How was it possible? Losing 117lbs in 110 days.

Options
I know the more you weigh the faster you'll lose weight at the start, but I recently watched an American programme called "I used to be fat" and he lost 117lbs in 110 days, is that safe or healthy? Also in the first week he lost 15lbs which must of been masses of water weight but still it seems to good to be true.

Replies

• AdrianneAleece20
    Options
    Omg how jealous, tbh I've been at every spectrum of the scale and I can honestly say at my biggest when I started loosing it was 3-4 pounds a day and that did slow down but at the start it literally dropped off, when I saw the momentum of weight loss slow down I amped it up smashing it everyday, I had to keep it up I had no treats no nothing I kept focused and their is no room for cheating of even slip ups I just keep working and working until I get where I want
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I know the more you weigh the faster you'll lose weight at the start, but I recently watched an American programme called "I used to be fat" and he lost 117lbs in 110 days, is that safe or healthy? Also in the first week he lost 15lbs which must of been masses of water weight but still it seems to good to be true.

The media will tend to sensationalize weight loss and it's a very unfortunate and misleading practice, but that's what brings in viewers.

If you watched a program where people ate healthy, exercised moderately, and slowly lost weight without any drama or emotional hooks, nobody would give a fook and it would fail as a program.

But show people puking in garbage cans, losing weight at dangerous rates and all the tears that go along with it, and you've got a recipe to draw people in. The sad part is that it also feeds the general public full of NONSENSE.

My suggestion to you is to disregard this entirely. It's not safe and not healthy and most of all, not anything applicable or desirable for YOU.
  • VickyJo68
    VickyJo68 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know that men's metabolisms work quicker - so 15lbs is possible in the first week especially for someone with a heck of a lot to lose. I imagine thought they probably will have to have surgery with such and extreme weight loss because don't they say 2lb a week is reasonable. I expect he was made to exercise to within an inch of his life - so I suspect there may be an element of a struggle to maintain the weight long term.

Vicky
  • madeleinedun11
    Options
    I've seen this programme and was also inspired and yet confused!
    I have to say after looking in to it - these people are bigger, yes but also have a lot of liquid meals and work out with their personal trainers for like 8 hours a day.

It's a lot like the biggest loser in that respect and isn't maintainable really. Slow and steady wins the race! :) xx
  • Stuz359
    Options
    If you can work out for 6 hours a day and limit your calorie intake to 1200 calories, you can do it too. In the real world that is not sustainable, nor I think desirable. Your skin needs time to adjust to your weight loss, losing that much in that short a time you will probably end up looking disgusting.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would guess that this is similar to biggest loser, workout several hours a day and watch calorie intake and you will lose a lot of weight. Add on top of that having a lot to lose also helps.

I will agree that media sensationalism is quite annoying, I remember a MSN video of a family that lost like 300 or 400 lbs. I watched it assuming that they turned into fitness buffs only to find they ALL had Lap band. I have nothing against WLS, except I think it gets overused, and it is still a useful tool, but one of these people only needed to lose 50 lbs, ridiculous.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Very likely that person was 400 or 500 pounds to start and it would be possible for that kind of weight to come off at the beginning. However, for most of us, it wouldn't be possible or safe. So, forget about it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've lost 1-2 LBS a day for a few weeks, when i first started, but i can't imagine keeping that intensity for a whole year. It is possible, though, i believe that especially if you had a lot to lose. I lost 60 LBS in about 60 days. When your body gets that big, it is just ACHING to get rid of the weight, as soon as you create the right conditions.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Mr AB the fasting Scotsman lost under a pound a day " Eventually, during the course of 382 days without food, he lost 276 pounds. Five years after the fast, he had only gained back 16. " but I guess he lost it quicker at the beginning and slower at the end so an initial rate over 1 lb/day is possible.
  • elitemind1
    Options
    dont listen to this people and this site because if you workout everyday for at least 45 minute of hard cardio and lift weights you will lose more than 2 pounds per week and it wont be water you will be losing fat my professor for physical training class said its healthy losing a lot of weight unless you are under weight then is not healthy i workout 7 times a week for 3 hours cardio and weight i used to weight 360 now i weight 290 i lost 5.5 pounds per week in 3 months i feel great healthy and still i have fat but no lose skin and ima keep losing more the thing about weight is the bigger you are the faster it is and the smaller you are is slower because you dont wanna be underweight is vary unhealthy and also if you young lets say 15-29 is faster to lose weight regardless and gain muscle so just workout as many times as you can and lose as much weight as you can and dont listen to tis site because they expect you only to lose 2 pounds per week and that is for people that workout 2 times per week or maybe for older people and skinny people but it all depends on you and hard work
  • jcolier
    Options
    dont listen to this people and this site because if you workout everyday for at least 45 minute of hard cardio and lift weights you will lose more than 2 pounds per week and it wont be water you will be losing fat my professor for physical training class said its healthy losing a lot of weight unless you are under weight then is not healthy i workout 7 times a week for 3 hours cardio and weight i used to weight 360 now i weight 290 i lost 5.5 pounds per week in 3 months i feel great healthy and still i have fat but no lose skin and ima keep losing more the thing about weight is the bigger you are the faster it is and the smaller you are is slower because you dont wanna be underweight is vary unhealthy and also if you young lets say 15-29 is faster to lose weight regardless and gain muscle so just workout as many times as you can and lose as much weight as you can and dont listen to tis site because they expect you only to lose 2 pounds per week and that is for people that workout 2 times per week or maybe for older people and skinny people but it all depends on you and hard work

I read that entire sentence without taking a breath.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I read that entire sentence without taking a breath.

Lol!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: