Swim, Bike, Run and Post. MFP Triathletes.

Options
I think it's about time there be a community on MFP for those of us crazy enough to have fallen in love with the sport of Triathlon. A place to share training tips, equipment reviews, Race stories and general motivation and support. It's the motivation and support part that made me deciede to post this under motivation and support as opposed to fitness and excercise as I know I could use some motivation to get up at 4am and get my pool laps in before work.

My name is Andrew and in the last year on MFP I have lost 125 lbs and changed my life completely. During that time I started running and from the momment I crossed the finish line in my first 5k I knew that I loved the challenge and feeling of accomplishment that comes from continually improving yourself. I eventually started cycling and found the freedom amazing. I raced my first Duathlon this past summer (Run 2 miles, bike 16 miles then run 3.2). It was the most amazing experience of my life and I knew that I wanted more. Triathlon is the sensable next step for me and I am working on my swimming in the off season and plan to complete a sprint distance tri in the spring. A sprint in the summer and an olympic in the fall. I am on a 3 year training plan to complete an Iron Man and after losing 125 lbs and conquering numerous demons in the process I know I can and will reach my goal. I would love to find some other Triathletes to share info with as I gain more experience in the sport. I would also like to share any information I know with anyone interested in the sport who might have questions.

Anyway,
Gotta get to the gym and get some running in.

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Me me me!! I'm a triathlete also. Did a sprint and Oly distance last year. Planning on the same this year and currently training for a full marathon in May. :bigsmile: I love talking running, biking, swimming, so would love to hear what everyone is up to!
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    Me me me!! I'm a triathlete also. Did a sprint and Oly distance last year. Planning on the same this year and currently training for a full marathon in May. :bigsmile: I love talking running, biking, swimming, so would love to hear what everyone is up to!

I knew I'd see you pop up here. :laugh:

Awesome work on the Olympic last year! and I see on your profile you came in 3rd in your age group for the sprint. that is incredible! I'm sure you have a ton of great info to share. What would you say is your strongest dicsipline? what would you say is your weakest. and just out of curiousity, are you following any sort of training schedule?

:drinker:
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    I did a few sprints and an Olympic last year. I am signed up for a half ironman in Miami next October. I am trying to maintain my swim and bike this winter and training for a marathon in Feb. The bike is my best with running my worst. I am working on it. I may never win anything but I enjoy the challenge of being out there. I met a ton of great people last year and look forward to training again in the spring.
  • meerkat88
    meerkat88 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ive never done a marathon or triathlon but I am kinda thinking about it. My older brother has done a half iron man and is a juge jock. Jokingly we talked about doing a sprint as a team with my brother on the bike (his best) my dad doing the swim (he LOVES the water) and then me running. Though I have no aptitude with running. So Ive been running a bit thinking I might try to get the guys to actually do it with me! and maybe Ill even do a sprint someday by myself! (though the swimming portion with all those people seems really scary to me!) so from someone who has done the swim, does it feel like your just going to get trapped under the water!?!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd join your group but long endurance competitions and other activities have always fasinated me. I might lurk or pop in some time. I finished my first 5K a week and a half ago, and agree it's certainly addicting. Swimming and biking are other ativities I enjoy in the summer so I can see a triathalon in my future. I can also see a 50K Ultra. But not yet. I've got to finish week 1 of Gateway to 8K...one run, one pound at a time.
  • Tri_Dad
    Options
    I did a few sprints and an Olympic last year. I am signed up for a half ironman in Miami next October. I am trying to maintain my swim and bike this winter and training for a marathon in Feb. The bike is my best with running my worst. I am working on it. I may never win anything but I enjoy the challenge of being out there. I met a ton of great people last year and look forward to training again in the spring.

You must be very excited about the half iron. that should be a blast. See for me the running is my strong suit (not that a 7:30 miles is strong, but it's getting better.) The swim is what I need work on and the cycling is up in the air. Just got a decent bike at the end of the season so I'll have to wait for the snow to go away before I get a decent assesment on that. lol Glad to have you around!
  • Tri_Dad
    Options
    I don't know that I'd join your group but long endurance competitions and other activities have always fasinated me. I might lurk or pop in some time. I finished my first 5K a week and a half ago, and agree it's certainly addicting. Swimming and biking are other ativities I enjoy in the summer so I can see a triathalon in my future. I can also see a 50K Ultra. But not yet. I've got to finish week 1 of Gateway to 8K...one run, one pound at a time.

Keep up the good work man. You most certainly can complete a tri. The average sprint distance tri is 1/4 mile-1/3 miles swim, 15-16 mile bike and 3.2 mile run. I know the one mile one pound at a time thing. Still live by that one. Better, faster and stronger every day. Please lurk and please pop in. I'll be happy to see you.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm lurking just as a " :noway: " because I think triathletes are amazing. I don't think it's in my future, although I have recently become "a runner" and I've always loved biking and swimming... anyhow, just know that I'll read along and pick my jaw back up off my computer desk when I read about your accomplishments! :flowerforyou:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I used to do sprint tri's and did an Olympic size as a team. My strong part is the swim!!! I would love to get back into them again!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    You must be very excited about the half iron. that should be a blast. See for me the running is my strong suit (not that a 7:30 miles is strong, but it's getting better.) The swim is what I need work on and the cycling is up in the air. Just got a decent bike at the end of the season so I'll have to wait for the snow to go away before I get a decent assesment on that. lol Glad to have you around!

I am excited and nervous about the race. of course I have to get through my marathon first. I run much slower like 10:50 pace for my last half marathon. I think a 7;30 is awesome. I my plan for next year is to have fun and improve a bit from last year.
  • Tri_Dad
    Options
    Good morning folks. Didn't get a swim in this morning. But I work retail and its 3 days before christmas so ill do plenty of running today. Lol. If I don't see you before then have a safe and happy holiday!
  • Tri_Dad
    Options
    Bump,

Got over my cold and got out for a good 5k run. Feels to go be back up in running. How's the off season going for the rest of you?

:drinker:
  • vykkio
    vykkio Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to MFP and am looking forward to hearing about all of your triathlon goals, training and accomplishments! I am a triathlon addict! Once you do one, you will be too!
  • pktbundy
    pktbundy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Its always great to hear the success stories. Have you ever considered riding a century? I am hoping to do one this summer. Taking the extra weight off will be critical to make sure I am not making it any harder on myself. I was started swimming regularly last summer and then got discouraged trying to fix my form using Total Immersion. I guess I wasn't disciplined enough with the drills. Getting back in the water again. Any advice on the swimming efficiently?
  • splooshcar
    Options
    Hi all,
    I thought I'd try to resurrect this thread. I just started running triathlons this summer and would love to post and pick-up tips.

5 mile bike commute tonight followed by 40min run.
    Planning one more event this season, trying to decide between sprint or olympic distance (I know I can finish olympic but the spint is FUN). :smile: