Enlighten me please. How come people are closing

Options

Replies

• cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    On days I'm not as hungry I eat less, in case there are days where I am hungrier and eat more. By the end of the week it evens out.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Simply put especially after learning more about my body I eat when I'm hungry I don't when I'm not. Some days I fill up my calories other days its hard to eat enough to hit the 1200 mark even. I think some people love to eat more than others as well. I learned early on I actually don't love food as much as I thought I did, it is fuel and if the tank feels full I have no feeling of need to add more.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Ever since I heard that all those food labels we rely on were allowed to be off by up to 20% I decided it's better safe than sorry. Plus I don't weigh my food I just use measuring cups so I probably under estimate. Add those two thing together and when I eat exactly my goal and eat back my exercise calories...my results suffer. So I leave my self a little buffer. I probably am getting closer to my goal than it seems.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am in the it will all even out camp too. I dont generally worry about it. I also will put a note in the diary if it is way off and there is not a clear reason why (like eating out)
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am attempting to come within 75 calories of my NET without going over. I do this so that when something isn't measured or estimated correctly I don't stress it. Today I am 150 under but I'm done for the day as I'm really not hungry and it's quarter till 11

^^This

I want to get close, but I try my best not to go over. I try to enter my food as I eat it and keep my lunch and dinner to 300-400 calories. This way I know I'm not going over. If I see 800 calories to go at supper time, that means I can eat normally and be 200-300 calories under, or can allow myself a cookie. Either way.

I also use water. Hungry? Drink some water first. Wait 30 mins. Drink more water. Wait another 30 minutes. Still hungry? Eat. Spacing out my food like that also means I've eaten less by the end of the day.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Well there are about 7000 different reasons people could be closing their diaries while being below their calories...eating disorders...sick...stress...exercise...burned dinner...lunch sucked...dropped breakfast on the floor...no time...want me to go on? Not sure why you're so concerned about others diary. If you don't approve of their intake then delete them...easy peasy!
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I aim to be near but never above my goal, so that i lose at the rate I have set, or slightly faster.

But I also log my exercise, and the calculator generally overestimates calories burned. So I take that into account when I am considering eating more because I have burned some. I do aim to net my goal, but I consider that the extra calories allotted from workouts are too many extra calories, so I don't eat all of them.
    I do a good bit of rock climbing, and especially long-distance hiking. I know for certain that I don't burn an extra 3000 calories on an easy day hike. So whenever I do pretty much anything out in the mountains, my diary would show that I netted few or even negative calories. Rather than try to calculate to MFP's wonky numbers, I just assume I can use a few more calories on mountain days, but nowhere near what it estimates.
    Obviously you haven't been looking at my diary, but others may have similar reasons.

And, of course, I'm really working on learning to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry and not eat when I am not. So if I don't feel hungry on a day, I try to not keep eating even if I could have more calories.
  • laurenleighlugo
    Options
    It motivates me to see that I have a lot of remaining calories.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    If you feel satiated, why would you force yourself to eat more? if you're close, you'll be aiiiight. :smile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't know either. It happens a lot. I don't get why people don't simply adjust their numbers since they aren't following what MFP gives them. I see a lot of people with over 900 or more calories left over...without exercise. If someone wants to eat 1200 calories a day, that's fine but why have your diary saying you are supposed to be eating more than 2000 when you never do? I don't know whether to congratulate them or ask them whats wrong.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but If I'm not hungry, I'm not going to force myself to eat (which is why I'm here in the first place). I''m not using MFP #s but ones suggested to me by my MD & the RD I met with (which was anyplace from 1200-1500 calories) If I was using MFP stats, I'd never "eat enough" and would always be eating under their "goal"

I also am not 100% sure of the calorie etc counts of a lot of the food I'm eating (i.e if I eat outside the house), so I want to leave myself some extra calories just to cover what I might be incorrectly logging. I also am not eating back my exercise calories.

