salmon and rice recipe help!

Options
christynek
christynek Posts: 152 Member
Hi!

I am trying to make fish and brown rice but it is so bland!! Does anyone do this (Also with chicken) and what kind of sauce or spices do you use? I like when the rice is kind of sticking together so something saucy! Any suggestions would be great!

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    For salmon, I would bake with either lemon zest and garlic or with lemon zest and panko crumbs. I'm a white rice with soy person, but I'm sure that you could find a healthy fried rice recipe on the internet.

With chicken, I would slice up a chicken breast, stir fry with soy sauce, garlic, and mixed vegetables and serve on top of the rice. The leftover liquids from the cooking add flavor to the rice. This is also good with strips of beef.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I usually do some sort of pilaf with the rice. finely chopped celery, onions, bell pepper sauteed and added into the rice with Italian seasoning a touch of garlic. salmon I bake with lemon, parsley, a touch of onion. and a small bit of water or stock in the bottom of the pan. Adding the juices to the rice also gives it flavor. Roasted cherry tomatoes work well also.

For chicken, I lightly saute the chicken just until browned, then saute zucchini, onions, eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms ( any combo) until 5 minutes. Place the veges in a baking dish, top with the chicken, cover, and bake at 375 until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of 2% Italian shredded cheese and bake until cheese is melted and stringy (5 minutes or so) Served with brown rice and the juice from the chicken works well to flavor and stick together the rice.

I saute with cooking spray so the only added fat comes from the fish or the chicken.
  • aidsmith
    aidsmith Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Look on the internet for Escabeche sauce. It's delicious, healthy and low-calorie.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I like the Lawery marinade's. Or just for the salmon a little Wishbone Italian dressing. Let it marinade for 30 minutes and bakeit a 400 for 15 minutes, or until it flakes.
  • thepict51
    Options
    Thank you for the headsup about the Escabache Sauce. Sounds very tasy.

Bill