Insulin resistance?

Options
I have been reading a bit on the threads where people have trouble losing weight because of insulin resistance. I think they were saying the liver produces too much because of a malfunction of some sort in your body? there was a name for it..How do you inow if you have it and is there a natural way to ease the symptoms?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Insulin Resistance means your body does'nt respond correctly to the insulin it generates, so for example you might keep making glucose in the liver or releasing fat from fatty tissue when you didn't need it. Usually this results in elevated blood sugar (diabetes type symptoms) but I would guess that the presence of high insulin is the key diagnostic.

Less carbs would help, as that's less load on the systems insulin is meant to regulate.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen10.htm
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's the pancreas, not the liver, and it is typically diabetes type 2.
    Go see a doc and get blood work done, then you will know.
    Lowering insulin resistance naturally?

Yes, eat healthy, lose weight and work out.

I was just recently diagnosed with it, and I was able to get it under control within a short amount of time (at least for now) with nutrition and exercise.

Insulin resistance is very often caused by being overweight, not the other way round.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/712957-can-someone-tell-me-more-about-insulin-resistance?hl=insulin+resistance&page=2#posts-10481841

Low carb( low GI), high protein diets tend to help, it does mean that it will take more work to lose but it is not impossible.

Find your BMR -don't eat below this, find your TDEE - eat less than that. If your BMI is in the obese range you can take a 30% cut from you TDEE, you are in the over weight range then try 20%.

The link below will show you have to find your numbers. since you exercise is built in to this method yo get a daily target and don't have to chase after exercise calories. Just remember to reevaluate you numbers for every 10lbs lost. Feel free to PM me if you need help working through the calculations.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    It's the pancreas, not the liver, and it is typically diabetes type 2.
    Go see a doc and get blood work done, then you will know.
    Lowering insulin resistance naturally?

Yes, eat healthy, lose weight and work out.

I was just recently diagnosed with it, and I was able to get it under control within a short amount of time (at least for now) with nutrition and exercise.

Insulin resistance is very often caused by being overweight, not the other way round

Yes doing that now. It seems to take alot longer than in the past, but am doing it.. There was a name for the disorder .Its if you fasted and the next day your insulin would still be high and act as if you had eaten a lot of sugar, and didn't., hence it gave you like brain fog, depression etc because of it.. Thanks for your reply!!
  • K8w83
    K8w83 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, Insulin resistance is a form of type 2 diabetes. Basically your pancreas produces enough insulin, but it doesn't work correctly meaning that it doesn't take enough/any of the glucose out of your blood. The other form of type 2 diabetes is where your pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin.

Insulin resistance can be caused by or made worse if you are overweight, but what a lot of people don't realise is that for a lot of diabetics is it much harder to lose weight. I have type 1 diabetes and have to keep my calories to around 1500 a day just to maintain, let alone lose weight.

If you have any diabetes symptoms and/or a family history it might be worth getting a blood test to check it out.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I have been reading a bit on the threads where people have trouble losing weight because of insulin resistance. I think they were saying the liver produces too much because of a malfunction of some sort in your body? there was a name for it..How do you inow if you have it and is there a natural way to ease the symptoms?

you DO need to get blood tests to diagnose insulin resistance. If you have it, the doctor will probably suggest a low carb diet ( mine suggested 50g a day) and might prescribe medication. The first time I had IR, I was asked to cut down to 50g net per day as a trial for 2 months. IN that 2 months I lost 15-20lbs, made my IR undetectable AND got pregnant.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Find a copy of The Insulin Resistance Diet by Cheryl Hart. http://www.amazon.com/Insulin-Resistance-Diet--Revised-Updated-Fat-Making-Machine/dp/0071499849/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346679268&sr=1-1&keywords=insulin+resistant+diet

Good info on balancing carbs with protein. I'm not diabetic, but both my mom and dad are, and I'm keeping a close eye on my carbs & protein (also fiber).
  • SanjiSun
    Options
    Personally, I'm not controlling carbs as much (though currently I'm doing lower carb until I reached my goal weight), but what kind of carbs and what their glycaemic index is. The higher the glycaemic index is, the higher the blood glucose spike is.
    I don't follow that religiously, but it's also quite easy. Just go with whole grain, veggies and you're good.
    At least it works for me :)
  • SanjiSun
    Options
    Insulin resistance can be caused by or made worse if you are overweight, but what a lot of people don't realise is that for a lot of diabetics is it much harder to lose weight. I have type 1 diabetes and have to keep my calories to around 1500 a day just to maintain, let alone lose weight.

True, but I think it's more so if you are insulin dependent. I could be of course very wrong here :)
  • EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think I'm insulin resistant. Got an appointment with the doctor on Friday to find out.

I've been really tired in the afternoon for some time now, and have cut right back on sugar the last couple of weeks & feel loads better.
  • lkcuts
    Options
    Hi, Insulin resistance is a form of type 2 diabetes. Basically your pancreas produces enough insulin, but it doesn't work correctly meaning that it doesn't take enough/any of the glucose out of your blood. The other form of type 2 diabetes is where your pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin.

If you have any diabetes symptoms and/or a family history it might be worth getting a blood test to check it out.

Yes I have and they asked me if I had been fasting.. I said no..no more was said about itor the reason they asked me. But now that i think back (last year) something must have been going on and wish I would have asked more questions. How ever i do know, that when I eat more carbs, (Whole wheat breads,pasta, etc that i feel bloated and get more tired then crave them and sugar) when I stay on the veggie meat type diet I feel more balanced. that being said it made me think this was the problem. Thanks SOO much for your help!!
  • lkcuts
    Options
    http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/712957-can-someone-tell-me-more-about-insulin-resistance?hl=insulin+resistance&page=2#posts-10481841

Low carb( low GI), high protein diets tend to help, it does mean that it will take more work to lose but it is not impossible.

Find your BMR -don't eat below this, find your TDEE - eat less than that. If your BMI is in the obese range you can take a 30% cut from you TDEE, you are in the over weight range then try 20%.

The link below will show you have to find your numbers. since you exercise is built in to this method yo get a daily target and don't have to chase after exercise calories. Just remember to reevaluate you numbers for every 10lbs lost. Feel free to PM me if you need help working through the calculations.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thanks do much for this and the link it is most helpful I do believe I am better on the Lower carbs and more protein. I also have started taking a hormone balance med, along with minerals,zinc and a good multi vitamin. all in all this really helped answer some questions thanks!
  • lkcuts
    Options
    Thanks to all the posted inputs!! They have really helped. I am so glad we have a support system like this! Bless you all!!
  • hina2584
    hina2584 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi , you asked about insulin resistance it is production of insulin normally by pancreas but due to certain factors it is not working on its substrate that is glucose,main culprit being overweight,hence glucose increases in our bloodstream ,the condition is known as diabetes.diabetes is one of lifestyle disease(not autoimmune type),you can prevent it by eating right kind of food and exercise.
  • LadyHappyfish
    LadyHappyfish Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have PCOs that makes me insulin resistant. As always your first step should be the doctor PCO indicators show up on a blood test but only via a personal scan can it be proved. So please don't fool yourself a simple blood test will answer the question quickly. And lower fat ratio works better for me.

If you have doubts please see a doctor guess work leads to stress, and stress leads to low weight loss and more doubt.

2c