too much protein?

Options
So, I am new to this whole thing of eating right/clean and exercising and watching my calories and stuff.... but my fitnesspal diary shows me i am eating too much protein..... now, I see a lot of people drinking protein shakes and eating protein bars and stuff.... so in the end...is it good or bad that i eat more than my daily goal of protein?? soo confused :/

Replies

• Thaispeiffer
    Options
    bump! anyone?
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • whiskeycharged
    whiskeycharged Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For me, the more protein the better. Since I train everyday, I adjusted my macro's to 40% carb, 40% protein, and 20% fat. I eat almost 1.5 x my weight in protein a day. Always drink a lot of water. :drinker:
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    it's fine, MFP recommendations for protein are the minimum.

there really needs to be a sticky on this.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Proteins good for you helps build muscle, don't worry about going over.
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Excess protein is excreted by the liver.

Here is the most 'user friendly' explaination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Protein is happy :) MFP sets the bar waaay too low!

Your body will be happy with it, you'll feel more satisfied because foods that contain protein are naturally more filling!

Eat up!
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    Definitely if you weight train it is good to have higher amounts of protein! Protein is what feeds the muscles so they can repair after training! I do, however, suggest that you measure your protein, and make sure that you are eating a serving (and not more) at EVERY meal! A complete meal should consist of Protein and good carbs. (veggies/fruit). Also, water is beneficial in digesting the protein and for losing weight. Protein Shakes are great! Protein helps fill you up so you aren't as full throughout the day. The more protein, the less the body should be hungry, and it will help lower your chances of overeating. Hope this was helpful!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Excess protein is excreted by the liver.

Here is the most 'user friendly' explaination:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_(nutrient)

In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high-protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis.

Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase.