Unhealthy parents?

Options
I'm a teenager and losing weight while still living at home. My parents have a lot of control over dinner, but the rest of my meals are mine to make so I just choose healthy options for myself. But my mom intentionally brings home delicious, high calorie foods that I like, but just can't have at the rate she brings them. Her way of showing affection for her kids has always been to feed us, and I feel awful turning down what I know is her trying to be sweet and loving, especially because she always seems hurt when I do, so the fact that it's tempting food for me becomes the least of my problems.

Does anyone else living with their parents have similar issues? Other family members, roommates? How do you deal with it? I have the things I like as my calories allow and within moderation, but the amount of willpower needed is draining, and so is feeling guilty about being healthy for myself.

Replies

• RKO_Princess
    Options
    Awww, sweetheart. Kudos to you for sticking it out anyway!

You know I have a roommate that brings stuff in, and nothing I've said to him as gotten him to stop offering me crap. It sucks but what can you do? Other than talk to them and that's not guarenteed to work.
  • skinnyskittles
    Options
    as the above said you are doing awesome!

Get a picture of someone that is happy/healthy and similar to your body type(though you a still developing so can be a little difficult)
    Sit you're loving and caring Mother down and tell her

I'm not happy :(

say to her:

I dont want to be anyone but me- but if i was slimmer (like the HEALTHY pic) I would feel alot better about myself!
    Tell her how you're trying to do this: by eating healthy(with a small calorie deficit) and moderate exercise

AND

you would really love her support!

Goodluck chick- you are doing very well :)
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in the SAME position since I'm living with the parents until I finish college. Even though my father has diabetes, they all still eat the worst possible (but BEST tasting) foods out there! Really, the best advice I can give you is to just say NO and avoid the kitchen when they're eating that food you want. You have to put your goals as priorities and have the willpower to say no.

And I know I say it like it's easy. I know it isn't. Trust me. They were eating pizza tonight while I was cooking my broccoli on the stove. >.<
  • dkweathington
    dkweathington Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Never feel guilty!!! You are working for a better, healthier future. Just keep doing what ou are doing and let your mom know that you can have some things, but only in moderation!!
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    I'm kind of in the opposite situation...I'm a mom of 4. My son is overweight like me and my daughters are like my hubby...Skinny enought to eat whatever they want.
    I try to buy things that are healthy for everyone, but half the family can afford to eat the Doritos and cakes and cookies. That being said, they need to eat it in moderation too or they will end up overweight also.
    As a mom, if one of my kiddos came to me (they are younger than you 11, 7, 7 and 1) and asked me to stock up on vegies and healthy snacks I would jump at the chance.
    Maybe just talking to you mom would help. If she is really into feeding you and buying snacks that make you happy, go to the market with her and show her what you now like.
    The other thing is, that often times family and friends try to sabotage a dieter...IDK why but it happens.
    Keep up your healthy eating and it will rub off on her :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would ask her to start bringing some low calorie treats. :)
  • lifethatgrows
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

So far I've been able to develop the will power to just say NO, and I've tried talking to my mom about my diet. She gets very sensitive and often feels like I'm criticizing her rather than making choices with myself. Our whole family prone to be diabetic and I'm really determined not to make things harder for myself by being overweight. It's hard seeing my family continue to eat so poorly, but I know all I can do is help myself.
  • lifethatgrows
    Options
    Never feel guilty!!! You are working for a better, healthier future. Just keep doing what ou are doing and let your mom know that you can have some things, but only in moderation!!

This basically what I've decided to do. Just have the portions I can, and eventually she's bound to just get used to the fact that I eat a lot less of the things she makes than everyone else.
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My family eats out a lot. I just eat smaller portions and exercise more. My dad also lets me help him plan meals. However he does offer me fast food a lot and as of yet I don't have the will power to say no.
  • scarlettesong
    scarlettesong Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you offered your mom a "break" by making the meal one night a week, do you think she'd allow that? That way you can introduce them to some healthier foods, and hopefully she'll either enjoy the break or enjoy being with you in the kitchen.