Iron?

Options
I need ideas to get more Iron, I think Spinach is good. Any other ideas?

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Red meat, it's the bomb!!!

Beans, tofu, cereals fortified with iron, various seeds.
  • shonaoutridge
    shonaoutridge Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Multigrain cheerios
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Try to combine an iron rich food with one that's high in vitamin C. You could have a spinach salad with strawberries or mandarin oranges. The vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron more easily.:smile:
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mini Wheats are loaded with iron (plus sugar) - if you are in the US it's about 90% of your iron needs (Canada is 50%)
  • frugaltrophywife
    Options
    flinstone vitamins!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    clams, oysters, beef, spinach, soy and other various beans are all good sources. Keep in mind vitamin C should be consumed with the meal in some form to maximize iron absorption. For instance, bell pepper in your steak and spinach salad.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have heard a cast iron teapot helps, but i'm not sure if that's just someone taking the pi ss out of me. I'd be interested if anyone knows if this is true as they are around £30-£50 and I don't want to waste my money - I don't get enough either and I eat plenty of red meat and greens.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Mini Wheats are loaded with iron (plus sugar) - if you are in the US it's about 90% of your iron needs (Canada is 50%)

Yep, and it's a very tasty way to get that iron too! I need to buy another box of Mini-Wheats.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Try to combine an iron rich food with one that's high in vitamin C. You could have a spinach salad with strawberries or mandarin oranges. The vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron more easily.:smile:

^ Thank you for this tip. :flowerforyou:
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I love Beef, Its just so high in calories. Mini wheats, great idea. Thanks for all of the other ideas too. I didn't know I should have Vitamin C as well. That might help alot. Thanks, any other ideas are welcome.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of good ideas in here, many of which have been advised my my doctor. Vit C, cast iron pans, frosted mini wheats shelled soybeans, any organ meats you can stand to eat, (liver is chocked full of iron). Red meat and dark leafy green vegetables.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I hate that I have to eat a sugary cereal to pretty much meet my iron intake. I eat spinach a lot but it's not nearly enough to meet my daily iron. I can't imagine that the iron in cereal would absorb that well.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I hate that I have to eat a sugary cereal to pretty much meet my iron intake. I eat spinach a lot but it's not nearly enough to meet my daily iron. I can't imagine that the iron in cereal would absorb that well.

Not sure about the absorption, but I just remembered that (if you have a TJ's in your neck of the woods) Trader Joe's High Fiber cereal has 45% iron with 5 grams of sugar. It's also quite low-cal.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Duck eggs are another good source, mussels, and also apricots, if I recall correctly.
  • chubtofit
    chubtofit Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Yep, and it's a very tasty way to get that iron too! I need to buy another box of Mini-Wheats.

Just don't add milk - it really reduces the iron absorption rate - I used to grab a handful to snack on but now I'm looking for better choices (and I'm going gluten-free and I'm pretty sure mini-"wheats" have gluten haha.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Doms but I live on base in a foreign country. None of those specialty stores exist here.
  • fankyskag
    fankyskag Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've also been wondering about this as I've been diagnosed with anaemia in the past, and noticed by iron intake was very low according to MFP. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Who knew Canadians needed more iron than Americans? :laugh: (joke!)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Well the cereal maker added it as a supplement so you can just take a supplement and cut out the middle man !
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat a sugary cereal - Cream of Wheat hot cereal is very high in iron.

I always have to bump up my iron before donating blood, so I eat Cream of Wheat 3 or 4 times during the week before I go in - my levels are well above the blood bank's requirements every time.

Here's a good list of iron rich foods: http://www.donateblood.org/IronRichFoods.htm