Net Carbs

Options
Atkins was the only thing that worked for me so I am trying a modified version. Is there anyway to track Net Carbs? I have seen a suggestion to make your own version of a meal (i.e. take a salad and subtract out the fiber for a 'net carb' count and save that in the DB as the 'Net Carb' version) but that seems like a Rube Goldberg way. Any other tweaks? Thanks.
Cliff {:{)

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the answer to this but would like to see some of the responses. You may want to put it in a more appropriate category like- Food and Nutrition....I hope that helps you get some responses on this.

Welcome to MFP!!! :smile:
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just learned how to do this!

Starting with the total carbs, subtract all of the dietary fiber and HALF of any sugar alcohols to get your net carbs.
    For example, if the total carbs are listed at 15 grams, with 1 gram of dietary fiber and 8 grams of sugar alcohols, the calculation would be:
    15-1-4=10 grams of net carbs.

for most foods, the total and net carbs will be fairly close. But for foods with a high-fiber or sugar content, the difference between them may be significant.
  • cliff948
    cliff948 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just learned how to do this!

Starting with the total carbs, subtract all of the dietary fiber and HALF of any sugar alcohols to get your net carbs.
    For example, if the total carbs are listed at 15 grams, with 1 gram of dietary fiber and 8 grams of sugar alcohols, the calculation would be:
    15-1-4=10 grams of net carbs.

for most foods, the total and net carbs will be fairly close. But for foods with a high-fiber or sugar content, the difference between them may be significant.

Rainlover711,

Okay, you are correct in how to caculate net carbs. However, how do you use the food dairy to track it?
    BTW: Very pretty picture, is that a real flower?

• cliff948
    cliff948 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the answer to this but would like to see some of the responses. You may want to put it in a more appropriate category like- Food and Nutrition....I hope that helps you get some responses on this.

Welcome to MFP!!! :smile:

Autumnk921,

Thanks for the suggestion, going to post there now.
  • smithntuck
    smithntuck Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am also doing the Atkins thing...try to eat lean meats and keep calories in check, but would really be interested in knowing how to do this with your food diary as well. I have lost over 100 lbs since this time last year, so it works, and I feel so much better!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No, but I can count to 20 if that helps?
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the foods you choose from the listings - if it's a UK food then we list the carbs and the fibre separately :-))
  • What I do for my carbs on here is take the Fiber from the carbs.

So if it says I've eaten 25 carbs and 10 fiber.. I take it off and say I've eaten around 15 carbs.

Maybe not the most accurate thing to do but It's working for me and I don't go over at all!
  • Sorry forgot to add that if I have an atkins bar etc I keep the fiber as I know the net carbs have already been worked out for me!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just make sure the carbs and the fiber and sugar are in the system accurately then subtract it at the end of my day.
  • rainlover711
    rainlover711 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I only track my carbs total, I'm sorry I don't know how to track just the net carbs.

Thanks for the picture comment! Not a real flower though!