Dude success story... :)

Options
I see a lot of success stories from the ladies. Here is one representing the guys!

Here is a picture of me last October at ~247 pounds.

6b4db5b1.jpg

January 6th, 2012 was the date I started my fitness journey. I was 247 pounds and just finished my holiday vacation. On that day I woke up and decided this is finally the day I do something about my health. At 247 pounds I had trouble with hip pain, high blood pressure, headaches, and low energy. I was always an active “fat guy” but that changed in the past year. I found myself declining invitations to do things with family and friends. I felt “too fat” to do anything physical.

I relieved stress by drinking beers at night and weekends, so that didn't help my stature. I also developed terrible eating habits. I frequented fast food establishments for all three meals. I estimate I ingested 3000 – 5000 calories a day. I took about 1200 milligrams of Ibuprofen a day to relieve my hip pain and headaches.

I realized I was in trouble. I laid awake nights thinking of strategies of how I could combat this problem. I also wondered when I was going to have the “big one” that would decide my fate for me. How messed up is that? A guy in his 30's wondering when the heart attack is coming. I had to change!

January 6th, I created an account n fitnesspal in the morning and starting tracking everything I ate that day. I remember texting my wife after lunch telling her what I was doing. At that moment everything changed for me. I came home from work and spent most evenings researching the best methods of healthy weight loss. I purchased a scale and measuring cups. I found foods at Wegmans (our local grocery chain) and SAMs that where better alternatives. I planned my my meals for the week. This way I can avoid the fast food restaurants.

Work was going to be difficult. I had the group of “lunch friends” that frequented local establishments and they shared in my love for food. I had to break that habit. Instead of going out to eat, I replaced it with walking buddies. We would walk 1 mile to start. We are up 3 miles for a lunch hour. I always bring a healthy lunch or walk to a local Wegmans to purchase a healthy lunch. So not was I only eating less calories at lunch bit I was burning them too! I bought a fitbit to track all my walking. This gadget is very motivating a big key to my success.

I decided after a week that I needed to do more exercise. I bought a treadmill 8 years ago. I probably put 10 miles on it in that time. I broke that baby out and decided this was going to be my new nightly routine. This was going to replace that beer or big bowl of ice-cream. The first two weeks on the treadmill I couldn't walk on the treadmill without holding onto the sides. I just remember thinking why did I do this to myself. It was the most humbling experience I ever experienced and I was alone! Over the next three months or more that treadmill and I logged hundreds of miles. I went from walking with assistance to running like a madman.

In the early summer I was watching TV. I saw an episode of Extreme Makeover – Weight-loss Edition. I saw a man who once weighed over 400 pounds compete in a triathlon. I thought to myself this would be a great to compete in a triathlon and this could keep me focused on fitness throughout the summer. I started swimming laps in the pool, going on 30 mile bike rides, and running. I use Endomondo track all these exercises. I competed in the Rochester Triathlon on August 25, 2012. I completed the triathlon in 1 hour and 42 minutes. My weight on that day was 175 pounds. That is a 72 pound loss. The best part of that day was having my wife, kids, family members, and friends cheering me on.

I lost 72 pounds and now at 15% body fat... I have a wife, three kids, and a high demanding job. I coach lacrosse and soccer teams. If I can do this and find the time, anyone can! This will be a lifelong journey for me. I will continue to use myfitnesspal, fitbit and Endomondo even though I am at my goal weight.

Here is me now...

d0f2f041.jpg

during the triathlon - 175 pounds

bb67872f.jpg

Me and my love!

Replies

• Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Great job!
  • BubbaLax
    BubbaLax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • jenbreeze72
    jenbreeze72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You have put so much hard work into this, and nothing speaks more than the smile on your face in that triathlon photo. Thanks for sharing your journey.
  • JoeD1968
    Options
    Great Job!!
  • KingChoco
    KingChoco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great Post
  • ReneeCK
    ReneeCK Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: So awesome! You look great! (And healthy!)
  • NorthWestWildWind
    Options
    I am so very impressed! You look great and so happy! I totally get it and am so glad to see that you do to. Kudos to you for doing what needed to be done.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look amazing! Congratulations!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love the story! You are an inspiration to us all and you look amazing!
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Great job.
  • Dustin_02
    Dustin_02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Very awesome Dude! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • mom2BandD
    mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success. You look so much healthier and so happy.

Keep on doing what you are doing. A healthy lifestyle is a good thing. :)
  • rahulkhosla
    rahulkhosla Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    inspirational stuff...i've been going up and down with ten pounds...its time for me to persevere like you have!
  • hollynono
    hollynono Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    you look amazing! Great job
  • FelicityEliza36
    FelicityEliza36 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

You look amazing. You must feel great. And your wife must be so proud of you! WTG!
  • zoe1945
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! You look fab. :wink:
  • toriann22
    toriann22 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! You are truly inspiring!! My Hubby and I have been on MFP but not really committed due to family vacations etc. We are back on track! Thanks so much for sharing your story!!!
  • BubbaLax
    BubbaLax Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Yes, I was very happy. Triathlons are a lot of fun. I am hooked. My goal is compete in 3 next season.
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow, well done that is a fantastic change you look so different.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your hard work and success!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!