If you only had 20 mins to exercise

Options
would you use it for cardio or strength training? For the record the main objective is weight loss . . .

Advice / opinions all welcome =)

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    combine them both into something like this :

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

or make up your own with a few stations where you do an exercise, jump rope then move to a different exercise. it's pretty intense but hey you gotta make those 20 minutes count
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I'd do HIIT!

a TON of burpees!
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    combine them both into something like this :

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/screw_cardio_four_complexes_for_a_shredded_physique

or make up your own with a few stations where you do an exercise, jump rope then move to a different exercise. it's pretty intense but hey you gotta make those 20 minutes count

thank you!!! have saved that link . . will have a good look later!
  • shrinking_me
    Options
    I'd do HIIT!

a TON of burpees!

mmmmmm, maybe I should give these a go lol . . .
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'd alternate - weight/strength training 3 days a week, cardio 2-3 days a week (mix of steady state and HIIT) and 1-2 rest days. If I had to give up any days, cardio would be the first to go - I'd keep the weight training.

Cardio burns calories and will help create the deficit, but it makes "you" into a smaller version of "you". Strength training helps burn fat and is what changes the way your body looks.
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    forestgump_620_080612.jpg
  • Sarah777uk
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or Ripped in 30. Best 20 mins (ish) of exercise ever :happy:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Cardio. I'll use any excuse to stay away from strength training.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells! Combines cardio and strength and 20 mins sessions are ideal!
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    I agree with the previous post: 30 Day Shred / Ripped in 30! It combines strength, cardio, and ab work in 20 minutes. Both of these are done in 30 days (per video) and the results are amazing!! All you need is hand weights and a mat, and you are ready to go! :)
  • midschool22
    midschool22 Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Cardio for me.
  • wazuki011
    Options
    would you use it for cardio or strength training? For the record the main objective is weight loss . . .

Advice / opinions all welcome =)

I'd use the time on a elliptical myself, from personal experience; It's one of the best for losing weight, it burns a fair bit of calories, and you're less likely to hurt yourself on it than most things. Though you could cut it to 15 minutes, and spend some time for a few crunches and reps.

Before I joined MFP, I lost over 100 pounds, pretty much solely alternating between the elliptical and biking.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    High intensity weight training, little to no rest in between exercise, and do jumping jacks or jump rope inbetween sets
  • shrinking_me
    Options
    forestgump_620_080612.jpg

LMAO!!!!!
  • shrinking_me
    Options
    I agree with the previous post: 30 Day Shred / Ripped in 30! It combines strength, cardio, and ab work in 20 minutes. Both of these are done in 30 days (per video) and the results are amazing!! All you need is hand weights and a mat, and you are ready to go! :)

have seen these mentioned in a lot of posts . . . will have to look into it I think!
  • shrinking_me
    Options
    I have a treadmill, hula hoop, kettlebell 6kgs, hand weights 3kgs and a swiss ball if that helps . . . .
  • RotterdamNL
    RotterdamNL Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    At this moment cardio but when i've dropped some i would go with weights.

Currently doing 2x 40 min workout a day, a tapout xt and a insanity.
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or Ripped in 30. Best 20 mins (ish) of exercise ever :happy:

This^^
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'd spend those 20 minutes in the squat rack. IMO, the most whole-body transforming exercise there is.
  • shrinking_me
    Options
    I'd spend those 20 minutes in the squat rack. IMO, the most whole-body transforming exercise there is.

I had to google what a squat rack was! Looks interesting, not sure how it works tho . .