SPIN CLASS

Options
Has anyone done one before? and on average how many calories you burn for one of these classes

Replies

• wazzanz
    Options
    Yes have done them over the years. Great cardio and interval training. a lot depends on the instructor but you will do do 10x the workout you would on a stationary bike watching TV:)
  • wazzanz
    Options
    Never worn an HRM but as you control the resistance up to you. Would say between 400 and 550 in 45 mins. (Sadely same as a big mac)

Curious to see what people have found...
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    oh awesome thanks for letting me know I'm super excited to give it a try
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    The cals burned really depends on a lot of factors... length of the class, intensity, ect but I think as stated before 400-500 in a 45min window is a good estimate. Just take lots of water and a towel. I burn thru more then a liter every class and that's only about 45min. Try to arrive a little early so that the instructor can go over the class with you and get you set up on the bike before hand.
  • tuppence1984
    tuppence1984 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've done it...very very hard, but you can set the level to where you are at. suggest proper cycling shorts though. Ow!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks Danny :) class was awesome my legs n *kitten* are dead haha I'll be making it a regular spot each monday night :) although I'll need to change to a more comfortable seat
  • Chrisswa
    Options
    I burn around 350 to 450 calories doing RPM. I have been doing for over a year now and do 3 classes a week. I find it hard now to get the calories up so am going to drop a couple of the classes and do something different. I have a Polar FT7 HRM
  • lmgc1985
    Options
    I do this twice a week, Best workout ive ever done. I used to be in the Royal Navy so thats saying something. As for cals burnt, it depends on your weight, A larger person like myself will burn more than a slimmer person, but either way, you will know you done it!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    8-10 calls per min. 100 if you really push yourself x
  • santa_nethy
    Options
    I've really got into spinning, and bought a heart rate monitor a couple of weeks ago.

It depends on the instructor and the type of class they do, but having monitored the classes I have burned up to 542 calories in one 45 minute class. That was with lots of intervals (sprint, slower, climb, sprint etc). Other classes 350 - 450 but I'm finding that my fitness is increasing and my heart rate stays elevated for longer (i.e. endurance) and comes down quicker during recovery.

Can't recommend it enough, am doing it 2-3 times a week and I'm losing centimetres.

Good luck and hope you enjoy. Don't give up after your 1st class. The feeling at the end of it will be immense and totally worth it!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    I've a heart rate monitor on when I do spin and I burn in a 45mins class about 500 cals, more often it's 550. Again depends on instructor and your effort on the day.
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I loooooove spinning! I did an hour yesterday with some strength exercises for 15 minutes afterwards and burned 667 calories - so my HRM said!
    It's great cardio and great for your legs!
    Enjoy it! :bigsmile:
  • fordies
    Options
    I have always wanted to try a spin but never got round to putting my name down for the class and just kept using the gym, however after reading this thread I will have to give it a go soon.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love spinning! i spin twice a week, and depends on what we do that class, with a hrm can burn anywhere from 400-550. Since i have been doing it for a while i have to push myself harder to burn more of course. good luck!
  • AFTERMATH77
    AFTERMATH77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The real benefit to spin classes is the intervals. High Intensity Interval Training will not only burn calories during the workout but can keep you body metabolic AFTER. Make sure you dial up the resistance when the instructor says to - this is not to make you miserable, it is to maximize your results from the class.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Ok, my numbers are way out compared to what everyone here is reporting. I run at 80-100 RPM for 90 minutes, and I wear both a fitbit and an HRM. Both report that I have burned over 2000 calories in 90 minutes. I questioned this as it seemed excessive, but going online and checking exercise calories per hour charts, the numbers matched multiple sites. I'm 6"1',and unfortunately I guess I had a better summer than I thought and am back up to 228 pounds, going the wrong way, time to get back on track, but those are my numbers. Any thoughts????? Am I missing something here?

Edit: after, ummmm, you know what, I'm closer to 227, ahem, don't you judge me...lol... I'll take any advantage I can
  • santa_nethy
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are the most accurate way of recording calorie loss aren't they - so it must be right?

If you're at 80-100rpm perhaps you spend more time in the aerobic or fat burning zone rather than anaerobic and v02 - perhaps that is why you burn so many calories, staying in those zones for 90minutes (that's a long time)? I guess those zones mean you're concentrating on weight loss (i.e high calorie burn) rather than overall fitness. I dont know, I'm kind of writing this down as I think. I'm new to all of this but slowly learning!

Is that a class with an instructor or do you just jump on the bike for 90mins?
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are the most accurate way of recording calorie loss aren't they - so it must be right?

If you're at 80-100rpm perhaps you spend more time in the aerobic or fat burning zone rather than anaerobic and v02 - perhaps that is why you burn so many calories, staying in those zones for 90minutes (that's a long time)? I guess those zones mean you're concentrating on weight loss (i.e high calorie burn) rather than overall fitness. I dont know, I'm kind of writing this down as I think. I'm new to all of this but slowly learning!

Is that a class with an instructor or do you just jump on the bike for 90mins?

That's me, my bike, and ride DVDs