P90X: Not getting enough calories?

Options
I'm doing P90X and I just started a few days ago. I read the diet plan many times and for the program my nutrition level is 2,400calories/day. I am in phase 1 which calls for a diet of moster protein and vegetables, with 1 serving of dairy, carbs and fruits.

My problem is that I don't think I've been getting enough calories the last few days since starting. It's very hard to rack up 2,400 calories a day with veges and LEAN meats. I'm not bonking yet, but it might happen soon. Are there any ideas for great snacks I can use that ARNT carrots that can help fill the last 700 - 800 cals?

I spend at least 3 hrs in class everyday so it tends to disturb meals sometimes. Monday's I'm in class for 6 hours.

Does anybody doing P90X or otherwise have any advise for me? I think I've been getting about 1,400-1,600 calories/day.

Replies

• khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I did P90x last year and I was the same way. There was no way I was going to eat 2200 cals. I think I ended up taking in about 1800. I wouldn't go below 1600 if possible. Just my opinion...:)
  • hellfire45
    Options
    There must be a way to do it. It's already busting my pockets with all these fresh veges and meats. EXPENSIVE...

I really need advice on the nutrition. I'm using the P90X recipes, but its still not getting me to the total.
  • shelloli
    Options
    I have attempted P90X a few times, but now I am doing ChaLEAN Extreme. I run into the same problem still. Honestly, I just try to eat high protien, lean foods, and healthy carbs. Keep it simple. I try to stay around 1600-1800 calories.

It was really hard for me to intake enough on P90X, but if you don't you will bonk. Maybe you can try to increase your carb intake and add some fruit. I don't think it will sabotage your workout as long as you are within reason. I know that on a thread that I was following for a while ladies were eating turkey burgers as "snacks" to increase energy and caloric intake.

Not much help, I know but I am right there with you!
  • hellfire45
    Options
    I've been hearing people recommend almonds. and trail mix.

I need like 4, 200 calorie snacks a day. Any suggestions?
  • punkinator719
    Options
    Are you supplementing your nutrition with any protein shakes or protein bars? I found the only way to get enough protein and calories in was to add a few protein shakes throughout the day. I use American Sports Nutrition whey protein. It has a good protein/carb/fat ratio.
  • hellfire45
    Options
    I do drink shakes, but I am looking for foods I can take out of my home without needing a blender.
  • OHIOinME
    Options
    If I remember correctly, the diet plan recommends that you should adjust to your body and level of energy. The reason it starts you off with low carb is to starting attacking your fat fuel supply and get the starch and sugar cravings that many people don't realize they have. You should also be using the protein bars and protein shakes. There is no way a normal person can afford and consume enough appropriate lean nutritious fuel without the meal replacement shakes. The high protein meal replacement/recovery drinks has the calories and nutrition needed, you should consider buying them. You may also want to look into the amount of water you drink and consider taking multi-vitamins, though be careful the too much vitamins. If I overdue the vitamins I get tired and end up actually getting sick. Remember you can adjust your food level as needed. If you start Bonking then you are deteriorating your body and could result in injury. Remember, P90x isn't a 3mile run, if done correctly it is a very taxing but an effecting program to get is better shape.
    Hope this helps.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do drink shakes, but I am looking for foods I can take out of my home without needing a blender.

Protein shakes don't need a blender, you can put it in a shaker, add the powder and water and take it to school with you. Super easy.
  • Casi23
    Casi23 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs!! I boil about a dozen in the begining of my week and take two to work everyday - don't eat the yolks though - at least not all the time.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I am new to p90x...on my 3rd day. I CAN NOT consume 2400 calories in a day. My norm is 1200-1500...but I have never been real hard core working out. I would go to the gym a few days a wk and do cardio and light weights. SO I am struggling with eating this much food! I feel like I am over eating!! I am not a vegetable or big meat eater either so I am struggling getting this food in my gut...LOL! I am adding 2 protein bars/shakes a day to add to it. I love hardboiled eggs tho, so I think I will try adding that and some almonds also!

anyone have any suggestions for my after workout snack, since I do not have the recovery drink yet....
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs
    nuts/seeds
    protein bars(you can make your own)
    string cheese
    fruit
    peanut butter sandwich
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    A couple shakes between meals is such a great idea. I put 2 scoops in little ziplock baggies and take them to work. You can always get water and just mix yourself up a shake to keep your metabolism humming right along.

Check out this stuff. I just tasted it - it's alright, not super good, but it's super great stats. 0 carb, 0 fat and 23g protein in only 90 calories! Quite a win!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/nectar.html

Also - it came to me in one day from ordering it. Pretty awesome.