The Joys of Eating Once A Day

Options
I just recently made a blog and posted an article on my turbulent journey to weight loss, as well as my new-found discovery to eating once a day. aka. intermittent fasting.

http://shaylhem.blogspot.com/2012/09/nom-stop-nom.html

If you're looking for an interesting read, take a look. I didn't write it to necessarily be deterred. (translation: no hate please)
I went from binging to not binging. Eating junk food to eating primarily wholesome stuff. And being free from the bondage of not thinking about food, counting calories, or anything else. So why do I have a MFP account? Just because. ;)

It may not work for all, but for those who are interested in taking a stab at it, it just might help.

Enjoy!

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options

If you're looking for an interesting read, take a look. I didn't write it to necessarily be deterred. (translation: no hate please)
    I went from binging to not binging. Eating junk food to eating primarily wholesome stuff. And being free from the bondage of not thinking about food, counting calories, or anything else. So why do I have a MFP account? Just because. ;)

not trying to "hate"

I worry when people say they eat "700-1000" calories a day... and you only weigh 116-118#??? how tall are you? I am VERY short at 5'4" and my goal is 140... my 13 year old daughter (5'2") who is very slender weighs 130... and she is highly active and full of energy...
  • myIF
    myIF Posts: 15
    Options
    haha, hello!

I'm NOT eating that few calories anymore. Nowadays, I'd say I'm getting 1500-1900 on any given day. When I was eating that little, I was misinformed and wound up hurting my body. I thought I made the distinction between how I used to think and how I thought now. I'm definitely not promoting anyone to eat that little.

Also, I'm not completely sure how tall I am, so pardon the possible inaccuracy. I am not, however, waif, bony, or emaciated-looked. I am in good health. I suppose we all just carry weight differently.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    IF is a good thing as long as it is not used to restrict calories. I would suggest you log your food to make sure you eat enough, some of your meals look pretty low in calories.
  • myIF
    Options
    Thanks! After a year of counting calories, my mind does it automatically. (But, yes, I have checked)

And also, there's really no way of knowing whether a meal looks low in calories without knowing the portion size. I'm definitely not using it as a way to restrict calories, as I really don't want to lose weight. My portions are quite sustainable.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    haha, hello!

I'm NOT eating that few calories anymore. Nowadays, I'd say I'm getting 1500-1900 on any given day. When I was eating that little, I was misinformed and wound up hurting my body. I thought I made the distinction between how I used to think and how I thought now. I'm definitely not promoting anyone to eat that little.

Also, I'm not completely sure how tall I am, so pardon the possible inaccuracy. I am not, however, waif, bony, or emaciated-looked. I am in good health. I suppose we all just carry weight differently.

You don't know how tall you are?
  • myIF
    Options
    No. It sounds dumb, I know, but I really have no clue. My driver's license says one thing. My doctor says another. My family says another. It's just one of those things I never cared enough to seriously find out/remember. I remember my jean size across styles half the time I go shopping. It's just one of those things...
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I do this same thing. I have a 5 hour eating window every day. I don't log my calories to make sure I'm not going over, I log them to make sure I'm meeting them every day, it's VERY easy to be way under calories doing this kind of eating. It's also made me feel amazing, I don't ever binge, I am very strong when I work out fasted and I'm losing weight steadily per week. My calories are 1200, I do eat back my exercise calories...I'm petite and short, that's why my calories are lower.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not completely sure how tall I am,

Yeah, really. WTF? Have you never been to a doctor? Or been curious for that matter? Who doesn't know how tall they are?

Edit: You replied while I was posting.

Your doctor would be the accurate one. Who ever applied for your driver's license would have written whatever number is on that. Your family may not have the means to measure accurately. But I seriously cannot believe someone who says they don't know how tall they are. That's crazy. LOL.
  • myIF
    Options
    disregard..
  • myIF
    Options
    I do this same thing. I have a 5 hour eating window every day. I don't log my calories to make sure I'm not going over, I log them to make sure I'm meeting them every day, it's VERY easy to be way under calories doing this kind of eating. It's also made me feel amazing, I don't ever binge, I am very strong when I work out fasted and I'm losing weight steadily per week. My calories are 1200, I do eat back my exercise calories...I'm petite and short, that's why my calories are lower.

That's great! I'm so happy to see someone else (who's also a woman) having such great results. My problem with counting calories was that I was always more inclined to overeat just to fill a 100-200 caloric "need". The great thing about our bodies is that they don't reset every 24hrs. I can always (and usually do) make up for it the next day.

And I also started out eating within a 5 hour window too! It just kind of morphed into this over time.
  • myIF
    Options

Yeah, really. WTF? Have you never been to a doctor? Or been curious for that matter? Who doesn't know how tall they are?

Your doctor would be the accurate one. Who ever applied for your driver's license would have written whatever number is on that. Your family may not have the means to measure accurately. But I seriously cannot believe someone who says they don't know how tall they are. That's crazy. LOL.

Well I DID give an estimate! I said 5'5 or 5'6. (Doesn't height change during the day anyway?) That is to say that I'm not totally clueless. I'm not bouncing through feet here...
  • AprilRenewed
    AprilRenewed Posts: 691 Member
    Options

Yeah...I dont' get that.

I also don't know how you can eat enough one time time a day. I feel like I eat all day, every day, and sometimes I still don't have all my calories.

Eh...why do I bother with these types of threads?

I know some people have success with fasting and different forms of it. But...I don't understand how your metabolism can possibly be running at its highest efficiency when you're only eating once every 24 hours. You're not refueling. I don't think it matters if you are eating 1500 calories in one meal. That can't sustain you for 24 hours. Not healthfully anyway.
  • myIF
    Options

Yeah...I dont' get that.

I also don't know how you can eat enough one time time a day. I feel like I eat all day, every day, and sometimes I still don't have all my calories.

Like I mentioned, it's not for everyone. Just like eating frequently is not for everyone. "Calorically" speaking, it is simple to meet caloric needs for the day depending on the kind of food your eating and its amount. Most food, in its natural state, actually tend to be "calorically" dense.

But like I said, it's not for everyone.

And please disregard this whole irrelevant height thing...

Thanks for reading though :)
  • FuneralForMyFat
    Options
    I was very againsty this idea then today I watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfna7nV7WaM&feature=share and it has slightly changed my views, however I will probably not IF I think it can be beneficial for some especially after seeing all the awesome physical, mental results in this bbc documentary :)
  • Corsetopia
    Options
    OP, you are going to get a lot of hate posting a thread like this. Apparently every body is the same, every reaction to EVERY diet and food is the same, we are all lemmings and MUST do things the exact same way as everyone else. No matter HOW tall you are you MUST eat at least 1500 calories, because 1200 is not good enough, I mean you MUST be ravenous at 1200 calories a day, right?

People will be people; some are stubborn and ignorant. If it's working for you and you're getting the adequate nutrition/calories needed per day, it doesn't matter when you eat. Some people need to eat all day, some only once or twice.

Wait, hold on. That can't be true since we're all the SAME...apologies.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I didn't know how tall I was until I got measured in ROTC a couple of weeks ago. Was always just a guess LOL

Good for you OP! Glad you are eating more and found a lifestyle you love :D
  • no1canadianangel
    Options

Well I DID give an estimate! I said 5'5 or 5'6. (Doesn't height change during the day anyway?) That is to say that I'm not totally clueless. I'm not bouncing through feet here...

You seriously think height changes during the day??? Wow, how old are you?
  • myIF
    Options
    OP, you are going to get a lot of hate posting a thread like this. Apparently every body is the same, every reaction to EVERY diet and food is the same, we are all lemmings and MUST do things the exact same way as everyone else. No matter HOW tall you are you MUST eat at least 1500 calories, because 1200 is not good enough, I mean you MUST be ravenous at 1200 calories a day, right?

People will be people; some are stubborn and ignorant. If it's working for you and you're getting the adequate nutrition/calories needed per day, it doesn't matter when you eat. Some people need to eat all day, some only once or twice.

Wait, hold on. That can't be true since we're all the SAME...apologies.

haha, EXACTLY!

Through it all, I'm still psyched that I'm not the only girl out there having success with it. Binge-free living, is truly living.

Thanks ;)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Yeah...I dont' get that.

I know some people have success with fasting and different forms of it. But...I don't understand how your metabolism can possibly be running at its highest efficiency when you're only eating once every 24 hours. You're not refueling. I don't think it matters if you are eating 1500 calories in one meal. That can't sustain you for 24 hours. Not healthfully anyway.

Why can't it sustain you? Why would your metabolism slow down? Why wouldn't it be healthy?

People make these assumptions, but with nothing to back them up
  • Corsetopia
    Options

You seriously think height changes during the day??? Wow, how old are you?

Actually your height can change up to a couple centimeters from the morning to the evening...
    How old are YOU? Google. It's your friend.