    Options

Don't sell it short. It is a much better way to hurt yourself while simultaneously being a good way to get slower results by doing willy nilly style working out with no real plan for progression or periodization.

Nothing good about it at all? I'm assuming from your description that proper form isn't a priority at Crossfit. I do Stronglifts 5X5 currently but love the thought of getting out there and actually USING my strength (I'm still a weenie) for something other than picking this bar up and putting it down. I love what lifting is doing for my body but I'm not doing it to stare at myself in the mirror. Okay, partially to stare at myself in the mirror. I want to be strong and use my strength. Have fun with it! Is there something better for getting out there and throwing stuff around?
  • Determinednoob
    Options

Nothing good about it at all? I'm assuming from your description that proper form isn't a priority at Crossfit. I do Stronglifts 5X5 currently but love the thought of getting out there and actually USING my strength (I'm still a weenie) for something other than picking this bar up and putting it down. I love what lifting is doing for my body but I'm not doing it to stare at myself in the mirror. Okay, partially to stare at myself in the mirror. I want to be strong and use my strength. Have fun with it! Is there something better for getting out there and throwing stuff around?

Carry the cooler or something ;) Stronglifts is decent though...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the workouts look fun. the one thing to keep in mind though is that they dont seem to put much forethought into the upcoming WOD so it's kind of like they pull stuff out of a hat and the result can be some really bizarre weekly combos , so on mondays you might be doing tons of deadlifts then on tuesdays tons of kettlebell swings or push presses. i know one week i saw there were lots of pushups one day and the the very next you're doing overhead press then the next day you're bench presses. that stood out to me because i'm working on some shoulder issues and doing 3 days straight of that type stuff would screw my shoulder up even more.

with that said i probably will join a crossfit box because the one i have my eye on is part of an indoor climbing gym. the WOD are listed in advance so i'll just pick which days i'd go but i doubt it be more than 3 days a week

oh yeah the one thing to warn you about is that they will try to push the paleo lifestyle on you but the place i went to for a free looky-loo was pretty cool about it when i told them that i wasnt there for nutritional advice and stopped asking me about how i was eating. i do know some other people have gone and felt uncomfortable with it, but honestly all it takes is one good but nice stated "STFU" and it isnt mentioned again.

most boxes will have a day that they look non members come and observe. you can maybe try that to see if you'd like it
  • theartichoke
    Options
    That's what I'm going to say from now on when people ask me why I lift. So I can carry the cooler. LOL!
  • Taneil27
    Options
    Well I was reading up on it, and they are so many different opinions. From good to bad to worse. Some people say it is great for health, strength, and endurance. While others say that it can literally kill you. Like they literally push you to the extreme which can be dangerous. Like to the point of throwing up and then going right back to it. I do not want that. I have no idea what to think lol
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Well I was reading up on it, and they are so many different opinions. From good to bad to worse. Some people say it is great for health, strength, and endurance. While others say that it can literally kill you. Like they literally push you to the extreme which can be dangerous. Like to the point of throwing up and then going right back to it. I do not want that. I have no idea what to think lol

since they post the WOD on the website why not try one on your own going as hard as you can to get an idea if it's something you'd like to do.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options

A couple people have died but mostly they were those who pushed themselves too hard at first and were relatively fit people. Shoulder injuries seem to be the most common issue though. I do think that the coaches tend to push too much because they do advertise themselves as 'extreme' and yes you will see high 5s if you have a torn blister or collar bone bruises (something I used to get regularly) or if you are collapsed on the floor. I just think there are better options out there. Trying out things like karate, rock climbing or other sports may be more conducive.
  • Taneil27
    Options

A couple people have died but mostly they were those who pushed themselves too hard at first and were relatively fit people. Shoulder injuries seem to be the most common issue though. I do think that the coaches tend to push too much because they do advertise themselves as 'extreme' and yes you will see high 5s if you have a torn blister or collar bone bruises (something I used to get regularly) or if you are collapsed on the floor. I just think there are better options out there. Trying out things like karate, rock climbing or other sports may be more conducive.

I think I agree with you. Getting high 5's for injuries? I don't think I want anything that extreme. I've been taking kickboxing classes and they have been kicking my butt. And I plan to start taking pilates/yoga classes to help tone. I think that would be better suited for me.

Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:
  • sugarcrystal8
    sugarcrystal8 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wow, so much negativity about CrossFit is a generalization. There are good boxes and bad boxes. I went to a bad box, and didn't look into it again after my first visit for another few months. Then tried a new box and loved it. The coaches are great, they emphasize form above everything else and you'll be stuck using PVC pipes or light barbells for awhile before they ever let you put weight on it. The WOD's are planned out so you're not using the same muscle group over and over in a row. The classes are kept at around 8 people so the coach can watch everyone's form. If form starts to suffer because you're pushing yourself too hard or tiring out, they'll call your name and tell you that. They'd rather you go slow, do less reps and have proper form then try for some personal record.

I've been doing it 4 months and I absolutely adore it and the community. I never get bored because each time I go it's something different, whereas at the regular gym, even working with a trainer it was the same thing over and over. It's not for everybody, but if anyone is thinking about trying it then try it and decide for yourself. I honestly was a lazy work out type person so I am amazed at how much I ended up loving it. My body is completely transforming and I am so much stronger and my endurance is 3x what it used to be which I notice now on my weekly hikes.