Everyone's situation is different. I have a sedentary job & am on medications for various health issues. I for one am not starving myself and more often than not, am closing my food diary eating under my goal which is 1400 calories. I could have easily picked 1200 and then I'd be on target when I closed the diary for the day.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    out their food diaries without eating all of their assigned calories?

I tend to see the same people doing this daily.

Wouldn't you want to eat as much as possible and still lose weight? Is that just my pipe dream?

I understand there may be days when you ran around like crazy and just didn't have the time to eat. I also know that there are days when you may be feeling under the weather at times.

Except for here and there my day usually ends with going over on calories.

Hi there I just peeked at your diary. You are not tracking the same macros I am. My macros are set to 40c/40p/20f plus fiber and sodium. In order to achieve those goals sometimes my calories get skewed.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My usual reason is that I ate as much as I felt that I needed to, and didn't want to eat just for the sake of eating.

I didn't just change the foods that I eat when I decided to lose weight. I chose to change the way I eat it, too. I used to snack during the day or pick my dinner long after I was full just for the sake of flavor. But I try to avoid that now. I only eat when I'm hungry, and when I'm not hungry anymore, I stop.

And if I have a day where I eat more fruits and veggies than anything else, I fill up on fewer calories.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    for me at the beginning it was a struggle to eat less, since i was hungry all the time, but now it is the opposite I struggle to eat all my calories. I have to force myself or i wont even get close.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Because it's REALLY difficult to get your "remaining calories" right on 0. (Well not really hard, but you have to get very pedantic with small bits of celery and single almonds :smile: And pretty meaningless anyway, as all the food and exercise we log is a estimate anyway).

My diary is almost always going to be under or over, sometimes by a lot, sometimes by a little.

And also I think because lots of people have the "must starve self to lose weight" mentality so they will deliberately try to eat less than MFP recommends, which just isn't necessary.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat Paleo/Primal and calories don't count, just carbohydrates and fats. If you look at my diary you will see that my carbohydrates are low, but my fats and protein are always overbudget. Calories don't count.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I exercise a ton, I just can't eat back all those calories. It's not because i don't want to, and it's not because I'm starving myself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'll speak for myself.
    MFP allotted me 1200.
    (before exercise)
    I don't like to consider my exercise as something I do so I can eat more.

I set MFP at 1600 EVERYDAY.
    I usually EAT 1600ish.
    Some days I burn 300
    some days 800
    some days none

I don't think of my body as something with a calorie counter that "resets" at midnight.
    I look at a week at a time.

So, sure, some days it looks like I have "calories left" according to how MFP does things.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I watch my diary like a hawk and log everything, drinks and supplements included. Now, I did have a rough patch recently where I didn't log hardly anything and the scale said I maintained so...? It was a few days and I was really not "feeling it". I posted as much for MFP to know that, Yes I am here but not making too much of an effort today.

If I'm that many calories under for the day I'll sit down with a good book and eat as many raw unsalted almonds as I want to. Usually I'm done by 1/2 cup and have made up for what calories I had been lacking. Other posters have said that it's just an estimate and it's true. We estimate the best we can and for us super busy moms (gotta plug the stay at home mommas of the world!) we just forget. Plain and simple. The cooking, cleaning, running errands, doing arts and crafts and the million other things we do in the day cause us to have selective memories about every single morsel of food we put into our mouths. I'm sometimes guilty of that too.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I dont really believe in eating back all those calories. I mean-- to lose weight, you should eat less and exercise more! I understand there are differences for everyone... but if I can eat 1200 cals and still burn off 400-800 per day without being hungry, AND it's working for me.... then why would I eat back? Plus, my main concern is that the calorie burner on here may not be accurate. There is a lot of room for error. Did I really walk at 3mph, or 3.5? Or both? Did I swim my laps in a vigorous pace, or moderate? Who knows? But if they calculate me at burning 600 and I really only burned 400... then I'd be eating back 200 extra calories.

So I dont eat back my cals... I eat when I'm hungry or need energy.