Newbie here! 50lbs to lose before April.. Possible?

Options
As the title says, I really want to lose 50lbs, if not more, before the start of April 2013. Why? My 21st birthday is the 16th of that month, and I'd love nothing more to be healthy and slim for it! (I'm currently 197lbs)

Has anyone on here lost 50lbs or more in 7 months? If so, what was the most effective method for you? I've just purchased some Dumbbells because I'm thinking of trying the 30 Day Shred, and I hope to take up biking, along with cardio and weights :smile:

If you have any tips feel free to post, I'd love to know how you're all getting on :happy: x

Replies

• xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Wow... No replies at all? :(
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I eat right count all calories & get you workouts in the first few lbs will water weight but you'll still b losing.You'll do great. may add if you like
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's possible. You have about 29 weeks, so that's a tad less than two pounds per week.
  • Alicemarieed
    Alicemarieed Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Exersise hard eat your calories and get plenty of sleep.it is possible but don't give up if one week you done lose. Keep the faith and it will come off :-)
  • dglynch222
    Options
    Losing 50 lbs in seven months is definitely doable! I've lost 15 lbs in the past two months by carefully weighing, measuring, and recording my food intake on this site every day. Exercise is healthy and good, but I find that for me food control is the most important thing.

Since you have a target end date and not a lot of slack, you'll need to be especially diligent. If you're prepared to use this site every day, and not have any "cheat days" or other lapses, I am sure you can do it. Good luck!
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible! Check out the success stories in the forums when you need a little motivation to keep going. :) Good luck! Kick butt!
  • Alicemarieed
    Alicemarieed Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As the title says, I really want to lose 50lbs, if not more, before the start of April 2013. Why? My 21st birthday is the 16th of that month, and I'd love nothing more to be healthy and slim for it! (I'm currently 197lbs)

Has anyone on here lost 50lbs or more in 7 months? If so, what was the most effective method for you? I've just purchased some Dumbbells because I'm thinking of trying the 30 Day Shred, and I hope to take up biking, along with cardio and weights :smile:

If you have any tips feel free to post, I'd love to know how you're all getting on :happy: x

Have a look ate the post 86lbs down in 7months
  • VinoFonseca
    VinoFonseca Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I found that weight training REALLY helps. The stronger your muscles, the more efficient your body and your calorie burn. Must admit that I have 30 day shred sitting on top of my tv. Haven't watched yet :( GUILT . . . .

But seriously, a combination of reduced calories (don't go below 1200), weight training (3x/week), and cardio should easily allow you to shed the 50 by April.

Since your legs are your biggest muscles, really work to get them strong. Of course, you can't forget your core and the back/chest/shoulders.

Friend me if you want to chat more.

Good luck :)
  • tenaheff
    Options
    It sounds possible, but will be a challenge. It requires you to lose almost 2 pounds a week. You can do it, but even if you only manage 30 or 40 by April, you will be well on your way to your ultimate goal of 50. Soooo, just begin today and see how you do.

Tena
  • TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hello,

1. Keep track of the food you eat. Sounds easy but most people underestimate their calories by 50%.

2. Don't skip meals. The reason for this is simple, when you skip a meal you are hungrier longer. This will trigger something in your brain that will draw you to high calorie foods (cravings). If you can eat at regular intervals, that will help.

3. Low fat dairy that is high in calcium actually traps fat and keeps it from absorbing into your system. In other words you poop it out.

4. Protein and Fiber will keep you full longer and it has the added benefit of retaining or gaining some muscle.

5. Exercise has the added benefit of after-burn. When you exercise you deplete your fat stores, not many but enough that in the next 22 hours they will have to be replenished and thats where the weight loss comes in.

6. Any exercise is good for you. Take the stairs, park away from the building, walk to the corner grocery store, take a bike ride. Everything doesn't have to be an all out exercise attack. Anything you can do will help.
  • jojospaghettio
    jojospaghettio Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I've been moving slowly and lost 25 lbs in 8 months, but if you are dedicated the entire time, I'm sure you can lose more. I was right at your current weight (and height at 5'6") when I started. Exercise to get that metabolism burning, and count those calories to help you make wiser food choices. At first it may seem hard, but after a while, it becomes second nature. Good luck to you!

Oh, and I also did the 30-Day Shred, and it is a great starting workout. Jillian will kick your butt, but you will definitely start seeing results quickly.
  • astronomer25
    Options
    I would think that you have several diet choices (Low fat/low calorie, Low carb/low calorie, Zone Diet, High Fat/low carb, High Fat/high protein, Very Low Calorie diet, etc.). I am doing the Nutritional Ketosis Diet (no cheating).

Realistically, it probably took you more than 6 months to put on the weight, so it should take you more than 6 months to take off the weight. A realistic goal including weight loss plateaus would probably be in the 20-30 pound range. It depends on how committed you are to whichever diet you follow, the actual diet (some diets make you hungrier), and if you actually cheat.

This is one guys interpretation of the Nutritional Ketosis Diet that I am following, it's not the best, but it is easy to understand.
    http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/jimmy-moores-n1-experiments-nutritional-ketosis-day-1-30/14409

On my diet, I don't count calories I only count carbs. I actually keep my carbs below 30 grams a day total (not subtracting fiber) and I only eat when I am hungry (Usually 2 meals and 2-3 snacks a day). My daily caloric intake has ranged from 1400kcal to 2400kcal. I need to keep it above 2000kcal or I lose lean muscle.

I have been on the diet for 2 weeks and I have lost 16.8 pounds of fat (according to the scale), and 2.3 pounds of lean muscle (according to my scale). I don't count calories I was on vacation, so the only physical activity I did was walk 5 miles on the beach one day.

In 2 more weeks I will retest all my lipid counts to see if the diet is working in the first four weeks, then I will retest at 8 and 12 weeks, to see if any more changes occur.
  • SHERRYnGA
    SHERRYnGA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    YES it is possible! First & Foremost - gotta get your MINDSET right & make small goals.... set it up for 10lbs at a time... setting BIG Goals is almost defeating yourself before you start! I lost 100 lbs in the first 2 years doing "The South Beach Diet"... very strict, it becomes a lifestyle... not diet! KEEP A JOURNAL & Track your intake & exercise... It's great to look back on.... Take pics for your Journey so that YOU can INSPIRE others when YOU meet your goal!!! :)

Sherry
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! I'm incredibly determined to reach my goal, and honestly can't wait to take those 'before and after' pictures :happy: I'm glad I found this website, not only is it helpful, but everyone on here is very supportive, it really helps! :flowerforyou:

Thanks again, and good luck everyone! x
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It is possible, in 2006 I lost 57lb from Sept to April [also my birthday month] went from 15st 9 to 11st 8

I actually overdid it but the weight kept falling off me. I was not using MFP or counting calories, just cut out carbs like bread, spuds, no fried stuff as well, so probably not the healthiest method but was under doctor's orders to get weight off for heart

I have over 4 st to lose and like you hope to be down to my goal weight of around 12 1/2 stone [175lbs] by early April, I am at 16st 5 [229] at present

PS, from one end of scale to another, your 21st and my 70th, both in April 2013. Hope to see us both a lot slimmer by then
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've lost amost that much in almost as long! You'll need to keep focussed on your long-term goal & not get waylaid by Christmas, New Year, other people's birthdays etc. But 50lbs in 29 weeks is definitely doable.
    And if you're almost at target you'll look much better in your birthday outfit than if you don't make any effort at all! Go for it!